sunshine886

the 40 qualifying quarters of work!!

8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Could someone please tell me if international student working in the United States for 8 years can earn credits for the 40 qualifying quarters of work? I know international students do not pay social security tax even though they do pay federal income tax.

thank you very much!

Grace

Since you become permanent resident, not before.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

ya, the clock starts after the green card is received.

However - if you are seeking to use an I-864W and the work will continue during the AOS casefile processing and AFTER the greencard is received, then THAT is countable on the I-864-W. I think. At least, that's what i remember. It's not a 40-quarter count, for this exact situation.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

2mzcunl.gif

thank you very much for yor reply!!!

ya, the clock starts after the green card is received.

However - if you are seeking to use an I-864W and the work will continue during the AOS casefile processing and AFTER the greencard is received, then THAT is countable on the I-864-W. I think. At least, that's what i remember. It's not a 40-quarter count, for this exact situation.

Thanks for your reply!! The follow

ing is what i read from form I-864:

I am EXEMPT from filing a Form I-864 Affidavit of Support because:
1. I have earned (or can be credited with) 40 quarters (credits) of coverage under the Social
Security Act (SSA). (Attach SSA earnings statements. Do not count any quarters during
which you received a means-tested public benefit.)
2.I am under 18, unmarried, immigrating as the child of a U.S. citizen, and will automatically
become a U.S. citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 upon my admission to the
United States.
3.I am filing for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status as a self-petitioning widow(er)
using Form I-360.
4.I am filing for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status as a battered spouse or child using
Form I-360.
If I understand it right, i am only eligible for the first option if i my working hours are counted as the 40 qualifying quarters.
thank you very much!
Edited by sunshine886

Hi,

You can only get Social Security credit if you pay Social Security taxes. Since an international student does not pay SS taxes, the student does not earn SS work credits.

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/credits.html#&a0=0

When you work and pay Social Security taxes, you earn up to a maximum of four "credits" for each year.

Hi,

You can only get Social Security credit if you pay Social Security taxes. Since an international student does not pay SS taxes, the student does not earn SS work credits.

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/credits.html#&a0=0

When you work and pay Social Security taxes, you earn up to a maximum of four "credits" for each year.

Thank you very much for your reply!!!

Can my husband's work during our marriage be counted as my work credits?

Here is the link i read from another website:

You can get work quarters credit for the following:
  • Work you have done - in the United States or a U.S. territory and, in some cases, work performed in selected foreign countries. Check with an advocate before claiming credit for work done when the wage earner did not have work authorization or a valid social security number.
  • Work done by your spouse while married. This includes work done by a common law spouse even if you were not legally “married.” It also includes work done after separation but before divorce (though you lose your spouse’s quarters upon divorce).
  • Work done by your parents before you were 18, including work done by your parents before you were conceived, born, or adopted.

Thak you very much !!

Thank you very much for your reply!!!

Can my husband's work during our marriage be counted as my work credits?

Here is the link i read from another website:

You can get work quarters credit for the following:
  • Work you have done - in the United States or a U.S. territory and, in some cases, work performed in selected foreign countries. Check with an advocate before claiming credit for work done when the wage earner did not have work authorization or a valid social security number.
  • Work done by your spouse while married. This includes work done by a common law spouse even if you were not legally “married.” It also includes work done after separation but before divorce (though you lose your spouse’s quarters upon divorce).
  • Work done by your parents before you were 18, including work done by your parents before you were conceived, born, or adopted.

Thak you very much !!

yes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.