Jump to content

Foreign Minors legal name change

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I am here on an F1 and my son is on an F2. I got married this month and my name is now changed to my husbands last name on the marriage cert.

We will be starting the I-130 and I-485 process for myself and for my son, my questions are:

*. How do we legally change my sons last name to reflect his new family last name (we have acceptance from the foreign father by notarized letter) in order to file under the right name;

*. For the I-693(medical) the civil surgeon requires the names to be as per the passport however they will accept State ID, drivers license or any other official document, can you plead clarify how we can ensure consistency in filling with the correct name for me and my son

Thank you

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your response, no he has not, I take it that is another process to follow then? I am aware that applying for him with current last name and want to change later, that will cost money to get the green card changed?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your marriage can legally change your last name, but your marriage does not legally change your child's last name. Your husband needs to adopt him, and/or get a court ordered name change before he can use a new name.

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.