CharlieTanger

Police Cert Expiry

9 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I'm a bit confused on this. I remember a few months ago I was told that you can use a police certificate up to a full year (for both medical and interview) before it expires; however, I've just seen on the U.S. London embassy website that it mentions 6 months. Can anyone clarify?

"For applicants aged 16 and over, a UK police certificate (known as an ACRO) issued within the past 6 months;"

http://london.usembassy.gov/mobile/iv/medical_examination.html

The statement you are referring to means that they want a recent police certificate that's been issued within the last 6 months.

The certificate itself is valid for 12 months.

http://london.usembassy.gov/iv/application_documents.html#008

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom: If you have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, you are required to obtain a police certificate from the ACPO Criminal Records Office (ACRO). Further information is available from their website atwww.acro.police.uk.

Note: UK police certificates are valid for 12 months only. Failure to present all necessary and valid police certificates at the time of the interview will incur significant delays to your application.

Mar 2014 - Married

5/7/14?? - Attorney mailed paperwork

5/15/14 DHS cashed check

5/19/14 - NOA1 received with PD 5/12/14

10/17/14 - NOA2 received

10/28/14 - Email received that file has been sent to NVC

11/13/14 - NVC received file

12/10/14 - NVC Assigned case number

12/12/14 - AOS Fee Invoiced

12/13/14 - Submit email to NVC to remove attorney as DS-261 Agent

12/16/14 - AOS Fee showing as Paid

12/17/14 - IV Fee invoiced

12/20/14 - IV fee available and paid

12/27/14 - DS-260 submitted

1/2/15 - AOS and IV packages sent to NVC

1/5/15 - USPS delivered packages to NVC

1/7/15 - NVC scanned in packages. Let the countdown begin...

1/30/15 - FINALLY got a reply to my email to remove the attorney from the DS-261

3/9/15 - Called NVC and they have checklisted us for an "incorrect" decree absolute from the UK, even though it is the legal official document. Have requested a supervisor review.

4/28/15 - Called and NVC said supervisor had reviewed and now claimed that the decree absolute was not included. After disagreeing with the less than helpful lady on the phone, and her not being able to get the review time right. (She kept changing her story between 42 days and 30 days).

4/30/15 - Sent the same copy of the decree absolute to the NVC from the UK, highlighting the "decree absolute" wording with a letter stating that this is the only document provided by the UK government.

5/6/15 - Scan date for checklist received.

6/5/15 - Case complete!!!

6/12/15 - Called and interview is scheduled for July 1!

6/14/15 - Received email with interview date and instructions.

6/19/15 - Case showing as ready on CEAC.

7/1/15 - Approved at interview!!!

7/6/15 - CEAC changed to Administrative Processing

7/7/15 - CEAC changed to Issued!!!!!

7/10/15 - Passport and packet delivered!

7/29/15 - Husband entered with visa at Dallas/Fort Worth airport

9/29/15 - GC delivered!!!

5/4/17 - ROC packet sent via USPS

5/9/17 - Tracking shows delivered

5/17/17 - Check cashed

5/19/17 - NOA1 received with date of 5/8/17

5/27/17 - Biometrics appt received 6/8/17

Knightsbridge, like the embassy, has accepted it up to 12 months.

Ring them up. Unlike the USCIS, NVC, and embassy, somebody should actually pick up quickly and give you an answer.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Ok, thanks!!

Ours comes up as 6 months old mid-November. I'm hoping my fiancé has the interview by then anyway! But just playing it safe.

Nich, as long as you know that they've accepted ones up to 12 months old ...my mind is at ease haha

Ok, thanks!!

Ours comes up as 6 months old mid-November. I'm hoping my fiancé has the interview by then anyway! But just playing it safe.

