5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Background: My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. He came to the U.S. on a student visa for part of highschool and again for all 4 years of college(where we met). He will be working in the U.S. legally(has filled out and been approved for all necessary forms)for at least a year. He has not been back to Brazil for more than 3 months at a time in the past 4 years and will not be visiting his family in Brazil at least until legal work forms expire(in which he will either be sponsored by the company to work for another year or go directly to obtain a Masters degree(which he will get no matter if he works for 1 or 2+ years first). This company works out of both the U.S. and Brazil and he does not know if he will be transferred there for the following year, remain in the U.S. facility to work, or complete the Masters. We want to spend the rest of our lives together but are waiting(mainly his idea to wait) to get married for when we are both in steady work positions or have good means of income to support each other (I have one extra year of college).

My question/s: Does any of his time spent in the U.S. under student visa and work(OPT I believe) have any advantageous affects towards a possible expedited citizenship? We are both close with our families and I want both of us to be able to travel for visits freely. Is there a way to begin a process for this to be possible now, before marriage, and his time working in a different state while I am at school count towards acceptance? Should we think of marriage earlier and would him working in a different state be an issue? There is so much proof to show but we want to each have jobs before getting married and buying property together, trying to think ahead. I know I want to start saving for the application fees once I get a job as well.

Other than gathering evidence attesting to the bona fides of your relationship there isn't much you can do or file until you actually get married.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

Does any of his time spent in the U.S. under student visa and work(OPT I believe) have any advantageous affects towards a possible expedited citizenship?
No
We are both close with our families and I want both of us to be able to travel for visits freely. Is there a way to begin a process for this to be possible now, before marriage, and his time working in a different state while I am at school count towards acceptance?
No
Should we think of marriage earlier and would him working in a different state be an issue?
Getting married is the only option. State is not an issue
There is so much proof to show but we want to each have jobs before getting married and buying property together, trying to think ahead. I know I want to start saving for the application fees once I get a job as well.

Edited by JDWright

02 Aug 2012 -- Met online

23 Feb 2013 -- Relations began (L)

19 May 2014 -- Visited! :luv:

26 Jun 2014 -- Engaged :dancing:

15 Oct 2014 -- I-129F package finished and mailed to Dallas

17 Oct 2014 -- NOA1 (email) TSC

22 Oct 2014 -- ARN updated

13 May 2015 -- NOA2 (email) :dancing:

19 May 2015 -- NOA2 Hardcopy

4 June 2015 -- NVC received (I think lol) Case number assigned.

11th June 2015 -- NVC sent to Bridgetown

16th June 2015 -- Bridgetown received

17th June 2015 - PCKT3 received
30th June 2015 - PCKT4 received

9th July 2015 - Medical (too many needles :/ )

21st July 2015 - Interview date :goofy:

10th August 2015 - Approved

12th August 2015 - Issued

13th August 2015 - Visa in hand via DHL

24th August 2015 - US arrival (POE MIA)

I am the beneficiary

Filed: Timeline

That's what I thought. Thank you for the replies.

So once married, I would apply for I-130, he would apply for I-485, and I believe we would do G-325A as well. After the forms are accepted in 6-12 months he will have permanent residency with eligablity to apply for citizenship?

If anyone knows please let me know if there are more forms I am missing. Also, how long must he stay in the U.S.(as in not allowed to leave without breaking rules) before we are able to visit his family for a short period of time? Or is he allowed to visit prior to the two year mark after getting married?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

That's what I thought. Thank you for the replies.

So once married, I would apply for I-130, he would apply for I-485, and I believe we would do G-325A as well. After the forms are accepted in 6-12 months he will have permanent residency with eligablity to apply for citizenship?

If anyone knows please let me know if there are more forms I am missing. Also, how long must he stay in the U.S.(as in not allowed to leave without breaking rules) before we are able to visit his family for a short period of time? Or is he allowed to visit prior to the two year mark after getting married?

Eligibility for citizenship happens 3 years after getting his green card.

He needs either AP or a green card to be able to come back into the U.S. after leaving.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.