James27

AOS and previous marriages

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone I'm new here and have a question that makes me worried. I have read on the Guides part of this site that if an immigrant who is married to a usc and came in the country with tourist visa for marriage purposes has to go back to her or his country and apply for aos through another visa or he/she can get in serous trouble. I came here with tourist visa but not for marriage purposes, so I will give you my story and make it as short as possible.

Came here on vacation and to improve my english. I met my ex usc husband in school a month after I arrived. We married after a few months.

He became abusive, never began an AOS. After 4 years of relationship/living together I began to look for shelters online so I could leave. While searching I met someone online and we became friends. Three months later I left my abusive husband. Few months later the person I met online and I started dating.

My divorce was final in 2013, two years after I left.

Now this month I married the person I met online. We've been together for four years.

My question is, will uscis look into that and think that both marriages have been purely for immigration purposes? I can assure you that was not my intention in both occasions, I loved my ex even though he was abusive and I love my current husband even more. He is the most amazing man I have ever met and we are mad for each other. I'm just worried that immigration will find my situation odd and/or suspicious. None of that was previously planned or done with bad intentions, that's just how things happened and I had no control over that.

Please help I will really appreciate your advice because I don't want to be separated from my husband or banned from the country. Thanks so much.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to WST-based AOS Process Forum~

~Inquiry about adjusting from tourist visa~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

It would have been more complicated if your first husband had filed an adjustment of status, or if your second marriage was so abrupt after your first one. By timing and spacing your relationships, you actually helped your case a little. It's possible USCIS will pry into your first marriage on your interview to ask questions about it but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. They always ask how many times you're married anyway and information about children. Bottom line if you can prove your marriage is real and entered in good faith you should be fine even if questions spring from your first one. They understand people marry and sometimes it falls apart through no fault of their own, they just want to know it wasn't entered solely to circumvent immigration laws. You should be able to prove that with your case and evidence. Good luck!

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh thank you so much Starkilla09 for your response. Yes I have plenty of proof to show both marriages were in good faith and even more for the current one since this time I am not being abused and many people can attest to the genuinity of the relationship. I really hope all goes well when it's time to go through the process. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.