kira1234

DV Lottery 2017

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All,

I'm very anxious to apply for DV 2017 and I'm praying that I get it. After doing some online research, I'm confused as to why the year of the lottery is two years away from the year in which you're applying in. For example, I'm applying October 2015 for the 2017 lottery. I know it takes a while to get it and the results come out in May of the following year if you were chosen but I assumed you had until September 30 of that same year (not 2017) to be interviewed and get your visa before the next lottery starts Oct 1st of the same year (2016). Did I get this wrong or can someone please explain the actual timeline? I would greatly appreciate getting some clarity

For DV2017 - it is applicable for the 2017 fiscal year, which runs October 2016 to September 2017. It is during these months that the interviews take place and visas are issued. (You enter Oct/Nov 2015, draw is in May 2016, and interviews start Oct 2016 and run till Sept 2017.)

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the clarification Susie. If I do not win the DV Lottery 2017, I plan on applying again for DV 2018. I'm not giving up. However, I also want to apply to grad school Sept 2016. Would me getting my F1 visa be affected in anyway by the lottery or vice versa. I would find out if I was chosen May 2017 and start interviews Oct 2017-Sept 2018 by your timeline but I would also be getting an F1 visa around the same time and starting school Oct 2017 when the interviews would be taking place. How would that work for me?

Well, when your interview is will depend on your case number. One thing that you will need to bear in mind is that if you are selected you will need to submit a DS260, which is a petition for an immigrant visa. Once you've done that, it messes up a potential F1 application because that's a non-immigrant visa and will be denied as you will have expressed immigrant intent. There may be ways around this depending on your case number and when you submit the DS260, so my suggestion would be this: if you are selected, come back with an indication of your case number and we can then figure out the best approach. In the meanwhile, it's a lottery, so plan your life as though you won't win it and then deal with the (happy) consequences in the small probability event that you do!

If you win/interview once you are in the U.S. on F1 you can adjust status to permanent resident.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly from having read other peoples responses I would not expect an application for DV to be considered immigrant intent when the chances of getting selected are so small.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Certainly from having read other peoples responses I would not expect an application for DV to be considered immigrant intent when the chances of getting selected are so small.

The application for DV isn't, but the submission of a DS260 once selected is - which is what I was referring to.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I do not dispute that but very few applicants reach that stage.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I do not dispute that but very few applicants reach that stage.

Sure, I'm just confused by your previous post (ie what it is in response to) s there as no suggestion anywhere that just entering DV is immigrant intent. OP asked what would happen if chosen, which is what I answered.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.