Darryl

Any news about DCF filers waiting for Montreal interview?

137 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about the new Adam Walsh laws and the delays they are causing for people who filed their petitions via DCF (at the consulate) and are waiting for their Montreal interview. Just want to see if anyone has heard of any progression....

Let us know if you're in the same boat!

Darryl

08/26/2006 Wedding in Canada

09/05/2006 Filed I-130 petition at Toronto US Embassy

09/05/2006 I-130 approved at Embassy

09/29/2006 Packet 3 arrived with official approval letter

10/13/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal via registered mail

10/17/2006 Montreal rec'd Packet 3

11/01/2006 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled Jan/Feb

01/10/2007 Called Montreal - said interview would be scheduled in Feb

02/06/2007 Called Montreal - were told communication was coming

02/10/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal re: Adam Walsh Act delays

03/13/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal saying we're clear from Adam Walsh and back on track

03/15/2007 Rec'd email from Montreal saying interview would be scheduled in next 4-12 weeks

Unknown Finally had interview in Montreal - passed!

Unknown Got green card in the mail

unknown Applied for & rec'd SSN

08/20/2007 Moved to the USA

03/01/2009 Starting sending in my I-751 removal of green card conditions

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about the new Adam Walsh laws and the delays they are causing for people who filed their petitions via DCF (at the consulate) and are waiting for their Montreal interview. Just want to see if anyone has heard of any progression....

Darryl

hi darryl

i'm in the same boat as you and received the same letter from montreal as you. i sent all my info (DS-230, affidavit of support, etc) to the montreal consulate at the end of september 2006. our petition was originally approved in mid-August 2006. i was hoping to receive my interview notice soon up until the new Adam Walsh legislatiion.

i have since spoken to an immigration attorney and he told me that all we can do now is wait. if we were to resend a new I-130 to vermont, it would certainly take a long time (vermont is REALLY slow). i plan on re-contacting the montreal consulate soon to find out any new developments. if montreal has to send the previously approved petitions to vermont, this will certainly delay the whole process.......

i have been following this board like yourself over the past couple of weeks. i am hoping that our situtaion will be similar to the experiences of the people in chile and europe. it appears that there I-130's were re-approved rather quickly by the USCIS offices in peru, paris, or london. i am surprised that montreal does not have a USCIS office.......

i will post an update as soon as i find out any new information. likewise, i would really appreciate to hear the same from your end of things. we are all waiting, but montreal seems to be in the dark with the whole situation. hopefully something will be found out soon, so we can carry on with our lives.

PS. i tried contacting my wife's congressmen and senators in texas, and they were absolutely usless with the matter. USA immigration doesn't seem to fathom or care about the impact of new legislations and delays in immigration on the thousands of people affected. frustrating to say the least!!

cheers,

matt

I too am in the same boat. Filed I-130 in Calgary in September and have been waiting for an interview for my husband. I haven't even received a letter from Montreal saying anything has happened. I e-mailed them and got we have no instructions as of yet and sorry for the inconvience. Hopefully one of us will hear something soon.

03/29/2003 Our wedding in Canada

04/30/2004 I became a Permanant Resident of Canada!

IR-1/DCF

09/19/2006 Filed I-130

09/19/2006 I-130 approved!

10/05/2006 Packet 3 arrived with approval letter.

10/19/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

10/20/2006 Montreal receives Packet 3

01/23/2007 Everything currently on hold due to Adam Walsh Act :(

03/14/2007 E-mail from Montreal saying i'm clear from USCIS on Adam Walsh Act

03/22/2007 Got e-mail from Montreal that interview is May 22nd!

05/15/2007 Finally received interview letter

05/22/2007 Approved!!!!

05/28/2007 Visa arrived!!!

05/31/2007 Big move to the US

06/12/2007 SSN arrived

06/22/2007 Welcome letter arrived

06/28/2007 10 year Green Card arrived!!!

N-400

05/31/2010 Eligible to apply for citizenship

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hi guys,

our petition was approved on Jan.11th,and now it has to be re-approved,they said they are going to send it to Vienna(our local office)-but the official word about this happening came a week later than the ones in south America and Paris.We kept on ringing the Consul Section but all they said was that they had no new instructions,and then all of a sudden,late Friday evening they put a notice on their web site that they will process all these cases.So I guess the news should be coming soon to you!Maybe this Friday... :innocent:

As far as I know the petitions will be re-approved at the local CIS office-if the one for Canada is Vermont,then they will be sent there,but even then the re-approval will take much less than filing a new one!

I also feel like they have been instructed to give no information about how long time it's gonna take,so all we should do is just wait.

