Sawa N Ab

New Delhi K1 process??

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Congratulations!!!! This probably going to be your best sleep you have in awhile no more worries!

06/14/2015: Engaged!!!

07/07/2015: Left India for the USA...

08/13/2015: Priority mailed in I-129F to Texas LockBox.

08/13/2015: Started process on PCC for Guwahati, India.

08/17/2015: USCIS received I-129F petition.

08/19/2015: NOAI off to California Service Center!!

08/24/2015: NOAI receipt received.

08/25/2015: PCC received from Guwahati, India.

09/03/2015: NOAII Approval!!

09/04/2015: NOAII approval updated on website.

09/09/2015: NOAII received in mail.

09/24/2015: NVC received our case!

10/01/2015: Embassy receives case

10/15/2015: Sent out PCC for Thailand.

10/17/2015: Medical Exam.

...................: Received PCC from Thailand??

...................: Bio-metrics??

...................: Interview??

...................: POE somewhere on the east coast....

01/15/2016: Getting Married!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hey Sara,

Here's a copy and paste of the Review I wrote for the New Delhi Embassy. Feel free to ask us more questions if this doesn't cover everything! We'd love to be of as much help as possible.

Arriving at the Embassy you'll find that there's phone storage across the street, inside a small guard box. It's 50 rupees and you can store your phone there for after your Embassy Interview. (Ask the Embassy guards for directions, it wasn't obvious where this was for us.)
There's three lines total for entering the Embassy, all guarded off by tape, American Citizen Services, Immigrant Visa, and Non-immigrant visa. We got a guard's attention and they instructed us inside, using the Non-immigrant visa path (It was actually empty outside, no lines, very few people the day we went.) Heading around the tape we eventually came inside for a security check. Frisked us down, scanned our documents via x-ray, you know, the usual.
Heading inside we reached the courtyard, which is filled with rows of green seats for people to wait in. However, again, it was very empty. No one was in the Non-immigrant waiting area, or even the Immigrant Visa waiting area. We asked a nearby guard and they instructed us to head around the waiting area and onward to the main building.
Reaching inside we found ourselves at the end of a long room. We were told to follow the red lines on the floor for Immigrant Visas. Near us were lines filled with people for Non-immigrant visas. At the head of each line were the interview windows, counters with a glass partition between you and the Interviewer. Windows 1-19 were being used for Non-immigrants Visas. Window 21 was being used for biometric check in, 24 and 25 for payment (if you hadn't payed online). We'll get to the other windows in a bit.
We were asked to sit down in a row of chairs across from Window 21. It took awhile before we could line up, there was a back up developing thanks to several extremely elderly couples, but eventually we were asked to get in line. There we waited until it was our turn at Window 22. There they took Linny's biometric fingerprints again (I assume to check her in from her VAC appointment) and had her pull together her primary documents (DS-160, Medical, PCC, etc.) Prior to this a man will approach you while you're waiting and request that you gather these together (So things will move faster at Window 21). At this point he'll rip open your Medical, don't worry, this is normal.
After checking in at Window 21, We were guided to another row of seats (just a few feet from where we'd originally been waiting) placed in front of Windows 26-30. These windows are for giving over your documents (DS-160, Medical, PCC, Affidavit of Support, etc.) The wait for this took a bit, with numerous couples, beneficiaries, and others handing over their documents. If you're there for a K-1 or CR-1/IR-1 Visa you'll receive a N??? number that is used to call you to the window when your case is ready for the document gathering. While waiting we heard several details of other cases. One guy who was having trouble proving his marriage to his wife (who was with him) was legitimate and documented (unfortunately I don't think he ever succeeded. We saw them later walk out of the Embassy, looking annoyed and defeated.)
Finally they called us and we stepped up to hand in the documents. They immediately asked for Linny's contact number. In our particular case we had two co-sponsors, both my parents, as I don't have the fiances to complete the Visa for Linny myself. She looked through all three affadavits briefly, before discarding mine and my mother's financial supporting documents and making my father the primary sponsor. At the end of this the woman apologized to me as she handed Linny a packet on emergency services for spousal abuse (this led to a couple of relief filled laughs.)
We left the window and went back to where we'd originally been waiting. Windows 20, 22, and 23 were being used for the actual final interview. This took awhile, as they'd gotten backed up thanks to elderly applicants, people taking bathroom breaks seconds before they were called for their interview, etc. Eventually Window 20 called us. Linny jumped up and marched to the window, with me trailing behind.
The CO looked up and asked who I was. When I explained I was the petitioner/Linny's fiance she said "oh. Go sit down. Go sit down. I'll call you if I need you." While waving her hand for me to "shoo." I wasn't comfortable leaving Linny alone, not after reading some cases on VisaJourney where Petitioners, who had accompanied their fiance/spouse, were sent back and their fiance/spouse was promptly handed a 221g and their Visa denied. Ultimately I decided to adhere to her request, for fear of making things difficult. I sat down at the nearest row of green chairs and waited, listening as best I could to how the interview progressed.
Linny was asked a series of questions, "Have you ever been outside India?" "How did you two meet?" etc. Very basic, classic interview questions. Our hearts jumped when she took out the photos we'd submitted with our original packet, a total of five selfies of the two of us. She looked them over and asked Linny, "Do you have any more photographs?" We both panicked, having not bothered to bring additional photos, since I would be present. Linny answered no, that we'd forgotten to bring more. The woman frowned and began asking "When did you get engaged?" "When was his last trip here?" (Asking when I had arrived back in India for this interview.) She then started asking slightly tougher questions, "Why did you get engaged and not married during his first trip?" to which Linny answered that it would've been too soon for us to get married the first time we met in person, things would've moved too fast, "Why are you getting married in the U.S. and not here with your family?" At this point Linny was becoming flustered, fearful this was all building to a denial. Linny explained that since I was the one with a job it made more sense to marry in the U.S. than here in India, stressing to the point where she forgot to mention that, in Mizo culture (her culture), it's common, and expected, to marry where the man lives, rather than the woman.
Thankfully our fears were adverted when she began asking Linny about the domestic abuse packet. We both realized that if she was asking about that packet, containing emergency contact information, that meant we were getting a Visa. Linny answered her questions, "Did you read the packet?" "What's the police contact number in the U.S.?" etc. Finally she handed Linny a yellow piece of paper, her approval slip, and congratulated her. Linny turned around, and we left, practically skipping on our way out. This is where we discovered that, out in the courtyard, is a small food booth, with brownies, drinks and other goodies. So if you need food there is actually food there.
I've also decided that if the petitioner is present, and they are sent to sit back down, that the Counsilar has decided you are an open or shut case, for better or worse. I believe that, ultimately, the interview becomes a meer formality, with the CO having already decided to issue either a 221g or the approval notice. So don't freak out quite yet if this happens to you, it doesn't gaurantee a dismissal as in our case. All in all we got out in about 2 and 1/2 hours. Either way, we're both so happy everything turned out okay and we both wish everyone else luck in their dealings at the New Delhi, Embassy, and hope this write up aids you in some way. =)

