Sunshine21

Nervous about my upcoming N400 interview

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Ive been following this forum few years ago and it was very helpful. This is my first time asking a question and I hope to get some opinions.

Here is my story:

I received my GC through a marriage to USC in December 2010. Everything was fine - conditions on I-751 were removed without RFE or interview in May of 2013. I applied for my citizenship in Septemeber 2013 under the 3 year rule and I went for my interview. During the interview the officer requested more evidence that we still were living in the marital union. By that time me and my ex-husband were already having problems but we're trying our best to work them out. I didn't really have anything to add to the packet I sent along with my N400 so I just submitted one more affidavit from my friend and called it a day. I got the letter later saying that I didn't present enough evidence of a valid martial Union and that my n400 was denied.

In March of 2014 I moved to a different state as I found the job of my dreams. My ex-husband didn't go with me even though it was always a plan of ours since the beginning. Later in July 2014 he filled for divorce which was finalized in January 2015.

This September I decided to apply again based on a 5 year rule and I just received my interview letter.

So my question is - could my previous denial 2 years ago be a reason for the denial this year?

I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas you might have or maybe there is someone who had a similar case in the past.

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Expect to be asked about your marriage, the officer has to figure if you entered the marriage with the intention to just get a green card or was a true marriage. As you applied under 5 year rule, I think you should be fine as your application will be based on your residency not your marriage. But you should be prepared to answer some questions.

Remember this is the last step officers has to catch people who commit fraud. Because once a person becomes a citizen, it's hard to take away the citizenship unless fraud or lying to an officer.

Good luck. Keep us posted with your interview experience.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Silkafi88, thanks for your response! I am definitely expecting questions and I'm all prepared to answer them:) will definitely post here how my interview goes!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Grenada
Timeline

I agree with what the other poster said. Be prepared to ask about your marriage. You may even be lucky and IO may not even ask you about your marriage. My sis in law applied under 5 years rule and even though she is divorced from her husband who gave her the green card IO only ask her if she will ever marry again and was make conversations with her. She was approved and had her oath in less than 30 days after.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.