11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After you file your I-751, you will receive a Biometrics Appointment Notice, which gives you a date, time, and place to go. It also states on the notice that:

"If you are unable to appear at this time, you may go on any FOLLOWING Wednesday at the same time noted above, as long as you appear before (it gives you a date). If you do not have your biometrics taken by that date, your application will be considered abandoned."

I didn't make it to the appointment they gave me, so I just went on the following Wednesday, and there was no problem.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe because I was CR-1, but for my Biometrics (associated with I-751) on my Biometrics appt notice, it didnt give me the option of just showing up o any wed. after that! It stated that if I did not show for the assigned date, my application could be considered abandoned, and then gave em instructions on how to reschedule, which I had to do, and was super easy!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I had to reschedule. Was simple as mailing back the NOA and stating when I was available. I was only requesting a 2 week delay.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

How long will you be travelling though... I received my bio letter last Friday and the appointment is for this Friday. Had I been away this would have been very difficult to get re-schedled. My appt notice itself has a part where I can check a box and ask to reschedule. That notice then has to be mailed to the place where my biometrics will be taken. 7 days would have been a close call.

I-130:

04-05-2004: I-130 NOA1 (NSC)

11-09-2004: I-130 NOA2 (CSC)

11-23-2004: NVC assigns Case Number

12-07-2004: I-864 fee to NVC

12-10-2004: DS 3032 to NVC

01-10-2005: IV fee to NVC

01-17-2005: I-864 to NVC

02-14-2005: DS 230 to NVC

03-04-2005: Case Complete!

03-09-2005: Case forwarded to Frankfurt

04-12-2005: Interview in Frankfurt

04-15-2005: VISA ARRIVES!

04-22-2005: FLIGHT HOME TO CHICAGO!

I-751:

01-31-2007: I-751 sent to Nebraska Service Center

02-01-2007: I-751 Received at PO Box (per USPS notification)

02-02-2007: NOA Date

02-23-2007: NOA & Biometrics appointment received in mail

03-02-2007: Biometrics appt

04-01-2008: CRIS emails with info that case was transferred. A-ha!

04-07-2008: 1 yr. I-551 stamp received @Chicago CIS office

04-12-2008: Approved - Card production ordered!!!

Timeline

I had about a 3 week space from letter to appt date.

Timeline
well, in general how closely are the appointments scheduled? we want to file on may 12th and maybe travel june 2nd or later. i just dont want to wait a month and THEN get a late notice. is rescheduling done by phone or in writing?

rescheduling is done by writing!! One sends back the origianal NOA. I wrote on it, as wel attched a short letter stating I could not make the scheduled appt due to being away on Xmas holidays with my wife, and would be avialable anytime after a certain. date.My origianl date was for end of Dec, the new date was Jan 11, so they are pretty quick!! One is just mailing it o the local office, so I assuem they are much more efficient, and better to deal with. If your overly concerned, contact the local office in ur city.

Filed: Timeline

My local office is in Memphis...I live in East Tennessee meaning 7 hours drive away. I guess I could have the noa sent to my po box instead of my regular mail and have someone else check for me. how is uscis with mailing addresses that diverge from the street address? do they send stuff ther eor only to the street address?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.