Metope

AOS Interview - When will I get the notice?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

Hi, I arrived in the US on a K1 visa in late July, got married in August and filed my AOS early September. In October I got a notification on the USCIS case tracker app that my case had been updated:

"As of October 19, 2015, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSC-, for an interview. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice. Please follow any instructions in the notice."

It's been four weeks now and I still haven't received the notice. I moved houses in October, but I notified USCIS about the change immediately and they sent me a notice in the mail to my new address informing me that they've updated my address in their system, so that shouldn't be a problem, right? Is it normal to have to wait this long to receive the notice? I'm terrified the notice got lost in the mail and that I won't get it and miss my interview date, or that the notice will arrive late and I won't have enough time to gather whatever information it is they need before the interview. If anyone who has been through this could let me know how long it took for their notice to arrive I'd really appreciate it. Or should I just contact USCIS and ask them what's happening?

Another thing, the date on my case tracker has been changed, it now says "As of November 2..." instead of October 19th. Why on earth has the date changed?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Fam.-based AOS Progress Forum~

~Inquiry about case status~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

You're likely still in the queue for interview scheduling, so no notice has been sent out yet. It will probably take a few more weeks/months until you are up for an interview.

On 31st August, Seattle was processing I-485s filed on or before 20th December 2014. Even assuming a linear progression (which it probably isn't) you are probably 4-5 months away from your interview.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline

You're likely still in the queue for interview scheduling, so no notice has been sent out yet. It will probably take a few more weeks/months until you are up for an interview.

On 31st August, Seattle was processing I-485s filed on or before 20th December 2014. Even assuming a linear progression (which it probably isn't) you are probably 4-5 months away from your interview.

Thanks for the fast reply! I initially assumed it would be a few months from I filed until I actually got an interview date, but the case tracker update threw me off since I thought an update meant they were ready to send out the notice. I've also talked to someone else on the forum who got their notice three weeks after her case status got updated, but she lives in California so it's probably different there. Why would they say my case is ready to be scheduled for an interview when it's still months off then? Argh I guess I'm just being impatient. Thanks again, at least I won't have to worry! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.