Timeline

Here your experience makes me so happy and calmer. I feel like I know what Abhishek will go through so thank you so much. I am glad you didn't have issue with your co-sponsor because that makes me more comfortable and that she didnt bring up any cultural issues really. I think I am going to prepare Ab to answer questions about why we made the engagement decisions that we did because it seems that a big deal and hopefully everything will go fine.

We are currently at the medical part, so wondering do we need to have to interview date set up to be able to do the medical because I have been hearing different things. We dont want to set up the interview till we have a general idea when we will get the Thailand PCC, which just got delayed after already schedule the medical.

I sent too soon....

I want to say Congratulations and that I am so happy for ya'll!!!! Thank you so much for including a lengthy detail response of your approval and thank you so much for answering all my questions.

Timeline

Hi, Sara!

Linny here. No you do not need to set up an interview date at the embassy for the medical. I think it's best if you set up the interview date ONLY AFTER you have ALL the required documents in your hands. Failure to produce necessary documents will most likely just get Abhishek turned away with instructions to reschedule when he has all the required documents. From what we've read on this forum, that can potentially cause more delays in recieving your visa even if you get approved. Fingers crossed that you recieve your Thailand PCC soon as I can imagine how stressful the waiting is getting and that you get your visa approval too. Good Luck! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Valdfellgar, Congrats to you both!! :joy:

Thanks for the detailed review you provided on your visa experience.

Our case is at Mumbai consulate. Your review (even though of a different embassy) helps my fiancee to get a picture of how it is to be there!

Good luck Sara-N- Abhishek on getting the Thailand PCC done quickly!! Hope we will have our date soon enough. We are gathering PCCs for my fiancee as well (she has lived in couple of countries apart from India).

Timeline

Thanks N and S, I am going to need all the luck I can get with this PCC from Thailand already messed up once on it. I am just glad there someone else joining the conversation because Valdfeggar is already approved and now I have someone else to worry with.

Good Luck on gathering your PCCs hope you dont have to deal with Thailand.

Timeline

hi Sara,

:) about having company on this thread!

My fiancee, N is getting her PCCs done for Singapore and India (as a non-resident, she gets one from the nearest Indian consulate). Both are submitted... fingers crossed that it comes by soon!