It's not so bad-I feel we are close to it! :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Hello all,

Darryl

hi darryl

i'm in the same boat as you and received the same letter from montreal as you. i sent all my info (DS-230, affidavit of support, etc) to the montreal consulate at the end of september 2006. our petition was originally approved in mid-August 2006. i was hoping to receive my interview notice soon up until the new Adam Walsh legislatiion.

i have since spoken to an immigration attorney and he told me that all we can do now is wait. if we were to resend a new I-130 to vermont, it would certainly take a long time (vermont is REALLY slow). i plan on re-contacting the montreal consulate soon to find out any new developments. if montreal has to send the previously approved petitions to vermont, this will certainly delay the whole process.......

i have been following this board like yourself over the past couple of weeks. i am hoping that our situtaion will be similar to the experiences of the people in chile and europe. it appears that there I-130's were re-approved rather quickly by the USCIS offices in peru, paris, or london. i am surprised that montreal does not have a USCIS office.......

i will post an update as soon as i find out any new information. likewise, i would really appreciate to hear the same from your end of things. we are all waiting, but montreal seems to be in the dark with the whole situation. hopefully something will be found out soon, so we can carry on with our lives.

PS. i tried contacting my wife's congressmen and senators in texas, and they were absolutely usless with the matter. USA immigration doesn't seem to fathom or care about the impact of new legislations and delays in immigration on the thousands of people affected. frustrating to say the least!!

cheers,

matt

Hi Matt

I just wanna make a small correction. USCIS has not re-approved any I-130s as of yet. At least not for both Sweden and Denmark who they are also responsible for. None of these embassies have even heard anything from London. Personally our I-130 was approved on Jan 5th in Denmark and sent for re-approval Feb 1st. But so far no word from anybody and London doesn't seem all that interested in writing you back when you contact them. Like I said, just a small correction. Anyway I hope things will work out for you soon. We all know what you're going through.

Tine

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Timeline

Well at least we're all in a similar situation and hopefully wil be out of this jam soon! I had some time yesterday so I decided to do some investigating...not the result I was hoping for...

I called the National Visa Center (NVC) - a 30 minute call for a 4 minute conversation...They have no record of our petition - I gave her my case # and she said it wasn't in their system. She said it's likely still with the Embassy and that she couldn't do much to trace it. Perfect.

Through previous correspondence with Montreal I know that they have our petition and it's not 'lost' so to speak...so I kept trying to see if it has been processed anywhere else

I called USCIS - it's great that they don't have a Canadian office and the only phone number I could find isn't available from Canada. So with the great advice of someone off this board I downloaded and installed Skype...worked like a charm (thanks!). My call success was not so great through. The first person I spoke to was very nice but had no record of our case #. She kept asking for an 'application receipt #' which to the best of our knowledge...we don't have. Does anyone else know about this application receipt #? Anyways, as I was chatting with her I explained my situation and read her the letter about the Adam Walsh act...yeah - she'd never heard anything about any of it. Again - very nice lady and not trying to ditch me, but had genuinely not heard of this huge new shakeup and the new processing procedures/influx of petitions they 'should' be receiving...nothing. So not a good sign when they have no clue that any of this is taking place. But anyways we had a nice clear (remember this for later) friendly conversation. She escalated my call to a supervisor (without me even asking) so they could check into my status and where my file might be.

I waited on hold ofr 35 minutes and finally got through to the next person...not so friendly. He kept asking me the same stupid questions over and over again and than claim that he couldn't hear me and I needed to call back...I kept telling him that if we have a bad connection (sounded perfect from my end) that I was sorry and would repeat anything he couldn't hear properly but I didn't want to have to call back and wait on hold for another 35 minutes...he complained constantly about the connection but could hear me perfectly fine when we had normal dialogue...but when he needed the answer to any question all of a sudden he couldn't hear. I was getting extremely frustrated to say the least. After about 6 minutes talking to this guy I hadn't even given him my case #...all he did was argue about the reception...drove me bonkers. Finally he says "I can't deal with this reception - have I answered all of your questions today?" I replied "no you haven't answered any of them and I'm not done" ....he hung up. I love the exceptional customer service!

So anyways, the petitions from Montreal have no tbeen sent anywhere to the best of my knowledge - or if they have, they haven't been touched.

I am going to call Montreal next week and try to see if they've heard any more news. I'll keep posting to this thread and let you all know what I find out. Hopefully we can isolate this thread to Montreal or at least Canada DCF filers waiting for the interview and we can all keep it updated.

Good luck to you all, I hope things start moving!

Darryl

03/13/2007 Rec'd letter from Montreal saying we're clear from Adam Walsh and back on track

03/15/2007 Rec'd email from Montreal saying interview would be scheduled in next 4-12 weeks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
Well at least we're all in a similar situation and hopefully wil be out of this jam soon! I had some time yesterday so I decided to do some investigating...not the result I was hoping for...

