Michael2017

Outdated Police Certificate

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

I was travelling due to my job a lot and worked in several foreign countries. E.g. I obtained a Police Certificate for my stay in Hungary and have not resided in Hungary anymore for several years. The PC is older than 1 year now, but as I have not life anymore in Hungary after the date of issue of the PC I had no chance to acquire any new charges that are not listed in the old certificate. Will in such case an outdated PC accepted?

Furthermore, when is the 1 year validity counted? When filing the I-130 at the USA and subsequent

USCIS document submission, or do I need to present the PC only at the day of the interview?

If I have to submit it before the Interview at the Embassy, what if it is valid at the date of submission

to USCIS but older than 1 year at the date of interview? What counts here?

Thanks a lot!

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

From my experience you won't need a new PC. I lived in one other country which was listed on my DS260 and have not lived there since 2008, my interview was this year and by the time of my interview my PC previously provided was over a year old and was not asked to submit a new one at interview.

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

Timeline

Thanks Tracy. Some people have posted their interview invitation letter here and it says that you should bring police certificates not older than 1 year old to the Embassy. But that would only make sense if you continued to live in that specific country. So your answer is very helpful that they see the thing the same logic way.

Thanks Tracy. Some people have posted their interview invitation letter here and it says that you should bring police certificates not older than 1 year old to the Embassy. But that would only make sense if you continued to live in that specific country. So your answer is very helpful that they see the thing the same logic way.

Hi

It would not be a wise decision to not take an updated Police Clearance Certificate (PCC). I know someone who provided an outdated PCC and was then requested to provide an updated PCC. This would obviously cause unnecessary delays.

Unless specifically mentioned, PCC's are usually valid for a year. Your PCC should be valid when you submit your documents to NVC up until the time of your interview.

You would need PCC's from all the countries where you have resided for more than 6 months.

You can get your PCC by following the instructions on the below link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/europe/hungary.asp

It would also be good to request two original copies of the PCC so that you can submit one original to NVC and keep the other copy as a backup. Hope this helps.

Edited by svb

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

I just checked my P4 letter which states:

Applicants may need to bring an additional police certificate to the interview. If the following three

items are all true, the applicant needs to bring an updated police certificate to the interview:

? He or she is more than 16 years old;

? He or she obtained a police certificate more than one year ago; and

? He or she still lives in the country that issued the police certificate.

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

Timeline

Thanks everyone. The 3 conditions of Tracy are very important as one is that you still life there! Is this letter from NVC or the Embassy. It could be that each Embassy has different rules but sure NVC would apply the same rules to everyone.

Re: SVB - thanks for the helpful link. Getting one is connected with some kind of efforts that everyone would rather like to avoid if it was not necessary!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.