DFWJimbo

Beginning the process

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm beginning the process of the I-129 (K1 fiancee visa) my fiancee is in the Philippines, I'm a US citizen here in the US. I got a book from Nolo and using the resources here to help make sure I have everything together and we're taking our time putting everything together so that we're not forgetting anything. Choosing to do this ourselves and not waste the extra money on an agency.

The short timeline: We have had an online relationship since March 2014, I met her face-to-face Feb 2015 and stayed for 2 weeks together (all days) at the hotel and have met the family and spent time with them.

My fiancee has a 5 year old daughter (not married) and her ex is in another relationship with children now.

The questions:

1) From what I'm reading here I will need to get her to obtain a letter from her ex that allows her to take her daughter with her to the US. Is there an example? When does this letter need to be submitted?

2) I'm seeing discussions about affidavits of support before she comes here (proof that I've been supporting her). Will emails from Western Union (receipts) be sufficient?

3) How much volume in chat records printed out will be recommended/required? I've got exports of viber records and screen shots showing phone calls in the Viber service that we also talk.

Thanks!

-Jim (and Florence)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If she has sole custody of the child, then I believe that is the only evidence she needs to submit for that aspect of the child receiving a K-2 visa. That will come later for the K-1/K-2 visa interview. For now, the child just needs to be listed on the I-129F petition.

The affidavit of support is not about showing you are supporting your fiance(e) currently. You will provide the I-134 and supporting evidence to prove you meet the income requirement so that the intending immigrant(s) will not become public charges once in the US. Emails from Western Union have nothing to do with providing the I-134, which also comes at the time of the K-1/K-2 visa interview.

Chat records are used for proving your relationship is real. For the I-129F petition, you need to supply proof of meeting in person within the 2 years prior to filing the petition. You need to show passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel/ATM receipts, bank/credit card statements that show purchases made in the other country during your visit, and other evidence along those lines. Provide a few photos together and with family and friends during those visits in person to back up the other evidence of meeting. If you still wish to provide chat logs with the petition, then just print a few that span the entire length of your relationship to represent your communications.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

If she has sole custody of the child, then I believe that is the only evidence she needs to submit for that aspect of the child receiving a K-2 visa. That will come later for the K-1/K-2 visa interview. For now, the child just needs to be listed on the I-129F petition.

The affidavit of support is not about showing you are supporting your fiance(e) currently. You will provide the I-134 and supporting evidence to prove you meet the income requirement so that the intending immigrant(s) will not become public charges once in the US. Emails from Western Union have nothing to do with providing the I-134, which also comes at the time of the K-1/K-2 visa interview.

Chat records are used for proving your relationship is real. For the I-129F petition, you need to supply proof of meeting in person within the 2 years prior to filing the petition. You need to show passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel/ATM receipts, bank/credit card statements that show purchases made in the other country during your visit, and other evidence along those lines. Provide a few photos together and with family and friends during those visits in person to back up the other evidence of meeting. If you still wish to provide chat logs with the petition, then just print a few that span the entire length of your relationship to represent your communications.

Thank you for your quick reply. She has sole custody of her daughter and her ex lives in another city now anyway.

I was trying to read the general examples in Nolo's book and checklists here, and it was a little unclear what the support proof entailed. There was mention that a letter from my employer on company letterhead going into my position/title, income, etc, should be sent. I can get that easily from my HR department as I have already discussed this with them. I am well above the minimum income requirements . I can provide bank statements displaying my direct deposits, etc, however VJ's checklist mentions something that the bank would have to provide that might take a few weeks? If my statements with deposits and copies of past tax returns are not enough evidence, what would I ask my bank for exactly?

I have the evidence examples you mentioned, travel proof, boarding passes, passport obviously, and I can pull my bank statements showing charges made during the trip. Meals and amenities were primarily at the hotel, the bill was not as detailed as what we have here in the US, but it would be enough to prove I was there for a couple of weeks (14-15 days). I saved all receipts, even during my layover in Incheon, KR.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.