Hope Thailand PCC comes in soon for you both...and you can be together for the holiday season! We are aiming for that!

Good luck again!

Timeline

So are you both located in the US right now? I am kind of jealous and does that mean she has to fly back to India for her interview?

Timeline

Sorry I have a lapse of thoughts and for some reason thought you were new even though I slightly remembered that you were adding comments on the 2nd page.

We are thinking he will still here by Christmas but got our hopes up that it could be Thanksgiving but with restarting the PCC, it is cutting it close but cant really complain because we only been separated for three months.

Awww... I thought you were lucky but you in the same boat as me and have to deal with skype and fb as form of communication.

Timeline

yes, I added comments on this thread a few days earlier. Found that you were just dealing with similar questions as us, except different Indian consulates.

We met in August last! Since then skype and social media are our means of communication!

Timeline

So I kind of did something stupid and now after reading about the recent denial to a K1 visa in India because they already thought that they were married.

When I was gathering my evidence, I wanted to show that we were living together and I am on my lease at the New Delhi apartment but there lies the problem, I am listed as the wife. I wrote on a post it note that it was stated that way because of cultural reason and included as other evidence that we have certified letters stating that we are single after the lease date. The reason we got these because we almost got married in Delhi but then I decided I did not want to live in India so we changed our plans. I was going to tell Abhishek to be honest about this because we had the letters stating we were single to show that we are not married. Now I am kind of worried about all the weird questions he is going to be asked at the interview and how do ya'll think we should handle it. I am think I should write a letter stating the confusion that if it comes up to explain from my side point of what is going on.

Damn I think I gave the wrong kind of evidence for our proof of relationship.

Timeline

So I kind of did something stupid and now after reading about the recent denial to a K1 visa in India because they already thought that they were married.

When I was gathering my evidence, I wanted to show that we were living together and I am on my lease at the New Delhi apartment but there lies the problem, I am listed as the wife. I wrote on a post it note that it was stated that way because of cultural reason and included as other evidence that we have certified letters stating that we are single after the lease date. The reason we got these because we almost got married in Delhi but then I decided I did not want to live in India so we changed our plans. I was going to tell Abhishek to be honest about this because we had the letters stating we were single to show that we are not married. Now I am kind of worried about all the weird questions he is going to be asked at the interview and how do ya'll think we should handle it. I am think I should write a letter stating the confusion that if it comes up to explain from my side point of what is going on.

Damn I think I gave the wrong kind of evidence for our proof of relationship.

There's no way around it, that simply wasn't the evidence to provide, same as with the couple that's now facing trouble for their evidence. Now, it's possible the note will be enough, perhaps the CO who reviews your case will be understanding (The CO who reviewed ours didn't seem to need a lot of convincing.) but I'd say you need to prepare for a CO who is now going to scrutinize the hell out of your case.

Honesty will, probably help, it'll depend on how "willing" a CO he gets interviewed by. If the CO is willing to listen to your story then there's a good chance you'll be okay. I think the weird questions are almost inevitable if you get a difficult CO. You need to prepare him for that heavy scrutiny. A letter could help, but only if they look at it.

Now, there's still a chance everything will turn out okay, but I think you need to prepare for a worst case scenario and be ready to contact your Senator/Congressman, and be prepared to hound the Embassy for that second interview, explaining your situation should it go this direction. I don't need to sound alarmist, but I'd hate to see you caught off guard if all I gave was reassuring thoughts.

Timeline

I already been preparing for the Senator route and lucky I got some great senators in Va who want to build the relationship with Asia. After reading that a photo caused that much issues, I am like my document is definitely going to bring questions. It was stupid evidence to provide but I was in the beginning stages of understanding the crazy process of the scrutiny of K1 visa.

I am hoping to get a letter from the landlord stating that he wrote that because for it to be cultural acceptable for two people of different sexes to live in apartment requires them to be married so for show he wrote that. I think it also helps that my affidavit of being single is from the US embassy in Delhi so I am hoping that helps. We are thinking we got this and preparing for the hard questions. I am preparing letters anyway

for him to carry to the embassy with him so if we need to schedule a second interview we can right away without gathering evidence and I think I am going to do take a few proactive steps. Do you think calling USCIS beforehand to get advice on what evidence I can show that I am not married because we did no marriage ceremonies, or signed any documents stating that we were married with both of our signatures (just checked the lease to make sure my signature is not on it and it is not).

Damn it why was I so stupid. I thought it would help show that we were serious enough but might of did that too well.

Timeline

Like I beating myself up for this. I thought hey they will understand they live in India and know how complicated it is to get an apartment as a couple that is not married. I just need to start preparing for the worst and that I have to move to India for a couple of years. Fun!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.