AllenK

Can work? Cannot work?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

According to https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument, section C.1, it appears Natalia is temporarily authorized to work as a K-1 visa holder with a valid I-94, which she will have. This employment authorization is implicit without an Employment Authorization stamp. However, the same document, in section C.2, seems to say that Natalia does require a valid EAD if she is an applicant for adjustment of status. This is confusing to me. Does this mean that she can work on her K-1, but only until we make application for AOS? It seems so, but I want to get your opinion.

According to https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument, section C.1, it appears Natalia is temporarily as a K-1 visa holder with a valid I-94, which she will have. This employment authorization is implicit without an Employment Authorization stamp. However, the same document, in section C.2, seems to say that Natalia does require a valid EAD if she is an applicant for adjustment of status. This is confusing to me. Does this mean that she can work on her K-1, but only until we make application for AOS? It seems so, but I want to get your opinion.

She is authorized to work and she doesn't have to bring up "the 90 days limitation"

Read here "dr_Iha" posts http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=54269&hl=

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh lord, here we go again.

If she goes through JFK and asks for the temporary stamp, then for the first 90 days she can work. It would mean getting married immediately so you can file AOS. You cannot file EAD without first filing AOS and you can't file that til you are married. It takes about 90 days for an EAD to be approved which is why some get married immediately upon entry and IF they get the stamp at JFK. I do believe JFK is the only POE that gives out the temporary employment stamp too.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

The K1 is authorized to work. For comparison's sake, a tourist visa is NOT authorized to work.

BUT, in order to work, the K1 holder must have authorization to work to show an employer.

Unless you receive this temporary stamp in your I-94 at the POE, you have to apply for it after marriage and wait until you receive the card. Some employers might choose to hire you without the card - it's their risk.

Edited by kitkat1

Filed: Other Timeline
According to https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/36f...b4?OpenDocument, section C.1, it appears Natalia is temporarily as a K-1 visa holder with a valid I-94, which she will have. This employment authorization is implicit without an Employment Authorization stamp. However, the same document, in section C.2, seems to say that Natalia does require a valid EAD if she is an applicant for adjustment of status. This is confusing to me. Does this mean that she can work on her K-1, but only until we make application for AOS? It seems so, but I want to get your opinion.

She is authorized to work and she doesn't have to bring up "the 90 days limitation"

Read here "dr_Iha" posts http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=54269&hl=

Read the whole thread. I believe we concluded that work authorization, not just the K1 visa itself, is necessary.

haha ....lets hope this thread dies a fast death.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
The K1 is authorized to work. For comparison's sake, a tourist visa is NOT authorized to work.

BUT, in order to work, the K1 holder must have authorization to work to show an employer.

Unless you receive this temporary stamp in your I-94 at the POE, you have to apply for it after marriage and wait until you receive the card. Some employers might choose to hire you without the card - it's their risk.

I agree totally. The only way you can work on a K1 without the EAD is if an employer is willing to ignor the I9 requirments, which many will not be willing to do. Best to just get the EAD, I just got mine and it feels good to get it let me tell you. :thumbs:

flag.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The only way you can work on a K1 without the EAD is if an employer is willing to ignor the I9 requirments,

Not the only way.. some K-1s get an employment authorization STAMP on the I-94 when they enter the US. This is a valid Employment Authorization Document (use on the I-9). the stamp is most commonly available at JFK airport, but some other airports occasionally kick down, and some of the northern land crossings.

If a K-1 applied for an EAD based on their K-1 status, it will probably not arrive in time for it to be of any use (EAD takes 90 days turnaround). That EAD will only be valid for the first 90 days after entry.

A K-1 can apply for a 'normal' EAD after marriage, as a part of her AOS application. That EAD is valid for one year.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
The only way you can work on a K1 without the EAD is if an employer is willing to ignor the I9 requirments,

Not the only way.. some K-1s get an employment authorization STAMP on the I-94 when they enter the US. This is a valid Employment Authorization Document (use on the I-9). the stamp is most commonly available at JFK airport, but some other airports occasionally kick down, and some of the northern land crossings.

If a K-1 applied for an EAD based on their K-1 status, it will probably not arrive in time for it to be of any use (EAD takes 90 days turnaround). That EAD will only be valid for the first 90 days after entry.

A K-1 can apply for a 'normal' EAD after marriage, as a part of her AOS application. That EAD is valid for one year.

Thats true, but the OP is talking about working without the Stamp. So I thought I would not worry about mentioning the stamp. Just for the record San Francisco international offered the stamp to me but I would have had to wait a while for it the guy said so I didnt take it.

flag.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.