bealugoccs

What happens if I miss the deadline to ROC?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: H3 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

My husband's 2 years gc expires in 8 weeks and due to some financial issues, we haven't been able to file the i751.

What happen if we pass/miss the expiration date? can we still send the petition after that date?

He'll be out of status if you pass the date and have not filed, and they can begin removal proceedings. If you are filing late, you have to provide an explanation as to why you couldn't file sooner.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage

If You Are Late In Applying To Remove The Conditions On Residence

If you fail to properly file Form I-751 within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident:

• Your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and we will begin removal proceedings against you
  • You will receive a notice from us telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions
  • You will receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing. At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for proving that you complied with the requirements (we are not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements)

The Form I-751 can be filed after the 90-day period if you can prove in writing to the director of the appropriate Service Center that there was good cause for failing to file the petition on time. The director has the discretion to approve the petition and restore your permanent resident status.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-5 Country: Venezuela
Timeline

bealugoccs,

I went through ROC, it is IMPERATIVE that you file within the allotted time... You do not want to delay or jeopardize your process at this point. You have already accomplished a lot.

You can get an advance on your check, or loan, or a loan from a friend, or anything... its only $590!!!

It is very important that you file it within the allotted timeframe. Best of Luck!

CURRENT PROCESS:
I-130 for Mom in Venezuela (Approved) - On To NVC Processing
MM - DD
03-13 - Sent I-130 Package To Phoenix, AZ
03-14 - Package Delivered
03-19 - Received Text from USCIS case was received, and Receipt #.
03-19 - Received E-mail from USCIS case was accepted and routed to USCIS Nebraska Service Center
03-19 - Opened account on USCIS.gov to check case status
03-23 - Received the Form I-797C Notice of Action Priority Date March 16th, 2015
08-06 - Received e-mail notice RFE Letter would be sent.
08-10 - Received RFE (PROOF OF NAME CHANGE for Mom)
08-19 - Sent RFE Response
08-21 - USCIS Received my response to RFE
08-21 - Received e-mail notice "Your Case Status: Request for Evidence Response Review"
09-01 - Received e-mail I-130 was approved
I-130 Approved in 172 days - 5.65 Months
09-10 - I-797, Notice of Action sent to me by mail
09-14 - Received I-797, Notice of Action I-130 Approved
09-17 - Received Text from USCIS case status is updated online
09-17 - Received Email from USCIS: Case Was Sent To The Department of State
09-17 - Checked online status: Case Was Sent To The Department of State
09-22 - NVC Received my case
10-01 - NVC Assigned Case Number
10-02 - NVC Date of Welcome Letter to Petitioner
10-05 - NVC Welcome Letter Envelope Postage Stamp Date
10-06 - Called NVC and got Case # and Invoice #
10-06 - Logged in Online and Completed COA form DS-261 & AOS Payment
10-08 - Called NVC - Case still locked for approval of COA & Payment of IV Fee
10-09 - Received NVC Welcome Letter, AOS Bill & Document Cover Sheet
10-14 - Called NVC Got COA Reviewed Over The Phone
10-15 - Received IV Fee Invoice By Email
10-16 - Paid IV Fee
10-19 - IV Fee Appears as PAID and DS-260 IV Application OPEN
MM - DD
03-31 - Sent AOS & IV Packets to NVC Overnighted
04-01 - Packages delivered to NVC
04-02 - Completed and Submitted DS-260 IV Application Online
04-02 - NVC SCAN DATE
05-02 - CASE COMPLETE!
05-09 - Received CC Email from NVC
05-09 - Received letter Re: updated mailing/email address for this case ???
05-16 - Received Email with INTERVIEW DATE (P4)
05-19 - Received actual INTERVIEW DATE (P4) letter in the mail
05-25 - NVC Sent Case To Embassy (CEAC Status Changed to In Transit)
06-28 - INTERVIEW DATE
06-28 APPROVED in 468 days FROM I-130 NOA1- 15.38 Months
08-28 - Point Of Entry POE Miami International Airport - Miami, Florida
09-09 - Received Social Security Number Card in the Mail (Middle Name Cut Off)
10-04 - Received Text & Email of Updated USCIS.gov Case Status: New Card Being Produced
10-07 - Received Text & Email of Updated USCIS.gov Case Status: New Card Has been Mailed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

His permanent residency will end if you do not file before it expires. You still have 8 weeks, so do what you have to and get it filed in time.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

From the Form I-751 instructions (emphasis added):

When Should I File Form I-751?

1. Filing jointly. If you are filing this petition jointly with your spouse, you must file it during the 90 day period immediately before your conditional residence expires.

2. Filing with a request that the joint filing requirement be waived. You may file this petition at any time after you are granted conditional resident status and before you are removed from the U.S.

3. Effect of not filing. If this petition is not filed, you will automatically lose your permanent resident status as of the second anniversary of the date on which you were granted conditional status. You will then become removable from the United States.

SPECIAL NOTE: If your failure to file was through no fault of your own, you may file your petition late with a written explanation and request that USCIS excuse the late filing. Failure to file before the expiration date may be excused if you demonstrate when you submit the petition that the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control and that the length of the delay was reasonable.

REF:http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

I would encourage you to avoid late filing of the ROC petition.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.