ezzie

Continuing College in the US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day, VJ community.

I am in need of your help/ personal experiences/ professional knowledge/ inputs, and anything else that will help. Thank you in advance!

My son ( USC ), went back to our birth country to study college ( BS Industrial Engineering). It was his choice. He has now decided to stay in the US to continue his education. He is coming to the US in the next few weeks, and I am asking him to bring his documents with him.

Please let me know:

1) What documents he needs to bring with him, aside from his transcripts..

2) How the subjects/ courses he already passed in our country will be accredited here, so he does not have to re-take them

I have no college experience in the US ( arrived with a degree and had no problems); so I am at a loss on how everything works here.

Please enlighten this mother! :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

1. U.S. colleges will want only official transcripts sent from the school. The transcripts he has will be good for referencing, but will not be accepted. Too many people with fraudulent transcripts, so only official transcripts from the schools are considered reliable.

2. It will be up to his school. Most likely, he will have to retake the classes because there is no way for the school to evaluate the quality or content of his classes abroad.

I've worked at a major university evaluating international students' transcripts and placing them in classes. An official transcript was always required. Credit was only given for classes at particular universities that we had agreements with and had a chance to evaluate the quality of each class. If there was no agreement or the class was not on the accepted list, the student was not given credit.

Best of luck

Edited by aaron2020

It depends on the school. In my cousin's case, the school requested her to have her international transcript evaluated by World Education Services (WES) (other schools might recommend other third party services). It needs to be sent directly from the school to WES. Take a look at the admissions information provided on the school website (or give the school a call) that your son wants to attend here in the US. They usually provide further details for international transfer students.

Filed: Timeline

it's really interesting subjet i hope we get more comments and advices; after my experience that i'm still in process; the university asked me for original diploma plus the transcripts with the translation that they should be sent from my institution over seas, now i'm waiting for the syllabus that should be also be sent from my previous institution so they can evaluate my previous courses and i don't have to take them again; hope my experience helps like i said i'm not done yet i'm still in process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.