greg&dawn

Fiance' & No Legal Ties to Children - Is there a form for this?

6 posts in this topic

I have no idea where to begin looking for this answer and my search generates results about having an adopted child, which isn't the case. Here is my question: Is there any type of form or record that needs to be handled for birth children that are no longer legally his? For deeply personal reasons, he relinquished his parental rights so his ex's new husband could adopt the children. Because he does not have any contact with them, and they are legally another man's children, we did not include them on the k-129f. We are at the place for him to fill out the DS-260 and I just want to make sure there isn't something lurking that has to be handled.

He has access to all the legal documentation and will have it with him, but his original divorce papers do mention custody agreements since the adoptions occurred a few months after the divorce.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense and your sensitivity to this situation is so appreciated.

If the child has been adopted by someone else there is no tie , it was severed by adoption

Thank you and that is what we sort of assumed, but we also wanted to avoid him not being prepared at the interview since the divorce degree shows custody but the 129F does not include them.

If there is a copy of papers that show him giving up rights have that with you at the interview in case it comes up.

Thank you for your help! :)

K1 do the DS 160 not 260. I concur with nigeriaorbust on the paperwork. You also do not need the entire divorce paperwork, just the final divorce decree or certificate.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.