October21

Is it possible to give too much explanation about the ROC packet?

6 posts in this topic

I'm hoping it's still okay to ask some questions here even though I don't post often because all that time in between USCIS events is nice, immigration-free time spent being a normal married couple :). My husband's 90 day window for ROC begins on August 31st so I've been doing a lot of research on here for the past couple of months, just making sure I iron out the kinks of our paperwork *before* that window even opens. I was hoping to send in his packet the first week of September so that it's nowhere close to when his green card expires.

We've been collecting paperwork since he moved here in 2013 so I have most of the necessary forms/paperwork already taken care of and organized: I-751 form filled out and signed, front and back copies of the green card, joint bank statements going back to September 2013, wills (witnessed and notarized), powers of attorney (notarized), drivers licenses showing we live at the same address, 2013 and 2014 IRS tax transcripts - married filing jointly, joint health insurance documentation through my workplace since 2013 with quarterly statements of usage, him listing me as the beneficiary on his AD&D insurance through his workplace, him listing me as his emergency contact at work, car insurance information, our cell phone and house phone bills listed in his name and registered to our address, and some of my monthly student loan payments in my name registered to our address. With that all out of the way, my questions are related to what we DON'T have because of the circumstances we're (still) in.

We live with my dad in his house and have lived there continuously since my husband moved here with his K-1 visa. Neither of us is really earning enough money to move out on our own, though our financial situation is improving considerably. My dad isn't exactly pushing us out the door either so we're all kind of content to just keep things the way they are for now. BUT! Living with my dad means that we have no mortgage/renters agreement/lease, etc. Dad doesn't expect us to pay rent and most of the bills for our household are listed in his name only. He even owns the 2 cars that my husband and I drive (the three of us are on a joint car insurance plan with my dad as the main policyholder, though, so I'm including that information in the packet as well).

I understand that it would be best for us to include an affidavit from my dad in our packet so that he can confirm that we have been living with him from the beginning, rent-free, and that his name is on most of the bills in our house, so he was nice enough to write a letter and he is going to get it notarized at work next week. Should I include *another* letter to further explain our living situation in addition to the one my dad puts in? I've seen on here quite often that people's third-party affidavits are usually very brief so I'm not sure if my dad should keep his note short and sweet and then maybe I could add my longer letter (because yes I already wrote it out) explaining in detail how we have the household finances divided among the three of us. I feel like the devil is in the details with this and if I'm going to be helpful for the adjudicator and include a short list in my cover letter, I'm worried that including *another* piece of explanation might just annoy them. It's like, the information is too detailed to just slip a few sentences into the cover letter but I also think maybe it's too much to include a separate letter. It's important to explain to them why we don't have some of the most important things - joint utilities in our names, home-owning/renting information, no loans or car titles - before they have a reason to send us an RFE for that stuff, right? We'd just have to send them a letter to explain why we don't have it then anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I know this isn't a unique situation by any means but I feel like I'm too ready to just explain the ####### out of everything in the packet and I know that's probably not the best way to go about doing this. Ideally, I'd like to organize packet into color-coded sections for easy reference and maybe put an explanation page before each new section (if necessary). Is that too much?

The Story So Far

K1 Visa Application/Approval

AOS Application Process

http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=135643

ROC Petition Process

September 28, 2015..........................Mailed I-751 packet to VSC (regular mail from Providence, RI)

September 30, 2015..........................Packet received at VSC (signature confirmation)

October 5, 2015.................................VSC makes $590 ACH withdrawal from our bank account

October 6, 2015.................................NOA 1 Received in the mail (dated October 1, 2015)

October 15, 2015...............................Received Biometrics letter in the mail. Appointment set for 10/28/15.

October 28, 2015...............................Biometrics completed.

August 27, 2016................................Approval letter received in the maaaaaaaaaail! Letter is dated August 23, 2016. Now waiting for green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You have plenty of solid evidence -- smart and prepared of you to have collected this all along, and especially to have thought of wills and medical POAs.

Your dad's brief affidavit should suffice.

Don't bother color-coding sections of things. Just use paper clips and binder clips as makes sense. The USCIS mailroom people will rip the package apart and assemble it to their preference anyway.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You have plenty of solid evidence -- smart and prepared of you to have collected this all along, and especially to have thought of wills and medical POAs.

Don't bother color-coding sections of things. Just use paper clips and binder clips as makes sense. The USCIS mailroom people will rip the package apart and assemble it to their preference anyway.

Thank you very much, TBone! I'll tell you: I've seen your name come up *so often* in the old threads I've been reading and I think I have you to thank personally for emphasizing how important the wills/POAs are for marriage in general and this specifically. We're in our late 20s and don't own any property or have any kids so we weren't really even considering it because what do we even have to give away but then I saw how often you say how useful they are and you're absolutely right. So thank you!

Should I maybe keep my explanation letter off to the side in case we do get an RFE later on? It feels kind of naked to not include it but I really don't want to weigh them down with stuff because I've seen enough warnings from people advising against throwing every last piece of anything at the adjudicator who might be having a bad day the day they get to our packet. At the same time, I do want them to be aware of what our life/marriage is like and a very important part of that is living with my dad while we're getting on our feet. That means having most bills *not* in our names, and the few that are are only in one name or the other, not both together. I appreciate your guidance and it's very reassuring, our evidence just doesn't feel like it's *as* substantial as other people's so I feel like I should supplement it.

The Story So Far

AOS Application Process

ROC Petition Process

September 28, 2015..........................Mailed I-751 packet to VSC (regular mail from Providence, RI)

September 30, 2015..........................Packet received at VSC (signature confirmation)

October 5, 2015.................................VSC makes $590 ACH withdrawal from our bank account

October 6, 2015.................................NOA 1 Received in the mail (dated October 1, 2015)

October 15, 2015...............................Received Biometrics letter in the mail. Appointment set for 10/28/15.

August 27, 2016................................Approval letter received in the maaaaaaaaaail! Letter is dated August 23, 2016. Now waiting for green card.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You have plenty of stuff, the individual addresses match, and your dad's affidavit ties it all together. Submit your package without worries.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

You have plenty of stuff, the individual addresses match, and your dad's affidavit ties it all together. Submit your package without worries.

That's really good to know. I can do that, with the exception of the worrying because I'll do that no matter what. Thank you!

The Story So Far

AOS Application Process

ROC Petition Process

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

What TBone said. ^^^ si, man. :thumbs:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.