greg&dawn

Expired NOA2 Date and Possible Denial at POE even with VALID K1

24 posts in this topic

You've told me what I've meant, what my worries are, and what was in my email - and it didn't cost me a dime - just time I could've been sleeping. I know you'll get your last word in, but you'll have to find a new target....I'm going to bed. It's been a pleasure.

The only question I've asked is who extends NOA2s. That's it. I've admitted the information is unreliable and I simply wanted to know who to contact to confirm. So imagine my frustration when I reach out to a forum of 'like' individuals and not only do i get one condescending response about who to contact but multiple replies insinuating I'm just not bright enough to follow simple dialogue to understand that my question was answered multiple times, when in fact, everything but my question was answered (with the exception of 'obviously the embassy...thanks). I've never responded to threads in this way....you just never know what people are dealing with day-to-day. Can't wait to wake up in four hours to read all the other understanding replies.

Perhaps no one can tell you how to contact because it is not a very common issue to occure, and the right people have yet to see this thread (the ones with experiences at POE who have been wrongly denied for the NOA2 being expired). Generally, as I know you know, this isn't something that happens so most people won't know who to contact since it doesn't come up. Maybe you could try contacting Montreal again and only ask how to extend your NOA2 and don't mention POE so that the person replying won't give you the same generic response? The person at Montreal who responded probably was doing the same thing we were and overlooking what you really asked because they were caught up on the POE part of it.

At the end of the day, please try not to stress and please maybe reconsider your feelings that we were all responding to you negatively. Some inflictions over text can be inconsistent with what the poster was truly trying to say. Of course it is understandable that you want to be prepared, but since I'm not sure there is anyone else you can contact about the extention you may need to prepare yourself that there's nothing you can do about the possibility of the officials at your POE being difficult and this may not be a base that you can cover.

Another thought actually, is maybe try contacting the NVC about extending? There should be a 1-800 phone number on one of your NOA's that is for Customer Service.. maybe they can help in some way? I'm not entirely sure, but it may be worth a shot if you continue to get no useful information from Montreal.

I hope you have a smooth POE and (like most things with this whole crazy process) all of this stress ends up being for nothing at all. I wish you luck, and I'm sorry there aren't any helpful answers to ease this process for you.

K-1 Visa Process (182 days from I-129F filed -> Visa in Hand)

May 10th, 2015: Got Engaged!

June 12th 2015: Fiance filed I-129F, June 19th, 2015: (NOA1) Received at California Service Center

July 23rd, 2015: (NOA2) NVC received

Aug 31st, 2015: NVC Approved and fwd case to consulate in Montreal. MTL case # given.

Sept 8th, 2015: MTL received and sent P3 by mail, Sept 18th, 2015: P3 received in mail, Sept 18th, 2015: DS-160 completed and P3 documents sent by e-mail

Sept 21st, 2015: P3 Approved. Received P4 by e-mail, Sept 21st, 2015: Booked K-1 Visa interview for December 2nd, 2015!!

Oct 2nd, 2015: Booked Medical in Toronto for November 12th, 2015

Nov. 12th, 2015: Medical done in Toronto, ON with Dr Lyndon Mascarenhas. Highly recommend him!!

Nov. 17th, 2015: Medical results delivered by Purolator

Dec. 2nd, 2015: Interview in Montreal... APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 9th, 2015: CEAC status changed to Issued!

Dec. 11th, 2015: Ready for pickup at Waterloo location. Picked up and Visa in Hand!

K-1 AOS Process (72 days from I-485 filed -> Green Card in Hand)

Spoiler

POE: Dec. 16th, 2015 by U-Haul @ Port Huron <p>

AOS, EAD, AP (72 days from package sent -> Green Card in hand)

Jan. 1st, 2016: Civil Ceremony <3

Jan. 29th, 2016: Applied for SSN

Feb. 2nd, 2016: Sent off AOS packet

Feb. 9th, 2016: NOA1's received by text & e-mail

Feb. 13th, 2016: NOA1 hard copies received in the mail

Feb. 23rd, 2016: Biometrics letter in mail received for Feb 29th!

Feb. 23rd, 2016: SSN received in the mail

Feb. 29th, 2016: Successful Biometrics appointment in Tampa, FL

April 7th, 2016: Green Card in production!!!

April 11th, 2016: Green Card in Mail

April 13th, 2016: Received Green Card :)

Removal of Conditions Process

Jan 16th, 2018: Mailed Form I-751 to CSC

Jan 18th, 2018: USPS Delivered to CSC

Jan. 24th, 2018: NOA1 received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You've told me what I've meant, what my worries are, and what was in my email - and it didn't cost me a dime - just time I could've been sleeping. I know you'll get your last word in, but you'll have to find a new target....I'm going to bed. It's been a pleasure.

I answered your first question...and I explained what the email meant because I do have experience with it. Like I told you, you are wasting your time....glad you finally realize that.

Perhaps no one can tell you how to contact because it is not a very common issue to occure, and the right people have yet to see this thread (the ones with experiences at POE who have been wrongly denied for the NOA2 being expired). Generally, as I know you know, this isn't something that happens so most people won't know who to contact since it doesn't come up. Maybe you could try contacting Montreal again and only ask how to extend your NOA2 and don't mention POE so that the person replying won't give you the same generic response? The person at Montreal who responded probably was doing the same thing we were and overlooking what you really asked because they were caught up on the POE part of it.

