Brassballs

Fees and taxes update

15 posts in this topic

Can't get any clearer than this for dealing with NAIA.

Background...

June 25 purchased 2 one way tickets through Orbitz and 1 RT for me through Expedia. All transactions were made in the US.

Got to NAIA this morning with only a 1 person wait at JAL counter which is unheard of. Anyway the agent said that the wife and daughter needed to pay P550 each terminal fee but I didn't since it was included in MY ticket price, but not theirs. I explained that I though since Feb timeframe the terminal fees was always included in the ticket price but she said it was optional. Go figure. Maybe Orbitz doesn't include in their ticket cost to minimize the bottom line to make it look more appealing? Maybe they don't want to hassle with the Fil gvt? Who knows.

There was no way to determine by looking at the ticket price online if it was or wasn't since they didn't break out the additional fees by type and cost. The bottom line is sometimes the terminal fee is included and sometimes it isn't. I was going to ask about the P750 figure I've seen mentioned vs. the P550 but thought it would be best to keep my mouth shut.

Both had to pay the 'travel tax', P1620 for and adult and P810 for a child. I was expecting to pay P2430 but the agent came back with P2630 so there is another P200 'transaction fee' that must be allowed for. I'm guessing the fee is P100 for each traveler or it could be P200 per family unit. Don't know which it is.

To sum it up, emigrating citizens need to pay a final departure tax.

Some travelers will need to pay the terminal fee and some won't. And as of 9/14 the fee is still P550.

As a sidelight we had to pay terminal fees at PPS and DAV of P200 per ticket but not at NAIA for RT tickets to both places flying on C-P.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To sum it up, emigrating citizens need to pay a final departure tax.

Some travelers will need to pay the terminal fee and some won't. And as of 9/14 the fee is still P550.

As a sidelight we had to pay terminal fees at PPS and DAV of P200 per ticket but not at NAIA for RT tickets to both places flying on C-P.

I think it depends on the airline. I just purchased a one way ticket for my Fiancee on Delta. I used miles to purchase the ticket and I had to pay the taxes at the time of the booking. Per the receipt below - the travel tax and terminal fee are included.

FARE DETAILS Description Amount Currency Miles Miles Redeemed 45,000 Miles Air Transportation Charges
Taxes, Fees and Charges
Description Amount Currency United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY) $5.60 USD Philippines - Passenger Service Charge (LI) $11.90 USD Japan - Passenger Security Service Charge (OI) $4.20 USD Philippines - Travel Tax (PH) $35.00 USD Japan - Passenger Service Facilities Charge (SW) $8.50 USD United States - Animal And Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA) $5.00 USD United States - Immigration And Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY) $7.00 USD United States - Custom User Fee (YC) $5.50 USD Description Amount Currency Total Taxes, Fees & Charges: $82.70 USD

Really doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Bottom line is to have enough both the terminal fee P550 and departure tax P1610 just to be safe.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

The travel tax can be included in the ticket price also IF the ticket is purchased inside the Phils. Most times it has to be paid separately.

For Filipinos visiting the Phils for a few months, expect to pay the travel tax again, for my wife it was only P200 but we did have to run over to the counter to get that paid before she could get her boarding pass.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The travel tax can be included in the ticket price also IF the ticket is purchased inside the Phils. Most times it has to be paid separately.

I bet if you if I buy a Delta ticket from Philippines to USA while I am in Philippines, they will not put travel tax on it

Timeline

I bet if you if I buy a Delta ticket from Philippines to USA while I am in Philippines, they will not put travel tax on it

If you purchase it NO as you don't pay travel tax.

If a Filipino purchases it from inside the Philippines I bet it will. Inside meaning a travel agent there, not online.

We had to stop by the travel tax counter when we left the Phils last month, they still charged a travel tax for my wife, was much but we weren't getting boarding passes without it. Next trip she will have a U.S. passport so the travel tax will be history.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

If you purchase it NO as you don't pay travel tax.

If a Filipino purchases it from inside the Philippines I bet it will. Inside meaning a travel agent there, not online.

We had to stop by the travel tax counter when we left the Phils last month, they still charged a travel tax for my wife, was much but we weren't getting boarding passes without it. Next trip she will have a U.S. passport so the travel tax will be history.

IF she has a greencard then she shouldn't of paid the travel tax.

Timeline

IF she has a greencard then she shouldn't of paid the travel tax.

Not true. She showed her green card and they still required the travel tax, it was a small amount ($5) but they wouldn't let her fly without paying (we were there 3 months). Now once she has her U.S. passport then she won't pay, unless staying a year or more.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Not true. She showed her green card and they still required the travel tax, it was a small amount ($5) but they wouldn't let her fly without paying (we were there 3 months). Now once she has her U.S. passport then she won't pay, unless staying a year or more.

Never seen that or heard that one.

It been about 3 years since I traveled to Philippines with a my wife, She never paid anything when she left. We made at least 3 trips to and from between 2009 thru 2011.

Timeline

Never seen that or heard that one.

It been about 3 years since I traveled to Philippines with a my wife, She never paid anything when she left. We made at least 3 trips to and from between 2009 thru 2011.

How long did you stay each time?

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

So then the departure / travel tax is only collected for the first time a Phil citizen immigrates? After that if the immigrant has some sort of resident document from the foreign country (green card) he /she is treated as a tourist for other departures even though still traveling with a Philippine passport?

About online ticket purchases... There is no way for an agent or airlines to know the nationality travel status of the traveler and whether or not to collect a departure tax. Not the same as the terminal fee which I believe EVERYONE needs to pay, which is what surprised me when Expedia added it to my total and Orbitzdidn't add it to my wife's or daughter's. Whatever the rules (?) are they are certainly not applied evenly.

That's why I would suggest Filipinos have P2500 and others have P550 in reserve when entering the terminal. As a sidelight I walked past another table/kiosk/area labeled as Refunds. My guess is that it applied to any terminal fees or departure taxes that a traveler can prove were paid twice. Doubtful that counter agents or anyone else in the terminal would advise the traveler that something was double paid. And how a traveler would become aware of this is beyond me.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Timeline

So then the departure / travel tax is only collected for the first time a Phil citizen immigrates? After that if the immigrant has some sort of resident document from the foreign country (green card) he /she is treated as a tourist for other departures even though still traveling with a Philippine passport?

About online ticket purchases... There is no way for an agent or airlines to know the nationality travel status of the traveler and whether or not to collect a departure tax. Not the same as the terminal fee which I believe EVERYONE needs to pay, which is what surprised me when Expedia added it to my total and Orbitzdidn't add it to my wife's or daughter's. Whatever the rules (?) are they are certainly not applied evenly.

That's why I would suggest Filipinos have P2500 and others have P550 in reserve when entering the terminal. As a sidelight I walked past another table/kiosk/area labeled as Refunds. My guess is that it applied to any terminal fees or departure taxes that a traveler can prove were paid twice. Doubtful that counter agents or anyone else in the terminal would advise the traveler that something was double paid. And how a traveler would become aware of this is beyond me.

Travel tax is collected every time a Philippine citizen exits the country, even on vacation, time in country seems to be a factor with green card holders.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.