Nich, as long as you know that they've accepted ones up to 12 months old ...my mind is at ease haha

Can somebody explain to me why everybody seems reluctant to get on the phone and ask questions? I am not just talking about you Charlie. Everybody chirp in. I can see asking on a forum when you have a USCIS question and get nowhere with the information line. But Knightsbridge is an easy call for UK persons. I remember several times people had things they needed to straighten out in a short window of time before the results went to the embassy. I said call them up first thing Monday morning. So Monday they post "I emailed Knightsbridge this morning. Hope I hear from them today,"

I am not criticizing anybody, but just really curious if this is a British thing or maybe a generational thing. Has the world of social media and texting paralyzed your mouths? I love to call people and make sure they know what I am asking and I understand their response. I've called Knightsbridge, CBP general number several times, CBP supervisor at Houston airport, DOS when they still talked to you, and the IRS constantly.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Can somebody explain to me why everybody seems reluctant to get on the phone and ask questions? Phones are OLD SCHOOL!!! I am not just talking about you Charlie. Everybody chirp in. I can see asking on a forum when you have a USCIS question and get nowhere with the information line. But Knightsbridge is an easy call for UK persons. I remember several times people had things they needed to straighten out in a short window of time before the results went to the embassy. I said call them up first thing Monday morning. So Monday they post "I emailed Knightsbridge this morning. Hope I hear from them today,"

I am not criticizing anybody, but just really curious if this is a British thing or maybe a generational thing. Has the world of social media and texting paralyzed your mouths? YES EXACTLY!!! Less personal contact is better. Emails let you craft exactly what you want to say. Sometimes I blurt out stupid stuff on the phone. I love to call people and make sure they know what I am asking and I understand their response. I've called Knightsbridge, CBP general number several times, CBP supervisor at Houston airport, DOS when they still talked to you, and the IRS constantly.

Personal standpoint: we are both phone shy. But he's on phones for a living, and I've phoned more people in this entire process than I've done in a long time. I tend to think that when it's something critically important relating to the most important decision of both your lives, that the person would get on the phone instead of waiting needlessly. I'd actually like if agencies were more email responsive, and if not email responsive.. actually better phone responsive. I think though that people become very nervous and overwhelmed when they think about speaking to a government agency. Don't know about you but the most dreaded phone calls I often have to make is to my ISP. They make me sad for humanity and reluctant to deal with their lack of customer service. Maybe that's what people are used to? Case and point, I called my local clerk's office because the website mentioned nothing about immigrants. I got someone that seemed annoyed that I made them pick up the phone, cut me off mid sentence and referred me to the website. When I politely stated the website showed nothing related to my question, the tone got even more snarky and harshly sneered out the requirements. So.. when dealing with someone like that, which is what I think most people are afraid they are going to expect, I'd rather speak to them in person or fire off an email.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I was waiting for you to reply April. I know how you feel. :P

I hate it when I email and get a canned answer that has nothing to do with my question. So then I reply to that with "Did you even read my question? I asked blah blah blah..." And so on to my third reply which says..."Can you please stop giving me canned responses from your website and re-read what I am asking?"

Old school for sure. I could ask 35 questions in the time it takes me to text a sentence on my phone. I hit all the wrong letters. Thank God for the talk to text function. Okay on the iPad.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Personal standpoint: we are both phone shy. But he's on phones for a living, and I've phoned more people in this entire process than I've done in a long time. I tend to think that when it's something critically important relating to the most important decision of both your lives, that the person would get on the phone instead of waiting needlessly. I'd actually like if agencies were more email responsive, and if not email responsive.. actually better phone responsive. I think though that people become very nervous and overwhelmed when they think about speaking to a government agency. Don't know about you but the most dreaded phone calls I often have to make is to my ISP. They make me sad for humanity and reluctant to deal with their lack of customer service. Maybe that's what people are used to? Case and point, I called my local clerk's office because the website mentioned nothing about immigrants. I got someone that seemed annoyed that I made them pick up the phone, cut me off mid sentence and referred me to the website. When I politely stated the website showed nothing related to my question, the tone got even more snarky and harshly sneered out the requirements. So.. when dealing with someone like that, which is what I think most people are afraid they are going to expect, I'd rather speak to them in person or fire off an email.

Those are very good points. I am not afraid of the government. Not the tiniest bit. The whole immigration process was not stressful to me in the sense I was not afraid to make a mistake or that doing so would ruin everything like a death penalty.

I have gotten some very good deals by calling up the ISP (lower rate for a year plus free HBO or $20 credit because the cable went out), airlines, electric provider, TurboTax (free $99 software this year), MasterCard charges for paying late refunded as well as the interest.

If anybody is rude or stupid, I ask their name and badge number. If they ask why, I tell them I am going to report them. And I ask over and over and over to speak to a supervisor. If they say it may be a long wait, I say I'll wait all day and night if I have to because you are not being helpful.

Have confidence in yourself kids. Don't let anybody intimidate you.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.