I called the National Visa Center (NVC) - a 30 minute call for a 4 minute conversation...They have no record of our petition - I gave her my case # and she said it wasn't in their system. She said it's likely still with the Embassy and that she couldn't do much to trace it. Perfect.

Through previous correspondence with Montreal I know that they have our petition and it's not 'lost' so to speak...so I kept trying to see if it has been processed anywhere else

I called USCIS - it's great that they don't have a Canadian office and the only phone number I could find isn't available from Canada. So with the great advice of someone off this board I downloaded and installed Skype...worked like a charm (thanks!). My call success was not so great through. The first person I spoke to was very nice but had no record of our case #. She kept asking for an 'application receipt #' which to the best of our knowledge...we don't have. Does anyone else know about this application receipt #? Anyways, as I was chatting with her I explained my situation and read her the letter about the Adam Walsh act...yeah - she'd never heard anything about any of it. Again - very nice lady and not trying to ditch me, but had genuinely not heard of this huge new shakeup and the new processing procedures/influx of petitions they 'should' be receiving...nothing. So not a good sign when they have no clue that any of this is taking place. But anyways we had a nice clear (remember this for later) friendly conversation. She escalated my call to a supervisor (without me even asking) so they could check into my status and where my file might be.

I waited on hold ofr 35 minutes and finally got through to the next person...not so friendly. He kept asking me the same stupid questions over and over again and than claim that he couldn't hear me and I needed to call back...I kept telling him that if we have a bad connection (sounded perfect from my end) that I was sorry and would repeat anything he couldn't hear properly but I didn't want to have to call back and wait on hold for another 35 minutes...he complained constantly about the connection but could hear me perfectly fine when we had normal dialogue...but when he needed the answer to any question all of a sudden he couldn't hear. I was getting extremely frustrated to say the least. After about 6 minutes talking to this guy I hadn't even given him my case #...all he did was argue about the reception...drove me bonkers. Finally he says "I can't deal with this reception - have I answered all of your questions today?" I replied "no you haven't answered any of them and I'm not done" ....he hung up. I love the exceptional customer service!

So anyways, the petitions from Montreal have no tbeen sent anywhere to the best of my knowledge - or if they have, they haven't been touched.

I am going to call Montreal next week and try to see if they've heard any more news. I'll keep posting to this thread and let you all know what I find out. Hopefully we can isolate this thread to Montreal or at least Canada DCF filers waiting for the interview and we can all keep it updated.

Good luck to you all, I hope things start moving!

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I know we filed in Europe but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. About 1½ week ago we also tried calling USCIS in the US: They also kept asking for an application receipt number. But since we filed through DCF and getting our petion approved right on the spot (before Adam Walsh) we never received one. Which the lady claimed was not possible. And like everyone else in the US she had heard nothing about the Adam Walsh Act and told us to give USCIS in London a month to send us an application receipt number. We tried explaining to her that the embassy had told us USCIS London would just send it directly back to them. But she wouldn't hear it. It was clear she didn't know anything about anything so in the end it was just hopeless trying to talk to them. Like when we called DHS asking about the visa waiver program....they claimed EVERYONE needs a visa from the embassy to go to the US. The US embassy in Copenhagen says no. They won't give me a visa because I don't need one since Denmark is under the visa waiver program. So in the end....what can we do?

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Darryl

Hi, Darryl - I don't want to derail this topic, nor do I want to defend USCIS customer service in the States, but I've been using Skype for awhile now; one thing it does tend to do is sometimes give a connection to one side but not another - it will be just fine for part of a call and then suddenly one person can't hear the other well, or at all. That's just FYI: it sounds like you handled the situation just fine. Hope things work out for you soon!

9-12/2004 - met and fell in love in Bulgaria

2004 - 2006 - travel, travel, travel...

11/2006 - moved to Bulgaria

1/2007 - engaged

4/2007 - wedding

DCF for CR-1 Visa BEGINS:

5/16/2007 - I-130 filed at Sofia, Bulgaria embassy

Timeline

The Roboinsons - Sorry to hear you had the same experience. I find it very disturbing and odd that these two services that seemingly work hand in hand have no clue of whats going on with their counterparts. The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing...not a good situation. I am going to call Montreal in the next few days (maybe March 1st) and see if they have any news. I'll let you know if they don/don't!

