28 posts in this topic

Well I meant not necessarily, since five years needs to have elapsed since you committed the offence to qualify as a youthful offender. It also needs to have been at least five years since you were released from jail or prison, if your offence resulted in a custodial sentence.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Timeline

Well I meant not necessarily, since five years needs to have elapsed since you committed the offence to qualify as a youthful offender. It also needs to have been at least five years since you were released from jail or prison, if your offence resulted in a custodial sentence.

The youthful offender exception and the petty offence exception only comes into action when a juvenile was charged in an adult court. If they were charged as juveniles they are admitting to an act of juvenile delinquency, which is not a CIMT. I know this from personal experience and from lawyers, (I am not being rude i am very interested as it is quite complicated).

So, if he did commit these two crimes whilst he was under 18 and was not charged as an adult, he has not committed CIMTs.

Most likely though, he was an adult... So he can fall under the petty offences exception, if he has committed only one CIMT which we think he has; The noncitizen must have committed only one CIMT (ever); (2) The noncitizen must not have been “sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of six months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed)” 6 and (3) The offense must have a maximum possible sentence of one year.

Correct - the one CIMT rule is the "petty offence" exception.

OP does not seem to want to return to fill in the blanks right now anyway.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I don't know what to say but it isn't good being pessimistic like you are right now.

I'm sorry if I sound negative or pessimistic but is a reality

Timeline

The youthful offender exception and the petty offence exception only comes into action when a juvenile was charged in an adult court. If they were charged as juveniles they are admitting to an act of juvenile delinquency, which is not a CIMT. I know this from personal experience and from lawyers, (I am not being rude i am very interested as it is quite complicated).

So, if he did commit these two crimes whilst he was under 18 and was not charged as an adult, he has not committed CIMTs.

Most likely though, he was an adult... So he can fall under the petty offences exception, if he has committed only one CIMT which we think he has; The noncitizen must have committed only one CIMT (ever); (2) The noncitizen must not have been “sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of six months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed)” 6 and (3) The offense must have a maximum possible sentence of one year.

Thank you V24 for your reply,I will be more specific,I came here legally with Tourist Visa in 1995 and I was 18 years old,then these issues were in 2001 when I was 23,today I am 38 years old.

Stalking sentence was 1 month in jail.

Criminal Tresspasing sentence was 7 months but I did 4 months.

Edited by Robinhood21

Timeline

How so?

I talked to a friend of mine about this and she was like:" you are married with a US Citizen,you have nothing to worry about it,they won't do anything,that issue happenes long time ago"

I also talked to one private lawyer and he asked me a few questions like...

- did you enter legally or illegaly??....legally

- how long ago??...20 years ago

- did you ever traveled out the country?? no,20 years of the physical permanence/presence

- when was the crime??....2001

- did you finished the probation,pay the fines and/or comply with the court order??.....yes

At the end he was like:"I don't see any issues,it's not a big deal,but I would like to talk to you in person,so if you can make an appoinment and I charge $250.00 per hour....blah blah blah"

He said he wants to talk to me in person,about what?? he already know the details of my case,I think he wants my money and no way jose.

Timeline

So if the stalking offence maximum penalty is under one year, you will fall under the petty offence exception. It may not even be a CIMT though, do the research to find this out.

Again,thank you.

I did and you are right and to be honest with you,may be I worry way to much

Timeline

So if the stalking offence maximum penalty is under one year, you will fall under the petty offence exception. It may not even be a CIMT though, do the research to find this out.

......also I don't know if at the interview I will have the opportunity to talk or give an explenation of what happened 15 years ago with these issues,do you know???

Timeline

Yup you will, they will 100 percent ask you about it. I would get a lawyer with you to be safe, he can explain the exception if needed or stop them from asking misleading questions.

oh yes,I can do that my self.

I did a research and find out that if the couple goes without a lawyer,the interview could turn into a interrogation,also if you feel like the officer disrespect you or was rude or unfair or violate your rights,you can politely request to talk to the supervisor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.