mmb

Wedding help

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Richard and I are getting married on March 30th, just over 3 weeks after I arrive.

I'm trying to quickly arrange some little touches to make our wedding a special and memorable day for everyone.

The problem is I don't have a clue.

The only really special thing I have organised is a wonderful cake topper from RubyWine here on VJ, she managed to do something from a few pictures that will bring a smile to the face of everyone who knows Richard by dressing him in costume from a show he has been playing the lead in, on and off, for almost 30 years. (I was so pleased with her work on my cake topper I made it my avatar here :D )

I wast more than that though, on a budget, so I would love to have any ideas that people could toss in.

As the wedding will take place in an Irish pub we are going with a bit of a Celtic theme.

Maggie

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

For our wedding, because it was in Oregon and therefore raining at the time of year we got married, I brought over a Canadian flag umbrella, and found an American flag umbrella here and got some great pics outside with them. Got alot of complements on those pictures. So you could do something like that to represent both of you. Oh, and for some pary favors I brought down a very Saskatchewan, Canadian type of treat, and found a very Oregon, American type treat and wrapped them together to give out to our guests. I bought them both bulk, so they were pretty inexpensife.

Good luck, and Congrats!

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Timeline

That sounds like a good beginning thanks, I leave the UK early next week but should be able to pick up come Scottish and Irish goodies and have Richard think of American goodies.

Don't think I'll find a Scottish flag before I leave though, I'm in the South of England right now, a dearth of Scottish stores here.

Any other ideas are welcome.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Also I would suggest buying a few disposable cameras, place them on each table for the wedding guests to take candid shots.

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You could use "Christmas" crackers for wedding favors as they are very novel here in the US! I think its a great idea to try to mix both traditions into the party.

Sorry, not much more to add as I am still trying to figure out what we'll do once the big day finally comes! Good luck and I am sure you'll have a lovely, memorable day!

Timeline
Also I would suggest buying a few disposable cameras, place them on each table for the wedding guests to take candid shots.

I think that's probably the only way we'll have pictures. On our budget a photographer is out of the question.

You could use "Christmas" crackers for wedding favors as they are very novel here in the US! I think its a great idea to try to mix both traditions into the party.

Sorry, not much more to add as I am still trying to figure out what we'll do once the big day finally comes! Good luck and I am sure you'll have a lovely, memorable day!

Last time I tried to take crackers they were confiscated :( So much for my plan that time to give Richard a British Christmas.

Thanks for the ideas so far, please keep them coming.

Edited by mmb

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I also had to work with a very small budget, but I love how our wedding turned out. It was very cultural. A mix of Indian and American.

I don't know if you are going to be decorating tables, but if you are then something fun is to give each table a city's name instead of a number. We named each table with an Indian city since our wedding was incorporating Indian things, and put little info on the tables about that part of India, also with a picture. People seemed to like it. Our head table was named after my husband's birth city.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline
I also had to work with a very small budget, but I love how our wedding turned out. It was very cultural. A mix of Indian and American.

I don't know if you are going to be decorating tables, but if you are then something fun is to give each table a city's name instead of a number. We named each table with an Indian city since our wedding was incorporating Indian things, and put little info on the tables about that part of India, also with a picture. People seemed to like it. Our head table was named after my husband's birth city.

That sounds like fun, ethnically we're a mix of Scottish/Irish/Kashmiri (me) and Japanese American/Irish American (him).

Maybe as it's a small wedding we could pick a couple of cities from each place and getting pictures online to print out shouldn't be too hard.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I think that's probably the only way we'll have pictures. On our budget a photographer is out of the question.

Last time I tried to take crackers they were confiscated :( So much for my plan that time to give Richard a British Christmas.

You can order Christmas crackers off the internet and have them shipped to the US address, if you want! Not surprised they were confiscated on a plane trip! Too many crazies these days, ya know?

I'kll keep thinking! Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

For our " favor" at our Open House we took a picture that we recieved when we actually got the visa approval (all smiles all around), did a really fancy business card and double side taped it to the back of the picture. That way each guest had our change of address, e-mail, phone #'s, blog address etc. and a really nice picture of the two of us. That was our way of staying connected with everyone.

Thought of another nice idea.. Have self addressed stamped "CD-Mailers" available to your guests who have digital cameras on the day, that way they can just burn you a copy and send it off to you without any worries :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
For our " favor" at our Open House we took a picture that we recieved when we actually got the visa approval (all smiles all around), did a really fancy business card and double side taped it to the back of the picture. That way each guest had our change of address, e-mail, phone #'s, blog address etc. and a really nice picture of the two of us. That was our way of staying connected with everyone.

Thought of another nice idea.. Have self addressed stamped "CD-Mailers" available to your guests who have digital cameras on the day, that way they can just burn you a copy and send it off to you without any worries :)

Thanks for these ideas, the CD one sounds great as at least 2 other couples will be bringing digital cameras and the more pictures we have the better. Cynical old me thinking ahead to AOS.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Timeline

Bumping.

I have been given some great ideas and am still looking for more.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Filed: Timeline

see if you can get a friend to take videos of the wedding and some pics.

another idea is when you can get the money gathered why not get pics professionally done

at sears or some place like that.

shon.gif

Filed: Timeline

Make a CD of a compilation of your 'couple songs' and prepare a jacket cover with your faces, include a dedication, possibly a few words to your guests/etc...like make a proper cd cover. And theknot.com has cd labels just for this purpose.

Give one out to each guest/couple attending :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

another idea would be to purchase inexpensive flower seed packets and if you could find some small gift bags, hand those out as favours with a little reminder of the day. when the guest plants the seeds, the flowers will remind them of your special day.

our budget was very tight as well, but the wedding turned out beautifully. a friend took pics with her digital camera and they were amazing!! once they were downloaded i used a photo shop type program and tweaked them myself. turned out great! we also made a cd of our favourite songs and had them played during the reception, sort of background music.

we used small wedding shaped shiny confetti on the reception table, as it added a sparkle to the ivy and tulle (the ivy was out of my yard and the tulle came from a discount shop - walmart - 77cents a yard). i bought a bag of tea lights and very inexpensive votive holders from a dollar store and placed them on the tables and around the reception area. also used the tea lights in small baby food jars and hung them from the trees near the wedding area (we had a garden wedding). it was such a nice touch!

i'm sure whatever you come up with will be gorgeous!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn