Meg.BenEspana

I-864 with one joint sponsor

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hoping someone will be able to help answer this question...

My husband and I currently live in Mexico and his income will not continue upon immigrating to the US. I am unemployed until his admission where I will then return to my previous employer. We do not meet the income requirements so therefore are using my grandmother as our joint sponsor as she is well above the 125% poverty line. My husband and I will both be living with her in her house until we get our feet back on the ground. I am also using her address to show my ties to the US (driver's license, car tax bill etc all showing her adddress) Which form do we need to use? I-864 or I-864a? I was under the impression to fill out I-864 for myself and then I-864a for our joint sponsor.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

You would complete an I-864 since you are the petitioner and your grandmother would fill out a second I-864 since she is the joint sponsor.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Timeline

Thank you for your response!

So on my I-864 in Part 6 item 6.a., where I list income from my household, would I leave this part blank and leave my current annual household income at $0 since my husband's income will not continue from this source upon immigrating to the US?

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Yea, that's the correct way to do it.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your response!

So on my I-864 in Part 6 item 6.a., where I list income from my household, would I leave this part blank and leave my current annual household income at $0 since my husband's income will not continue from this source upon immigrating to the US?

Part 6 item 6 is household member 1. You're not using any household members' incomes. Your income should be in Part 6 item 5, which is 0.

Edited by newacct

Timeline

In Part 1 I have checked off 1.a. I am the petitioner. I filed or am filing for the immigration of my relative.

Do I also need to check off 1.e. I am the first of two joint sponsors ?

We are only using 1 person as our joint sponsor but am I also considered a joint sponsor even though my income is listed as $0?

No you are the petitioner. You do not check 1e. You care not considered a joint sponsor. Those are only for cases in which there are multiple derivatives.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you!

One last question...

Part 5 Sponsor's Household Size

1. Enter the number you entered on line 7 of Part 3- 1 (I am only sponsoring 1 immigrant)

2. Yourself- 1

3. If you are currently married, enter "1" for your spouse. -

My confusion is if I enter 1 for my spouse that would make our household size 3 when it is actually just 2. Can I leave item 3, 0?

You do not count anyone twice. So you leave 3 as zero because to put 1 would mean you're counting the beneficiary twice.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.