kryssy

I-797 Notice of Action /I-751 Reciept Notice, to travel back home

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi, so i recently filed my AOS, my 2 year greencard expiered May 16th 2015, I did my biometrics on the june 12 2015 and i recieved a I-751 receipt notice letter, just wanted to make sure that this letter was like a tempory greencard, in other words can i use this to travel back home (jamaica) as my green card? I dont want to have any problems coming back to the U.S. Iwill be traveling next week, Please help.

Thanks

Edited by kryssy

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to ROC Forum~

~Inquiry about I-751 receipt~

(mod hat off)

Sorry, a bit confused... You recently filed AOS? But you got a I-751 receipt?

Form I-751 is for Removal of Conditions: http://www.uscis.gov/i-751 . If you got a I-751 receipt (Form I-197 extension letter), then the paragraph right underneath the amount received, speaks about your conditional status being extended for one year for authorized work and travel. That receipt is your authorization letter, DO NOT LOSE IT! Make and save some photocopies.

If that is the document that you have, then for international travel, then you will need your expired conditional (?) Green Card (I-551), your original Form I-797 extension letter (I-751 receipt), and your valid passport to travel back and forth home.

There have been reports of some airlines having issues with the extension letter, be sure to check this out before you travel.

I think I got it straight, hopefully others will also respond.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Please forgive me, I used a agency to do all my paper works so i dont really know the correct terms, so removal of conditions correct..... so i have the expired green card i have the I-797 extention letter and i have a valid passport. so i think am all set then.....thanks alot, my daughter (which this is her timeline) just did her interview on october 26th, she is 17, and i have to go get her in jamaica

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I understand fully that there are cases where travel is desirable related to an emergency situation.

However, I am amazed at the number of people on this forum who seem to want/need to travel when there is always some risk involved. i.e. Risk of not getting back into USA.

This process is critical and tons of problems can develop where applicants travel, change locations, change jobs, etc. at or around critical dates.

Seems to be totally logical and the best choice to sit tight until new cards are firmly in hand . . . except for true life threatening events.

Note; I am putting this here in this thread because I am just now reading it. It is not aimed at current poster any more than it is aimed at all such who do this.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

The letter you received clearly states that you are authorized for work and travel for a period of one year. This, alongside the expired Green Card, will be more than sufficient to regain entry into the United States.

However, you can also choose to make an InfoPass appointment and ask the Immigration Officer to provide you with an I-551 stamp in your own passport. This will serve as a temporary Green Card (usually for 6 months or 1 year) and can be used in lieu of the letter. They will likely take your expired Green Card in exchange.

Be prepared for the eternal waiting game. Be prepared for average news.

Adjustment of Status Journey

Spoiler

07/16/2013 - Successful interview, 2-yr Green Card approved!

Removal of Conditions Journey

Spoiler

11/03/2015 - Approved, card production ordered (164 days!)

11/10/2015 - 10-yr Green Card received (IR6) -- journey over for now!

Citizenship Journey (N-400)

Spoiler

07/15/2019 - Ceremony scheduled for 07/31/2019
07/31/2019 - Journey is finally over. Citizen of the USA.

Timeline

~Attempted thread hijack post moved to new thread~

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/574617-roc-inquiry-split-thread/

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Edited by Pitaya

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Cover your butt walk into infopass and get I 551 stamp in your PP even with that letter (travel smoothly)

Hi, so i went to jamaica to pick up my daughter and coming back was no problem all they needed was my expired green card, my extension letter and my passport, it was very smooth.

Timeline

I understand fully that there are cases where travel is desirable related to an emergency situation.

However, I am amazed at the number of people on this forum who seem to want/need to travel when there is always some risk involved. i.e. Risk of not getting back into USA.

This process is critical and tons of problems can develop where applicants travel, change locations, change jobs, etc. at or around critical dates.

Seems to be totally logical and the best choice to sit tight until new cards are firmly in hand . . . except for true life threatening events.

Note; I am putting this here in this thread because I am just now reading it. It is not aimed at current poster any more than it is aimed at all such who do this.

Hi, I had to go pick up my daughter who is 17 who was migrating here to the USA (her first time leaving the island), which was very very important, going and comig back was verrrrrrrry smooth I had no problem, all they needed was my expired green card, my ëxtension letter and my passport. I appreciate your help thanks.

Timeline

Hi, so i went to jamaica to pick up my daughter and coming back was no problem all they needed was my expired green card, my extension letter and my passport, it was very smooth.

That is excellent news, glad that is worked out for you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.