kimlynn

Bringing mother in the U.S (confused)

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I just recently became a U.S Citizen and I'm planning on applying I-30 for my parents. My father doesn't want to come here and live. My mother is looking out for her sick mother in the Philippines (my grandmother) and my younger sisters and brother are still in school there. But, she is willing to come and visit here only for summer (so the kids won't be in school). Now, I'm thinking, if there is any possibility of being approved of Tourist Visa? I want her and my youngest sister to visit me just for summer . The problem is, both of my parents don't have a job. I'm supporting them all. Can I sponsor my mom and little sis trips etc?. I need some ideas from people who had experienced this kind of situation. Also, if I petition my mother for a greencard, how long does she needs to stay here in the U.S? Can she still go back to the Philippines and stay for a few months ? Any ideas will be very appreciated :)

Edited by kimlynn

If your mom becomes an LPR (green card holder), she can live in the US for however long she wants because she's attesting that she'd make the US her permanent home (thus, permanent residence). If she's thinking of filing for US Citizenship, she has to meet continuous residency requirements in the US for at least 5 years, with 30 months of the immediate period before filing date of citizenship she needs to be here in the US.

She can visit the Philippines and stay for less than a year. If she plans to be out of the US for over a year, she has to apply (prior to traveling to the Philippines) for a reentry permit (valid for 2 years). If she is not able to, she would be considered to have abandoned her green card status.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

if she doesn't want to live here then a GC is useless, the purpose of a GC is to live in the US

you cannot sponsor anyone for a tourist visa, tourist visas are granted on their own merits, they must show strong ties to their country

you supporting them has zero chance for them to get a tourist visa, because they could stay with you and live here

they have no money, no job, no income and you are supporting them

hi

if she doesn't want to live here then a GC is useless, the purpose of a GC is to live in the US

you cannot sponsor anyone for a tourist visa, tourist visas are granted on their own merits, they must show strong ties to their country

you supporting them has zero chance for them to get a tourist visa, because they could stay with you and live here

they have no money, no job, no income and you are supporting them

You're right. It will be very impossible for her to get approved of tourist visa . I think, she will change her mind about living here. She's just thinking about my sisters and brother. Thank you for the ideas!:)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You're right. It will be very impossible for her to get approved of tourist visa . I think, she will change her mind about living here. She's just thinking about my sisters and brother. Thank you for the ideas! :)

How old are your brothers and sisters? Do they want to immigrate to the US?

If your mom becomes an LPR (green card holder), she can live in the US for however long she wants because she's attesting that she'd make the US her permanent home (thus, permanent residence). If she's thinking of filing for US Citizenship, she has to meet continuous residency requirements in the US for at least 5 years, with 30 months of the immediate period before filing date of citizenship she needs to be here in the US.

She can visit the Philippines and stay for less than a year. If she plans to be out of the US for over a year, she has to apply (prior to traveling to the Philippines) for a reentry permit (valid for 2 years). If she is not able to, she would be considered to have abandoned her green card status.

Thank you for that information. It's very helpful. What do I have to file for my mom aside from the Form I-30? I read that some people sent form i-30 with form i-485 at the same time?

How old are your brothers and sisters? Do they want to immigrate to the US?

I have 2 older sisters, 28 yrs old (married) and 27( not married) , 15 yrs old(sister), 12 yrs old(brother), and 11(sister). The 3 younger ones are very close to me and we always communicate and they want to study here. My husband want them to live here too.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I have 2 older sisters, 28 yrs old (married) and 27( not married) , 15 yrs old(sister), 12 yrs old(brother), and 11(sister). The 3 younger ones are very close to me and we always communicate and they want to study here. My husband want them to live here too.

Ok. This is what you need to do.

1. You, USC, petition for your mom. This will take about 1 year.

2. As soon as your mother passes US immigration at the airport on her immigration visa, her visa will be stamped and serve as her temporary green card.

3. On the day that mom enters the US and get her temporary green card stamped visa, she can file for her 16 years old, 13 years old, and 12 years old. It takes about 2 years to petition them.

4. Mom moves in with you. She applies for a state ID card and open a bank account using her new address.

5. Mom files for a Re-Entry Permit that allows her to be outside the US for up to 2 years without if affecting her green card status. It could take a few months to get the RE Permit.

6. Using the RE Permit, mom can return to the PI to care for her mom.

7. Mom files US tax returns.

8. Mom returns to the US before her children interview for their visas and before the 2 years on her RE Permit.

9. Brother and sisters get their immigration visa and comes to the US. As green card holders, they can go to school in the US. Green card holders can get financial aid for college.

10. Mom can keep her green card to live in the US. If she decides to give it up and go back to the PI, it does not affect her children. Once they have their green cards, her giving up her card does not affect them.

As a green card holder, mom can not file for her married daughter. Only a USC can file for a married daughter.

It would take 10 years for a green card holder to file for an unmarried daughter over 21 in the PI. Mom would have to maintain her status for the entire 10 years and must live in the US.

Best of luck

Ok. This is what you need to do.

1. You, USC, petition for your mom. This will take about 1 year.

2. As soon as your mother passes US immigration at the airport on her immigration visa, her visa will be stamped and serve as her temporary green card.

3. On the day that mom enters the US and get her temporary green card stamped visa, she can file for her 16 years old, 13 years old, and 12 years old. It takes about 2 years to petition them.

4. Mom moves in with you. She applies for a state ID card and open a bank account using her new address.

5. Mom files for a Re-Entry Permit that allows her to be outside the US for up to 2 years without if affecting her green card status. It could take a few months to get the RE Permit.

6. Using the RE Permit, mom can return to the PI to care for her mom.

7. Mom files US tax returns.

8. Mom returns to the US before her children interview for their visas and before the 2 years on her RE Permit.

9. Brother and sisters get their immigration visa and comes to the US. As green card holders, they can go to school in the US. Green card holders can get financial aid for college.

10. Mom can keep her green card to live in the US. If she decides to give it up and go back to the PI, it does not affect her children. Once they have their green cards, her giving up her card does not affect them.

As a green card holder, mom can not file for her married daughter. Only a USC can file for a married daughter.

It would take 10 years for a green card holder to file for an unmarried daughter over 21 in the PI. Mom would have to maintain her status for the entire 10 years and must live in the US.

Best of luck

Thank you so much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.