7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hello,

I am here on an F1 and my son is on an F2. I got married this month and my name is now changed to my husbands last name on the marriage cert.

We will be starting the I-130 and I-485 process for myself and for my son, my questions are:

*. How do we legally change my sons last name to reflect his new family last name (we have acceptance from the foreign father by notarized letter) in order to file under the right name;

*. For the I-693(medical) the civil surgeon requires the names to be as per the passport however they will accept State ID, drivers license or any other official document, can you plead clarify how we can ensure consistency in filling with the correct name for me and my son

Thank you

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Thank you for your response, no he has not, I take it that is another process to follow then? I am aware that applying for him with current last name and want to change later, that will cost money to get the green card changed?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Your marriage can legally change your last name, but your marriage does not legally change your child's last name. Your husband needs to adopt him, and/or get a court ordered name change before he can use a new name.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.