jebetot

B1/B2 from K1 sponsor

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Basically I want to invite my parents to come here in the US to attend my wedding. I am a K1 visa holder and just been in the US for 3 weeks. I just have a few questions regarding tourist visa.

1. Can my fiancee be their sponsor? or as long as they can proved they have enough money they need no sponsor.

2. Do they need to book an interview appointment with USEM separately or there is an option where they can add people on their interview slot. I know they need separate ds 160 ?

3. Do i need to send them any documents such as marriage license, NOA2 , copy of approved petition or any documents in line with my marriage since that is the main purpose of their visit?

tia ?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Basically I want to invite my parents to come here in the US to attend my wedding. I am a K1 visa holder and just been in the US for 3 weeks. I just have a few questions regarding tourist visa.

1. Can my fiancee be their sponsor? or as long as they can proved they have enough money they need no sponsor. Your fiancee can not sponsor your parents. No one can sponsor another person for a visitor visa. Your fiancee can pay or your parents can pay; however it's better if your parents can pay for their own trip. Your parents will have to qualify on their own merits by showing strong ties to their home country to overcome the presumptions that all visitor visa applicants intend to immigrate.

2. Do they need to book an interview appointment with USEM separately or there is an option where they can add people on their interview slot. I know they need separate ds 160 ?

3. Do i need to send them any documents such as marriage license, NOA2 , copy of approved petition or any documents in line with my marriage since that is the main purpose of their visit? There is nothing that you can send them that will help. Their reason for going to the US is not important.

tia ?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Your parents will have to prove to the satisfaction of the US consular official at the interviewing US embassy in Manila, that they have significant ties to the Phils such that they would return to the Phils after their US visit is completed. Such ties could include, property, house ownership, current stable employment, etc. Each visitor visa applicant is presumed to have immigration intent, and must prove that they are not trying to immigrate to the US. A letter from a doctor, any documents from you, or any other invitation-type letter would likely have no positive effect on the visitor visa approval.

Check in with the folks at the Phil Regional Forum about scheduling the interviews, etc.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Your parents need to qualify based on their own merit. There is no such thing as sponsoring a tourist visa.

To prove strong ties to home country they may bring bank deposits/savings, assets, business ownership, title of the house(s) they own, or if they have a dependant child staying behind that is still at school, they can bring a letter from the school or university stating that he/she is a student.

Not sure about question #2 but yes DS-160 is separate. In my personal experience, me and both my parents attended the same interview together. The CO asked where are we going, when and how long, she even asked me what do I do for a living at that time.

So be prepared, some CO are lax and don't ask a lot of questions but some are into details and scrutinize more.

My interview was like 10-15 minutes because the CO had to muddle through the documents we presented.

Good luck and congrats on your engagement

Timeline

Ok guys thanks for the replies. I guess as long as they have strong evidences of ties in the Phils they would be granted a tourist visa. One more question though, my Dad have a history of travelling in the US for work purposes ( he's a retired officer of the Phil Army) and when I asked him he doesnt remember what type of NON-IV it was and don't remember signing up any ds160 as all papers were prepared by the Philippine Army for him. Will that complicate things since were signing up for a new ds160 ? ?? or its just me complicating things hehe need advice Thanks again..

Timeline

Your father's travel history is very helpful. It does not complicate things since its helpful. It's just you complicating things. :-)

haha thanks a lot. ? do you know if they need to present police clerances??

Filed: Timeline

Would like to recount my future MIL's B2 interview experience today at the US Embassy in Beijing China. The purpose of her intended travel would be to attend our wedding coming up very shortly.

It is true: nobody "sponsors" another person for a visitor's visa. As stated by somebody above (or in another thread) a plan that wholey relies on a US citizen to support the traveler might even accentuate inadequate reason to return home to the visitor's country.

So my (nearly) MIL was approved, likely based on home ownership, employement and marriage. However, the officer DID want to see the invitation letter I sent to her (he read it) and DID want to see the passport (or copied pages) of her daughter, showing the K1 visa. So, it is not true that NOTHING you send will help their interview and if the officers did NOT care what is the purpose of your trip they might not ask "why do you want to visit the US"?

So, I, too, was wrong, lost the $5 bet, insisting that the invite letter is unnecessary and will be ignored. Invitations from the USC are helpful for reference and corraboration of the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

Would like to recount my future MIL's B2 interview experience today at the US Embassy in Beijing China. The purpose of her intended travel would be to attend our wedding coming up very shortly.

It is true: nobody "sponsors" another person for a visitor's visa. As stated by somebody above (or in another thread) a plan that wholey relies on a US citizen to support the traveler might even accentuate inadequate reason to return home to the visitor's country.

So my (nearly) MIL was approved, likely based on home ownership, employement and marriage. However, the officer DID want to see the invitation letter I sent to her (he read it) and DID want to see the passport (or copied pages) of her daughter, showing the K1 visa. So, it is not true that NOTHING you send will help their interview and if the officers did NOT care what is the purpose of your trip they might not ask "why do you want to visit the US"?

So, I, too, was wrong, lost the $5 bet, insisting that the invite letter is unnecessary and will be ignored. Invitations from the USC are helpful for reference and corraboration of the rest.

Thanks for sharing what did work, I have read many threads on here and it is like people are afraid to say what really did work and what did not.

we have asked mom (mother inlaw, my mom is deceased) to get her passport and we are going to have apply for a tourist visa.

Background wife has been here a year but was living and working abroad for 12 years before coming here and has not been home in 5 years, wife is about to deliver our first and only child in a couple of weeks. We want mom to come visit and see her latest grad daughter.

Here is what we are planning on including;

A letter or email of invite from me, since I work USG an agency than USCIS, I thought it might help

A letter from mom's church pastor, she heavily involved in the church, not sure what to have him say, any input from anyone who has done this would help.

a copy of wife's visa showing she did everything legal to get here.

a copy of our daughter birth certificate,

Mom has a small farm in Phil, somehow get proof of this, not sure what to include here, any suggestions?

Mom manages my wife's boarding house in Phil, we need to somehow show proof of this and her intent to return to manage it

Not sure who's name the electric bill is in, I guess we need to make sure it is correct

copy of her bank statement

Sister inlaw is a teacher, working on her masters degree with two children and husband is a seaman (gone 6-8 months at a time) mom takes care of her two children during the day, we were going to ask sister to write a letter stating this, we figure it is more proof of intent to return to phil.

we know a phil preacher who visits US and other countries regularly, we were wandering if a letter from him of some kind would help and a copy of passport book,

anyone have any good examples of what else works or what does not work??

Filed: Timeline

I get the feeling that is a bit much (though it may not hurt to have these things on hand). They realy want to know a reason she will return, which is employment, a healthy bank account or other assets. A husband waiting at home is good, too.

The letter from you is good, but a pastor's letter would seem like a character reference which I don't think carries any weight. Citing your work place: well, your call. I, too, work for a US agency but I did not want to drag that into the picture. Baby birth certificate: supports the stated "purpose of visit". I think a mention of the other grand children fills out the picture of "back home".

A million MILs must come here every year to visit family so I think this is pretty routine. And, they're not all uber-wealthy people, quite the contrary, actually. Good luck!

Thanks for the input, we do not want to do anything to hurt the chances. Mom has to travel to Manila and would have to spend a couple of nights there for the interview and travel back home, so as with everyone else it takes time and costs money. Do not want to waste either.

Can anyone tell me, do they require an NBI clearance for a tourist Visa, if so we they take time we will go ahead and get the ball rolling for that as well. Or if you think it will help her show does not have a record of any kind we will have her get one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.