JolyDan

Going back to Canada on AP

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello VJers

I just receive my combo card (Advance parole) and I'm planning on visiting my family next week. I'll be crossing by car and I have a few questions to make sure everything goes smoothly.

I've heard that Canadian resident are not allowed to drive US car across the border. If I have all my paper, am I consider non-resident?

I have a nexus card, am I allowed to use the nexus lane?

Also, my passport is under my maiden name and my card under my married name. Do I need to carry my marriage certificate? Any other documents? All my USCIS paper?

What should I expect? Will I be bring inside?

Any people cross on AP at the Champlain NY POE?

any input appreciate

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

1. There shouldn't be any problem driving a Canadian car to US. The only time it would be a problem is if you are living in a state in US for longer than certain time (I think 3 months) when you get considered resident of that state, you should have that state plates. You should have worked with port of entry to import your car to US. Without that import paperwork from the border, you won't be able to get US license plates.

2. I don't think NEXUS lane should be an issue. The only thing would be if that advanced parole is not mentioned in your NEXUS record. If there is a NEXUS office near you, try to go there and get that updated. If you can't, call the port of entry itself. You can get the phone number from http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports. Check if you can use NEXUS lane.

3. Yes, carry all that paperwork just in case they ask.

4. If you look nervous, you would. Make sure you don't look nervous, since you have all the documents to prove your facts.

5. No idea about that particular border. I had problems at Thousand Island, NY and Ogdensburg, NY which are not very used to people of my skin color or country of origin. I didn't have any problems at Buffalo. I think people of Montreal probably often cross from Champlain NY, so shouldn't have much problem.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello VJers

I just receive my combo card (Advance parole) and I'm planning on visiting my family next week. I'll be crossing by car and I have a few questions to make sure everything goes smoothly.

I've heard that Canadian resident are not allowed to drive US car across the border. If I have all my paper, am I consider non-resident?

I live in Fargo. On the weekends, there are more Canadian cars than North Dakota. I have also never been asked about my ownership. I don't think this will be an issue.

I have a nexus card, am I allowed to use the nexus lane?

Also, my passport is under my maiden name and my card under my married name. Do I need to carry my marriage certificate? Any other documents? All my USCIS paper?

Carry your marriage certificate. I have found Canadian border patrol to be pickier about such things than other countries. I am a single parent. Whenever we go to Winnipeg, I have always had to show my daughter's birth certificate with only me on it. I never had this in Europe.

What should I expect? Will I be bring inside?

Any people cross on AP at the Champlain NY POE?

any input appreciate

Thanks

Edited by p1nkmamba

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Absolutely you can for a visit - you're not importing it, you're visiting family and then returning to the US - correct?

To clarify (and separate from teh car discussion) - the Canadian border patrol may ask what your status in the US is...they have to right to and you just explain you're adjusting to permanent residency and have your AP travel document with you.

I think my car question was not clear. I can't bring a US car in Canada (from what I read) So i"m canadian, driving our US car across the border :)

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians are not allowed to drive cars with US plates into Canada without a lot of pain related to importation. To avoid the issue it will be important for you to 1) show that you are a U.S. permanent resident, we have to show our green card every time we drive back. I am not sure how they will react to AP status. I would think it would be ok. And 2) they will want to know who owns the car so be prepared to answer that and possibly show proof.

09/12/14 I 129F sent
TSC Assigned
09/18/14 NOA1 received
02/20/15 RFE received
03/17/15 RFE Reply
04/02/15 NOA2
08/04/15 Interview
08/17/15 POE
09/04/15 Wedding

AOS
09/29/15 Mailed
10/26/15 Biometrics

EAD
09/29/15Mailed
10/26/15 Biometrics
12/18/15 Card in production

12/23/15 Card mailed

12/24/15 Card received

1/18/16 Started work

I-751

11/13/17 Mailed to VSC

11/14/17 Received by VSC

11/20/17 NOA1 received 

12/09/17 Biometrics letter received 

12/21/17 Biometrics appointment

08/06/18 I-797 Notice of Action 18 month extension

01/18/19 10 Year Green Card Received 

N-400 

06/05/2019 Mailed

06/07/2019 Rec'd Texas

06/11/2019 NOA Rec'd

07/05/2019 Biometrics

11/07/2019 Interview

11/13/2019 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.