dhenz91

Can I Get Married Even If My Green Card Has NOT Arrived Yet?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You already fulfilled the condition of the F2A petition by entering the US as an unmarried child.

Getting married will not affect the issue with your GC because the marriage happened AFTER your first US entry (using the F2A visa).

If you want to play it safe then wait for the GC. Your call. ?

If that's the case, then I don't want to wait for the GC.. It would be best if I have it before i leave though.. But if not, I'll just get a current I-551 stamp then :)) Thank you so much.. You're comment was a relief ;)

Timeline

It simple,

Postpone your marriage until you get you GC,stop freaking out!!!

I wish I could do that coz we both don't have all the time in the world.. I wouldn't be posting here if it was okay for us to postpone the wedding.. He's a seafarer and he doesn't have much time off board.. We can only spend 3-4 months by the time he's off his contract..

If it was okay for us to just cancel the whole marriage thing, I wouldn't care posting here asking for some advices from people who might have gone through same thing.. Thank you for your advice though.. Very helpful.. Only to those whose fiancees are just waiting on their home country doing their land-based job....

Timeline

I wish I could do that coz we both don't have all the time in the world.. I wouldn't be posting here if it was okay for us to postpone the wedding.. He's a seafarer and he doesn't have much time off board.. We can only spend 3-4 months by the time he's off his contract..

If it was okay for us to just cancel the whole marriage thing, I wouldn't care posting here asking for some advices from people who might have gone through same thing.. Thank you for your advice though.. Very helpful.. Only to those whose fiancees are just waiting on their home country doing their land-based job....

My husband had the same situation before, it took him 7 months before he got his GC, he went to a local uscis to ask if he will have a problem going back to manila without it and the consul said that there shouldn't be any problem with that as long as u have a valid stamp but expect some delays in the POE since they will be asking you further questions.. Luckily for him he received his green card 2 weeks before his flight..

By the way, are you staying in manila for more than 6 months? why do you need a re-entry permit?

(L) (L) (L) (L) (L) F2A Filler (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

05/03/2014 - sent I-130 to lockbox
05/08/2014 - received NOA1 via email
08/27/2014 - received NOA2 via email

NVC STAGE:

09/28/2014 - received case number from NVC
06/24/2015 - received NVC Welcome Letter
06/24/2015 - done with ds261 over the phone
06/24/2015 - sent AOS Fee payment thru mail
06/29/2015 - Confirmed thru phone AOS payment posted
06/30/2015 - Sent IV Fee thru mail
07/07/2015 - IV Fee Payment already posted in CEAC
07/07/2015 - done with DS260
07/10/2015 - sent AOS and Civil docs
07/13/2015 - received in NVC NW
07/28/2015 - Verified Case Complete by phone
09/30/2015 - Interview Schedule verified over the phone

xxxxxxxxxx - Visa status " READY"
11/09/2015 - Interview at USEM

xxxxxxxxxx - received VISA

xxxxxxxxxx - POE

Timeline

My husband had the same situation before, it took him 7 months before he got his GC, he went to a local uscis to ask if he will have a problem going back to manila without it and the consul said that there shouldn't be any problem with that as long as u have a valid stamp but expect some delays in the POE since they will be asking you further questions.. Luckily for him he received his green card 2 weeks before his flight..

By the way, are you staying in manila for more than 6 months? why do you need a re-entry permit?

That's good.. No, I don't need a re-entry permit.. I don't have plan on staying there for more than 6 months.. probably 5 months..

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I got this notice just now. They just received all the evidences. Around how long do you think will it take for them to make decision and mail me my GC??

Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received

On September 22, 2015, we received your response to our Request for Evidence for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card , Receipt Number MSC************430. Our National Benefits Center office will begin working on your case again. We will mail you a decision or notify you if we need something from you. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

in your visa foil, glued inside of the passport,

is there a small paragraph containing the word 'endorsement'? yes? no?

if yes,

please write out that entire paragraph here....

thanks !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

in your visa foil, glued inside of the passport,

is there a small paragraph containing the word 'endorsement'? yes? no?

if yes,

please write out that entire paragraph here....

thanks !

Yes, it says "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR".

Timeline
Case History
  • 07/13/2015
    sign_icon.png

On July 13, 2015, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number SR*************MSC, was completed.

• 07/13/2015
    sign_icon.png

On July 13, 2015, we sent a response to your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number SR*************MSC.

• 07/13/2015
    sign_icon.png

On July 13, 2015, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number SR*************MSC, was assigned to an officer for response.

• 06/27/2015
    sign_icon.png

We mailed a request for initial evidence for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card .

• 03/11/2015
    sign_icon.png

We received your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card .

Alright, so here is my case history. and the current status was the one i posted above for September 22, 2015.

Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received

On September 22, 2015, we received your response to our Request for Evidence for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card , Receipt Number MSC**********0. Our National Benefits Center office will begin working on your case again. We will mail you a decision or notify you if we need something from you. If you move, go towww.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Yes, it says "UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR".

cool. You know what an i-551 document is, right?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

cool. You know what an i-551 document is, right?

Yeah.. It'll serve as your temporary GC for 1 yr while u still havent received the physical GC card.. On my case, its gonna be my 1st yr this oct.10.. I alreasy scheduled infopass appt this oct.16 to get a current I-551 stamp..

Timeline

Aha. Now i fully understand the problem.

yup yup, infopass to get new i-551 stamp is only solution to match your marriage calendar.

Timeline

Aha. Now i fully understand the problem.

yup yup, infopass to get new i-551 stamp is only solution to match your marriage calendar.

Yeah, I just really wish the card would arrive before my flight. It's been 7 months already since we filed the I-90. It's just weird coz with USCIS, they have a record that my GC was mailed thru USPS and they even gave me a tracking number. And when i check the tracking number, its not even a valid tracking number. i went to USPS to check if they had any undeliverables with this tracking number, they said they that they never had this tracking number in their record. That's why we filed for replacement with no cost. I just really wish i will have GC soon. My younger sister who just got here May of this year, already got her GC after a month. Got hers first before I did. Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Basing on my timeline below, around when do you think will I receive my physical GC? I'm scheduled for biometric this oct. 30.

• 10/30/2015 - Biometric Appointment Scheduled at 3:00pm.
  • 10/16/2015 - Scheduled for InfoPass Appointment to get a current I-551 Stamp. I-551 stamp is now valid for 9 months effective this day.
  • 10/16/2015 - We scheduled you for a fingerprint and biometrics appointment and mailed you an appointment notice for Receipt Number MSC************. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your appointment notice by November 15, 2015, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.
  • 10/11/2015 - My I-551 stamp will expire since it's been a year already. Scheduled for InfoPass appointment dated Oct. 16, 2015.
  • 09/22/2015 - We received your response to our Request for Evidence for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card . Our National Benefits Center office is working on your case again.
  • 07/13/2015 - On July 13, 2015, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number SR1************MSC, was completed.
  • 07/13/2015 - On July 13, 2015, we sent a response to your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number SR1************MSC.
  • 07/13/2015 - On July 13, 2015, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number SR1************MSC, was assigned to an officer for response.
  • 06/27/2015 - We mailed a request for initial evidence for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card .
  • 03/11/2015 - We received your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card

Got here to US Oct. 11, 2014. I never received my green card since. On USCIS record, they have mailed out my card already on Dec. 10, 2014 with a tracking no. 9205592338400153751310. Well, the tracking number they gave is invalid. I went to local USPS Office to check any undeliverable items with this tracking number and they told me that never had this tracking number on their record ever. So we filed for I-90 and didn't pay anything, we waived the fee. Then the timeline goes as mentioned above.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.