Jump to content

I-134 and I-864 Question Regarding Tax Returns and Income

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I am new to the forums and couldn't find this exact information after searching around here for a bit.

I have been in college the past 5 years, age 25. I was filed as a dependent to my parents the last 3 years, making below the poverty level as a student.

I graduated and in May 2015 began employment making $75,000 annually, as a full time employee. I can provide proof of employment.

I know the K1 visa can take 5-7 months to get approved and the I-134 form is needed for the consulate interview.

Question #1: Do I wait to get a 2015 tax return receipt from the IRS showing that I make 75,000*8/12=$50,000. and/or is letter with my employer/ paystubs with my salary good enough for the I-134?

Question #2: In the I-864, When I submit my 3 prior years tax returns it would show I make below poverty levels all 3 years, if I don't include 2015. I can get paystubs and a letter to support my current yearly earnings. I am not sure what would be best for substantial/ unquestionable proof.

If tax returns are needed/wanted by the embassy with the I-134 when should I be starting the K1 process for my fiancé?

I want to be safe, in this whole process.

Thanks for the help.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


you won't be needing the i864 for the K1 process

the i864 is the affidavit of support when you marry your fiancé and you send the adjustment of status packet

the affidavit of support for the K1 is the i134, and it is presented at the interview stage

the 2015 tax isn't an obligation until after April 15, 2016.so you do the math

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Thanks for the response!

The embassy is Paris, France. I guess the critical thing is do I need tax returns with the I-134 that show income above poverty levels? I was looking at the forums and some people mention that the embassy asked for them even though it seems they are not technically asked for in the form's instructions. I wanted to make sure since the current tax returns don't show my current income, only that as a college student which fall below the poverty threshold, since I wasn't working full time, prior to 2015. Thanks for the help!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.