Birth Certificate Questions

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The birth certificate must contain the:

• Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Names of both parents
  • Indication by the appropriate authority that it is an extract from the official records

Names of both parents; my birth certificate is from Ontario, but its the size of a business card. I don't believe it has my parents names on it. Do I need a different birth certificate?

Edited by Faust942

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Short answer is yes, you need the full-size one from Vital Statistics or whatever it's called in Ontario.

2009/09/30 Married
IR-1 begins: 2015/07/07 Courier I-130 petition to Chicago

2015/07/08 Petition delivered | NOA1 date
2015/07/10 Received emailed NOA1 (California) 2015/07/20 Received snail mail NOA1
2015/08/25 NOA2 by email/USCIS site (48 days) 2015/09/02 Received snail mail NOA2

2015/09/15 Received by NVC (21 days)

2015/09/27 Case number assigned (12 days) 2015/09/28 Got case number and IIN over the phone
2015/09/28 Submitted DS-261 2015/09/29 Paid AOS fee (IN PROCESS) 2015/10/01 AOS fee PAID
2015/10/13 Received NVC Welcome Letter hard copy
2015/10/15 Reviewed DS-261 (17 days)
2015/10/16 Received IV Invoice 2015/10/16 Paid IV fee (IN PROCESS)

2015/10/17 Submitted AOS package & IV package 2015/10/19 IV fee PAID 2015/10/19 Submitted DS-260 (scan date)

2015/10/20 Re-sent files (new scan date) 2015/10/29 CASE COMPLETE!

2015/11/13 Heard about interview date (phone) (15 days) 2015/12/07 Medical

2015/12/18 INTERVIEW! 221(g) request for additional sponsor. Otherwise good to go!

2016/01/07 Additional information and passport sent back to Mtl Consulate.

2016/01/12 Passport & 221g delivered to Consulate

2016/01/14 Status updated on CEAC; no update yet on ais.usvisa-info.com

2016/01/28 Status updated to READY 2016/01/29 Status updated to ISSUED

2016/02/01 Received Canada Post info 2016/02/03 Got it!

2016/02/04 POE YVR

2016/03/18 Received green card

2018/11/08 Submitted N-400 online

2018/11/09 Estimated wait time: 31 Days  2018/11/09 Estimated case completion time: 11 months

2018/11/10 Biometrics appt scheduled 2018/11/13 Appointment letter received online

2018/11/27 Biometrics appt

2019/02/25 Interview scheduled

2019/04/01 Interview: APPROVED

2019/04/23 Oath Ceremony

2020/04/03 Elected to local office

You need to get the long-form birth certificate, the one you have is short form.

You can order it here: http://www.ontario.ca/government/get-or-replace-ontario-birth-certificate

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Damn need a guarantor.

Thanks for the tip on the long form!

Yup, Guarantor is the fun part. A lot of people seemed to use their doctor.

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Guarantor is easy now. All that they need to be is a current valid passport holder or expired for no more than a year. Plus known you for two years No longer a pastor, doctor, judge, etc

Edited by Transborderwife

Timeline

Guarantor is easy now. All that they need to be is a current valid passport holder or expired for no more than a year. Plus known you for two years No longer a pastor, doctor, judge, etc

Actually, it asks for the guarantor to be a bunch of different roles. Unfortunately, I clicked the wrong button, saying that I didn't have permission to use the guarantor, and now its asking me to send in a letter.

I need to call, I think to cancel/change the request.

Edited by Faust942

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, it asks for the guarantor to be a bunch of different roles. Unfortunately, I clicked the wrong button, saying that I didn't have permission to use the guarantor, and now its asking me to send in a letter.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/guarantor-reference.asp

Guarantors

A guarantor is needed for all new passport applications submitted by mail or in person. A guarantor can be a family member or any individual living at your address, as long as they meet the requirements.

The guarantor must do the following, free of charge:

Complete and sign the Declaration of Guarantor section of your application.

Write I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant name) on the back of one of the passport photos and sign it.

If applicable, sign and date the photocopies of each document you have submitted to confirm your identity.

You cannot help the guarantor in performing these duties. If your guarantor needs assistance, contact the passport program.

Guarantor requirements if you are applying in Canada

Your guarantor must:

Hold a 5-year or 10-year Canadian passport that is valid or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application.

Have known you (the applicant) personally for at least 2 years.

In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known you (the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of the child) personally for at least two years and must have knowledge of the child.

Be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older.

Have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport.

Provide the requested information contained in his or her passport.

Be accessible to the passport program for verification.

If you are the parent or legal guardian and you are applying on behalf of your child, you cannot sign as guarantor on your childs application. However, the other parent (not submitting the application) can sign as long as the requirements are met.

Guarantors

A guarantor is needed for all new passport applications submitted by mail or in person. A guarantor can be a family member or any individual living at your address, as long as they meet the requirements.

Write I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant name) on the back of one of the passport photos and sign it.

If applicable, sign and date the photocopies of each document you have submitted to confirm your identity.

You cannot help the guarantor in performing these duties. If your guarantor needs assistance, contact the passport program.

Your guarantor must:

Hold a 5-year or 10-year Canadian passport that is valid or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application.

In the case of a child, the guarantor must have known you (the parent or legal guardian who is applying on behalf of the child) personally for at least two years and must have knowledge of the child.

Have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport.

If you are the parent or legal guardian and you are applying on behalf of your child, you cannot sign as guarantor on your childs application. However, the other parent (not submitting the application) can sign as long as the requirements are met.

Timeline

Guarantors

Your guarantor must:

Guarantors

Your guarantor must:

problem is that it says above this is for passport applications. Service Canada website still asks for a certain designation.

Yeah, passports do not equal long form birth certificates. He's applying for a birth certificate, long form. Not a passport.

My fiance is using his accountant, he could also use his family doctor.

"

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is someone who certifies that the information you provided on the birth certificate application is complete and accurate.

ServiceOntario may contact your guarantor by phone to verify the information you provided on your application.

A guarantor must be a Canadian citizen who has known the applicant for at least 2 years and is currently serving as one of the following:

• judge, justice of the peace, municipal police officer, provincial police officer or officer of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, First Nations police officer and/or constables
  • mayor
  • member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
  • minister of religion authorized under provincial law to perform marriages
  • municipal clerk or treasurer who is a member of the Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers of Ontario
  • notary public
  • principal or vice-principal of a primary or secondary school
  • senior administrator or professor in a university of a senior administrator in a community college or in a CEGEP in Quebec, or
  • signing officer of a bank

Your guarantor can also be a Canadian citizen who has known the applicant for at least two years and is a practicing member in good standing of a provincial regulatory body established by law to govern one of the following professions:

• chiropractor, dentist, midwife, nurse, optometrist, pharmacist, physician, or surgeon, psychologist or veterinarian
  • lawyer
  • professional accountant
  • professional engineer
  • social worker or social service worker, or
  • teacher in a primary or secondary school

The list above is not an endorsement by the Office of the Registrar General of professional status or recognition of qualifications.

A family member can be your guarantor if that person is a Canadian citizen, has known you for at least 2 years and is currently serving as one of the above noted occupations.

For more information contact ServiceOntario toll free: 1-800-461-2156 or in the GTA: 416-325-8305.

Apply for a birth certificate online"

from http://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-guarantor

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Gawd - this guarantor ####### (this was that super bad word cr@p) so ancient, always hated it. They need to 'modern that up'

All this to get your own birth cert where you could provide other valid forms of government id which would do the trick.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

I ordered my birth certificate online from vital statistics in BC when I was in Alberta. It's amazing Ontario is so weird about being able to get it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.