Malka - Thanks for the info on Skype - I'll keep that in mind next time I use it- this was my first experience. I really don't think the reception was an issue in this case I just think this guy was a jerk and didn't want to be bothered by my call and in turn used the reception as an exit strategy. When we argued back and forth about the reception and had conversational type dialogue he could hear me fine, didn't ask me to repeat anything etc...he was quite content to argue with me in perfect communication - but when I asked him to start looking into anything --the reception was just too terrible. It was complete BS. I wish I had a job that would allow me to completely disregard the customer and be as rude as I felt like...all the while - never actually assist the person or even attempt to help (but of course make them wait on hold for 30+ minutes to get htis exceptional service). Its almost like they treat the callers as if we're the problem...guess what guys, we wouldn't be calling if there was some form of communication and precise timelines etc from their end. The only time I have to call and bug the pizza guy after I order it is when they don't show up to deliver it in a reasonable amount of time...this is no different.

arrrgghh so frustrated!

Darryl

Timeline

Edited by Darryl

Timeline

Hi Matt

I just wanna make a small correction. USCIS has not re-approved any I-130s as of yet. At least not for both Sweden and Denmark who they are also responsible for. None of these embassies have even heard anything from London. Personally our I-130 was approved on Jan 5th in Denmark and sent for re-approval Feb 1st. But so far no word from anybody and London doesn't seem all that interested in writing you back when you contact them. Like I said, just a small correction. Anyway I hope things will work out for you soon. We all know what you're going through.

Tine

Hi Tine

i have been following several threads and came across this one:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54941

it seems like applicants in paris have been lucky and have already been rescheduled for their interview appointments. i guess their petitions were sent to Rome for re-adjudication. at this point in time, i already know there is a delay in my application, i (along with everybody else filed in montreal) want to know how long the delay will be, and what has been done thus far. have our petitions or entire application been sent to vermont??? people on the phone in montreal have not been very helpful thus far.

your petition from what i gather has been sent to london and i apologize, i guess you're in the same boat as us. but at least you know where your petition is. i think it's absolutely ridiculous that montreal can not and have not provided any further information to the number of us (filed after 7/26/06 but before 1/23/07) left in limbo and out of the loop!

cheers,

matt

I emailed Montreal today and this is what i got back

All of our cases that are affected by this new law are currently being processed by the USCIS, as soon as all is clear, we will then be able to book an interview for your husband. Unfortunately, we have no idea how long this will take.

Thank you for your understanding.

Don't know if this is good or bad but it sounds like to me that they have been sent to USCIS but then who knows

03/29/2003 Our wedding in Canada

04/30/2004 I became a Permanant Resident of Canada!

IR-1/DCF

09/19/2006 Filed I-130

09/19/2006 I-130 approved!

10/05/2006 Packet 3 arrived with approval letter.

10/19/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

10/20/2006 Montreal receives Packet 3

01/23/2007 Everything currently on hold due to Adam Walsh Act :(

03/14/2007 E-mail from Montreal saying i'm clear from USCIS on Adam Walsh Act

03/22/2007 Got e-mail from Montreal that interview is May 22nd!

05/15/2007 Finally received interview letter

05/22/2007 Approved!!!!

05/28/2007 Visa arrived!!!

05/31/2007 Big move to the US

06/12/2007 SSN arrived

06/22/2007 Welcome letter arrived

06/28/2007 10 year Green Card arrived!!!

N-400

05/31/2010 Eligible to apply for citizenship

Timeline

Tracy - thanks for the update - although no real details were given - at least they acknowledged the situation and have sent the petitions to USCIS...thats definetly a good thing. Nice to hear that they aren't just sitting on them waiting for instructions!

Darryl

Timeline
Tracy - thanks for the update - although no real details were given - at least they acknowledged the situation and have sent the petitions to USCIS...thats definetly a good thing. Nice to hear that they aren't just sitting on them waiting for instructions!

Darryl

thanks for the update tracy.... that is more helpful than any information i have been able to get out of montreal over the phone. i guess our fates are in the hands of USCIS vermont which from what i've read on this forum is notoriously slow. i guess we'll just all have to sit back and wait.

cheers,

matt

Timeline

Hey all,

When we got the notice from montreal, we were at the stage of gathering everything for that checklist. In the next couple of weeks we will have it all. We're just waiting for his passport to come in. Do you guys think we should send the checklist back to them to wait for the next steps? Another thing that is bad is that I'm using a co-sponsor and her form is only good for 6 months.

October 1 2004 Married in Dallas, TX

February 2005 Moved to British Columbia, Canada

June 2006 Sent off Application for my Canadian Permanent Residence

October 13, 2006 DCF - Took I-130 to US Consulate in Vancouver

October 17, 2006 DCF - Returned to US Consulate in Vancouver - I-130 approved!

October 30, 2006 DCF - Receieved Packet!

November 06, 2006 DCF - Mailed Part 1 of packet to Montreal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.