kaila

Disclosure of incidence of Self-harm (pills intake) many years ago on medical examination.Should I worry about this???

8 posts in this topic

I want to ask.Do I need to worry if I disclosed a SINGLE and ONLY incidence of self harm 14 years ago on my medical examination because I had a very abusive relationship with my ex-boyfriend. I was 23 years old that time. At first, I tried to evade the question when the doctor asked me if I had previous history of hospitalization. I thought about it a second time. So, I disclosed I got hospitalized before because I took sleeping pills due to an abusive relationship.I was afraid they would brand me as a liar if I had not been honest in the first place.

So here's the story. I was still conscious and I even asked my ex boyfriend to take me to the nearest hospital.I knew I would survive. My motif was not really to kill myself but for my ex boyfriend to wake up and change his behavior and the way how he treated me. I thought he would change for the better.He was a sadist and he used to physically abuse me too. I must admit that I did not listen to the advice of other people. I was madly in love with the wrong person at that time. I was too naïve and gullible. After that, I realized that what I did was wrong and vowed not to do it again.

I finally separated from him. Take note, this incidence of self harm happened 14 years ago. Since then, I had not been hospitalized for any similar case. Since then, I managed to move on and improve my life. I totally forgot that trauma because I did not want to live in my past until I met my husband who is a God's perfect gift for me.

Do I need to worry if I disclosed this incidence on the psychiatric form on my medical examination?I've read some threads about self-harm. But for my case, that's the only attempt I had. Since then, I've been stable. I'm normal.

I have to undergo personal evaluation by a psychiatrist because of this disclosure before they submit the report to the embassy. I'm confident that I'm normally and mentally stable since then. I had never been treated for any mental disorder nor put on anti-depressant therapy.

My life progressed normally through willpower and determination to stay away from that abusive relationship (mentally, emotionally, and physically). I feared for my life then.

I want to ask who among you have similar cases. Do you get denied for this incidence of self-harm? If the incidence has NO recurrence and if it occurred so many years ago, will they question you? What are your experiences? I need to be enlightened about this.

I want to be with my husband soon. I chose to be honest rather than being found out in the end. Am I right?

Please bring light about this matter. Thanks. I just want assurance. Do I need to go back to the hospital and ask for a certification that since then, I'm ok? What do I need to do?

Just tell the psych evaluation doctor the story you told us and you should be fine. I really doubt that the psych evaluation doctor will refer you for a psych exam.

Thank you Tahoma. :idea: At least, somehow, I feel relieved. I'll have my personal evaluation scheduled this month. The nurse told me that the psych evaluation doctor will interview me and finalize a report.

I know I don't need to fear because after that traumatic story in my past, I had proven to myself that I can stand even without him. I have a better life now, in the hands of a good,loving, and God-fearing husband. :goofy:(L)

After you complete the psych evaluation, you shouldn't have any trouble with your Embassy interview.

Best wishes for a smooth visa journey.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the happy update.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.