dhenz91

Can I Get Married Even If My Green Card Has NOT Arrived Yet?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can someone who entered US an LPR under F2A category, get married even if she hasn't received her green card yet??

I've been here for almost a year already and I haven't received my green card yet.. It was lost in the mail. I already filed an I-90 for it.. Me and my fiancee (who is Filipino) is planning to get married this coming January 2016 in the Philippines.

The status for my I-90 Application right now is:

Request for Initial Evidence Notice Was Mailed

On June 27, 2015, we suspended processing of your case, Receipt Number XXXXXXXXXXXX, because we need more information from you. Your notice explains what we need from you to resume work on your case. We will not take action on your case until we receive the evidence or the deadline to submit it expires. Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your request for initial evidence notice by July 27, 2015, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Now I'm afraid to not know how long this gonna take before I receive my GC. And I think its possible that until our wedding date that I might still have not receive my green card.

Timeline

Yes, no problems.

Even if I go home with just a current I-551 stamp on my passport and marry him? Coz I heard sometime before that I shouldn't get married till I get my green card.

:( That made me confused. Coz there's a possibility that I might not receive my greencard still untill the day of our marriage because of its long process itself and some of these delays.

:(

Edited by dhenz91

Timeline

If your stamp is still current and you're not out of status then you're ok.

Well my stamp is going to expire this coming October 2015.. The wedding is going to be on January 2016.. But I am planning to get an Infopass Appointment to ask for a current stamp..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

what's the postal mail contents of the RFE?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

what's the postal mail contents of the RFE?

I didn't get my own copy in the my mail.. My lawyer got the RFE notice.. I requested for my own copy, I haven't received it yet.. I'll ask him..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

lawyer? oh wow.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

lawyer? oh wow.

yeah, we do have one who works on everything.. He and my sister is the one who always communicate about the case and they don't tell me any updates on whats going on.. What i do is just google, worry, and all.. Lol.. I really don't communicate with him, my older sister does. I just voice out my concern to my sister and she's the one who communicates with the lawyer.. That's why im here on this forum.. -_- to share whatever i know, and to ask what i don't..

Timeline

I just don't want to hear them say "Hey, lets just postpone your wedding, let's just wait for your green card, just to be on the safe side".. :(

That's why I'm taking opinions here.. To know what exactly are the possibilities.. If its really is a big matter or its still safe and secure..

Timeline

The GC nor the i551 stamp is not a requirement for marriage in the Philippines.

However, you need a valid i551 stamp for re-entry to the US and for filing the i130. So don't leave the US without it! ?

Timeline

The GC nor the i551 stamp is not a requirement for marriage in the Philippines.

However, you need a valid i551 stamp for re-entry to the US and for filing the i130. So don't leave the US without it! ?

I know its not a requirement.. I'm not worried on getting married,,, I'm more worried on my new status (married -_-) for my re-entry to US, anyways, will they know that I got married in the Phil?? ..Will it affect the processing of my green card? As I was originally petitioned under F2A?? And i always hear from my friends that I should stay single till I get my GC..

Timeline

You already fulfilled the condition of the F2A petition by entering the US as an unmarried child.

Getting married will not affect the issue with your GC because the marriage happened AFTER your first US entry (using the F2A visa).

If you want to play it safe then wait for the GC. Your call. ?

Edited by apple21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.