Jump to content

Continuing College in the US

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good day, VJ community.

I am in need of your help/ personal experiences/ professional knowledge/ inputs, and anything else that will help. Thank you in advance!

My son ( USC ), went back to our birth country to study college ( BS Industrial Engineering). It was his choice. He has now decided to stay in the US to continue his education. He is coming to the US in the next few weeks, and I am asking him to bring his documents with him.

Please let me know:

1) What documents he needs to bring with him, aside from his transcripts..


2) How the subjects/ courses he already passed in our country will be accredited here, so he does not have to re-take them

I have no college experience in the US ( arrived with a degree and had no problems); so I am at a loss on how everything works here.

Please enlighten this mother! :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


1. U.S. colleges will want only official transcripts sent from the school. The transcripts he has will be good for referencing, but will not be accepted. Too many people with fraudulent transcripts, so only official transcripts from the schools are considered reliable.

2. It will be up to his school. Most likely, he will have to retake the classes because there is no way for the school to evaluate the quality or content of his classes abroad.

I've worked at a major university evaluating international students' transcripts and placing them in classes. An official transcript was always required. Credit was only given for classes at particular universities that we had agreements with and had a chance to evaluate the quality of each class. If there was no agreement or the class was not on the accepted list, the student was not given credit.

Best of luck

Edited by aaron2020

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on the school. In my cousin's case, the school requested her to have her international transcript evaluated by World Education Services (WES) (other schools might recommend other third party services). It needs to be sent directly from the school to WES. Take a look at the admissions information provided on the school website (or give the school a call) that your son wants to attend here in the US. They usually provide further details for international transfer students.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's really interesting subjet i hope we get more comments and advices; after my experience that i'm still in process; the university asked me for original diploma plus the transcripts with the translation that they should be sent from my institution over seas, now i'm waiting for the syllabus that should be also be sent from my previous institution so they can evaluate my previous courses and i don't have to take them again; hope my experience helps like i said i'm not done yet i'm still in process.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.