elgringo954

Waiting on AOS and then retiring with spouse to Panama

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

It seems like everything has been falling into a timeline and given the estimate of receiving my wife's green card in November 2015 we're moving to Panama and I'm retiring there taking up residency with her. My question is this; every how often shall we travel back to the U.S. to not jeopardize her green card and eventually her U.S. Citizenship. Let's just say that I had to follow all the rules starting with the Fiance Visa for us to stay together up until my planned retirement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If she is moving to Panama Then GC is moot. LPR = Legal Permanent Resident of the US, not Panama.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

She has to prove she is living in the US. She cannot live abroad and visit the US periodically without jeopardizing her green card.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Timeline

So even if we maintain a bank account, local address and travel periodically that's not going to cut it?? I'm guessing that CBP may bring it to out attention upon entry? Possible solution for re entry later would be to obtain a Tourist Visa after it becomes a problem?

She has to be physically present in the US more days than she is not each year (even cutting it close may cause problems).

If she abandons her green card, then yes, she would need a tourist visa in the future to visit.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Tourist visa is an option. Alternatively, delay your plans to move- stay in the US three years, get her US citizenship, and you can travel and live wherever you want.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

ugh, yeah then guess that the Tourist Visa is the only option and I guess that the entire cost of the gc was what it cost to allow her to remain legally. Remaining another 3 years is most definitely out of the picture; retirements more important with a tourist visa option, lol

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.