Jump to content

We do not have a marriage certificate

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all

I want to file for citizenship for my wife based on marriage , my question is we only have a translated copy of our marriage contract from egypt we never went to city hall to get legaly married here in the US so we do not have a US marriage certificate , so can we fill the N400 for citizenship with our translated copy of the marriage contract from egypt or we have to go get married in cityhall ?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


You are legally married in the U.S. based on your Egyptian marriage.

Didn't the U.S. give your wife an immigration visa based on marriage to a U.S. citizen? The U.S. government recognized your marriage and that is why your wife got a spousal visa.

Send in a copy of your Egyptian marriage contact. It's legal in the U.S.

Best of luck

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my husband have the same problem because embassy kept our translated copy even tho they say they didn't what I am having a problem with is changing my last name on social security they won't do it say I have to petition courts to recognize our marriage in state of California it's a crock of bull makes me so mad still haven't got my name change yet good luck

Married in Alexandria , Egypt wub.png 3/28/2013

I-130 Sent : 9/11/2013 to Chicago Lockbox
I-130 Received by Chicago Lockbox: 9/16/2013
I-130 NOA1 Electronic Copy Received and sent to NBC for processing: 9/18/2013
I-130 NOA1 Hard copy Received 09/21/2013
Expedite Granted at USCIS 10/18/2013
I-130 Approved 10/18/2013
I-130 NOA2 Hard copy received 10/25/2013
NVC Received 11/7/2013

Case Complete at NVC 03/14/2014

Expedite granted at NVC level 03/18/2014

Left NVC for Embassy 03/20/2014

Received by Embassy 03/24/2014

Received Interview date for 05/04/2014 :)

Visa granted 05/04/2014 :dancing:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.