canadagirl89

Importing a car from Canada that has a loan

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Here's a question.

What if one (a US citizen) heads down to the US with the "loaned" car from canada, land a job, then get granted a loan to pay off the car, pay off the balance, then pay off the loan...all while having the unregistered car in the states.

Would this be possible w/o any fees or extra costs?

• 1 year later...
On 03/07/2015 at 4:34 PM, canadagirl89 said:

I'm with Scotiabank and I just called the loan department. The guy said that the US customs won't let me import my car if it has a loan on it, then he said that perhaps I could find a US bank that will pay off my Canadian loan.

I'm going to be getting my IR-I visa next week so will be travelling pretty soon. My husband is going to go to a credit union on Monday to ask, but I don't see them giving out a loan to him unless they see the actual paperwork of my car, which they can't see until I get there.

Will CBP give me issues about this? Do I need to have any extra paperwork?

Help?

Hi, just wondering if you were able to bring your car to the US? I am moving in June and I want to take my vehicle with me but it is new so there is a loan still owing. I've been researching info but not a lot of info comes up.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

The OP hasn't logged on here for a full year, so she might not reply.

The other answers here are probably valid.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, I have the same situation as Canadagirl89. I have a car loan with Scotiabank and would like to take my car with me when moving to the states. Any recommendation? 

On 2015-07-03 at 4:34 PM, canadagirl89 said:

I'm with Scotiabank and I just called the loan department. The guy said that the US customs won't let me import my car if it has a loan on it, then he said that perhaps I could find a US bank that will pay off my Canadian loan.

I'm going to be getting my IR-I visa next week so will be travelling pretty soon. My husband is going to go to a credit union on Monday to ask, but I don't see them giving out a loan to him unless they see the actual paperwork of my car, which they can't see until I get there.

Will CBP give me issues about this? Do I need to have any extra paperwork?

Help?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Daniel Stang said:

Hello all, I have the same situation as Canadagirl89. I have a car loan with Scotiabank and would like to take my car with me when moving to the states. Any recommendation? 

Hi Daniel, 

I finally was able to import my car, I went to the local credit union where I was living in the states and they "bought out" my car. They opened a car loan for me for the price of the Scotiabank loan and they wrote me a check which I mailed to Scotiabank. Then when it was confirmed paid off I traveled up there (my car was staying with a friend) and brought it back. I did have to get a letter from the manufacturer of the car though saying it met US department of transportation. It was with Ford and I had to call around cause many of the dealerships didn't even know what I was talking about. 

Good luck! 

June 16th: IR-1 Interview in Montreal. Approved

June 16th: Case Status as "Ready"

June 25th: Case Status as "Ready"

June 30th: Case Status as "Ready"

July 1st: Case Status as "Ready"

July 2nd: Case Status as "ISSUED"

July 8th: Waybill # received

July 9th: Visa pickup

July 9th: POE

14 minutes ago, canadagirl89 said:

Hi Daniel, 

I finally was able to import my car, I went to the local credit union where I was living in the states and they "bought out" my car. They opened a car loan for me for the price of the Scotiabank loan and they wrote me a check which I mailed to Scotiabank. Then when it was confirmed paid off I traveled up there (my car was staying with a friend) and brought it back. I did have to get a letter from the manufacturer of the car though saying it met US department of transportation. It was with Ford and I had to call around cause many of the dealerships didn't even know what I was talking about. 

Good luck! 

I thought that may be the route you were going to go.  I'm glad you found an option for you!  Obviously this doesn't work as well with K1 visas since you only have a year to import the car after you enter and you can't work or travel without EAD/AP which is taking about 6 months.  BUT it's doable if you're quick about getting married and filing AOS

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Both @canadagirl89 and @NikLR for your prompt response.

Like @NikLR mentioned this would be more challenging for a K1 visa applicant which is my case due to timing., I will contact with Scotiabank again this week and see the options they give me. Another alternative I am thinking but have not done much research yet is talking to TD or RBC since they have a program called cross-border banking where they use your Canadian credit score to give credit cards and mortgages in the US. I will see whether they have any options for my case, so I refinance with them if that is the case. 

Thanks again for your support. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.