At the end of the day, please try not to stress and please maybe reconsider your feelings that we were all responding to you negatively. Some inflictions over text can be inconsistent with what the poster was truly trying to say. Of course it is understandable that you want to be prepared, but since I'm not sure there is anyone else you can contact about the extention you may need to prepare yourself that there's nothing you can do about the possibility of the officials at your POE being difficult and this may not be a base that you can cover.

Another thought actually, is maybe try contacting the NVC about extending? There should be a 1-800 phone number on one of your NOA's that is for Customer Service.. maybe they can help in some way? I'm not entirely sure, but it may be worth a shot if you continue to get no useful information from Montreal.

I hope you have a smooth POE and (like most things with this whole crazy process) all of this stress ends up being for nothing at all. I wish you luck, and I'm sorry there aren't any helpful answers to ease this process for you.

Thank you very much... They are good suggestions and your understanding is appreciated. This journey is actually what I'm holding onto for strength. I just don't know what I'd do if we got down to that day, and we end up being the rarity I've read about. I just wanted to cover any reason that might come up so he'll be by my side when we cross the border. Thanks again.

Just per your question as to who extends the NOA2, the US Embassy in your country does.

I understand your worries since there was recently an actual case of anomaly.

Thank you and I'll reach out to them tomorrow. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Virtually all of us (Canadians) have had the NOA2 extended prior to our K1 interviews, in particular through Montreal since things can be slow...once you have the VISA in hand and that is all you show at the border along with your package.

Many of us have stressed about it but I hope that puts your mind at ease. Is there a particular reason you're uneasy about it?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Virtually all of us (Canadians) have had the NOA2 extended prior to our K1 interviews, in particular through Montreal since things can be slow...once you have the VISA in hand and that is all you show at the border along with your package.

Many of us have stressed about it but I hope that puts your mind at ease. Is there a particular reason you're uneasy about it?

Hi there,

Greg and I have not been concerned about his process because there is nothing unusual about our situation or anything that would be questioned. We have looked at the interview process and our approval as the final step; we could finally take a breather. After his interview and we were approved, I started reading forums about the POE and what to expect. I read things like creating a checklist of everything you have packed, being prepared for them to unpack everything, understanding that you may just end up with someone on a power trip that will make things more difficult than they should be, and then I read posts about expired NOA2 dates and border officials denying you access if that was the case. These people were devastated and when they attempted to explain, the officer was defensive and wouldn't listen. One of the moderators on here suggested that they ask to speak to the supervisor because they cannot do that. I agree and understand all of that....however, if a simple extension would bypass the risk of that happening, and apparently, getting it extended is something easily done, then why not just get it extended to be safe?

That was my only motivation here. We have a couple of months before he moves over so since we had the time, I just thought we could cover that detail just in case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I saw that post as well (it was a Canadian I believe?) it was absolutely heartbreaking. I think that is the only instance of that ever happening, someone else may know of another. Montreal probably has no clue this would ever happen and the doh-head border guy was being a power-trip jerk and certainly didn't understand what he was doing. Just know that Montreal may not see any reason to since once you have the Visa in hand, it essentially overrides that NOA2 expiration date.

I wonder what has happened to that person's case?

ps - the border folks seldom if ever do anything more then glance at your truck/vehicle. Being prepared with the packing list is the best defense

Hi there,

Greg and I have not been concerned about his process because there is nothing unusual about our situation or anything that would be questioned. We have looked at the interview process and our approval as the final step; we could finally take a breather. After his interview and we were approved, I started reading forums about the POE and what to expect. I read things like creating a checklist of everything you have packed, being prepared for them to unpack everything, understanding that you may just end up with someone on a power trip that will make things more difficult than they should be, and then I read posts about expired NOA2 dates and border officials denying you access if that was the case. These people were devastated and when they attempted to explain, the officer was defensive and wouldn't listen. One of the moderators on here suggested that they ask to speak to the supervisor because they cannot do that. I agree and understand all of that....however, if a simple extension would bypass the risk of that happening, and apparently, getting it extended is something easily done, then why not just get it extended to be safe?

That was my only motivation here. We have a couple of months before he moves over so since we had the time, I just thought we could cover that detail just in case.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I saw that post also and got worried too. Totally get the fear, especially after having gone through this process for almost a year, getting turned away at the border with all your worldly possessions would be devastating. I also thought about ways to avoid the situation from happening. Thankfully, that poster's situation does appear to have been an anomaly.

Regarding the extension:

The extensions are in place to allow for slower than normal processing or higher than normal volumes. It's an automatic thing. Once the visa has been issued, there is no longer any need for a petition extension to happen, particularly since the petition expiry date is no longer relevant (again, the situation the poster of that thread wrote about was an anomaly).

The only people who can extend the petition expiry are the Montreal Consulate so they'd be the ones you reach out to, just don't expect them to do anything since the Visa has already been issued.

I-129F Sent : 2014-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-12-22

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-06-23

NVC Received : 2015-07-09

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2015-07-09

Medical : 2015-09-21

Interview : 2015-09-28 APPROVED

Visa in hand : 2015-10-02

US Entry : 2015-11-21

Wedding : 2015-12-12

AOS/AP/EAD request sent : 2015-12-22

AOS/AP/EAD NOA1: 2015-12-30

AOS Biometrics : 2016-01-25

AOS Approved : 2016-03-01

Permanent Resident card in hand : 2016-03-07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.