mwills

Away from the USA (with US Citzn wife) for a year

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey Visa Journeyers (sorry about the lengthy explanation here),

Moved to the US and married by US citizen fiancee on K1 visa back in Nov 2013. Received my 2 year GC on 6/4/14... All went smoothly.

Since then, my US citizen friend and I have started a company, with him moving out the India to continue to build it, while I have stayed here in the States, working full time and helping to run the company on this side (US based private company).

However, it now makes monetary sense for me to head out to India (for around a year) to commit to building this company. This idea wouldn't have gone ahead if my wife wasn't in on the idea, she wants to go to design school while we're out there.

We would plan to leave the States in around Dec this year and be back Dec '16. I obviously need to submit my I-751 between mid march 2016 and 6/4/16... when we plan to be out the country.

Does anyone know if there is a way to delay the removal of conditions from my GC? I also read online that I can apply for some sort of extended travel/leave from the states to ensure that I am able to get back into the states on my return.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I agree it's not the greatest timing in the world, and yes we could put off the move 6 months but these 70-80 hours weeks are slowly killing me :-)

Thank you!

Any re-entry permit obtained by a CPR will only be valid until the expiry date of the conditional green card, not for two years.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hey Visa Journeyers (sorry about the lengthy explanation here),

Moved to the US and married by US citizen fiancee on K1 visa back in Nov 2013. Received my 2 year GC on 6/4/14... All went smoothly.

Since then, my US citizen friend and I have started a company, with him moving out the India to continue to build it, while I have stayed here in the States, working full time and helping to run the company on this side (US based private company).

However, it now makes monetary sense for me to head out to India (for around a year) to commit to building this company. This idea wouldn't have gone ahead if my wife wasn't in on the idea, she wants to go to design school while we're out there.

We would plan to leave the States in around Dec this year and be back Dec '16. I obviously need to submit my I-751 between mid march 2016 and 6/4/16... when we plan to be out the country.

Does anyone know if there is a way to delay the removal of conditions from my GC? I also read online that I can apply for some sort of extended travel/leave from the states to ensure that I am able to get back into the states on my return.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I agree it's not the greatest timing in the world, and yes we could put off the move 6 months but these 70-80 hours weeks are slowly killing me :-)

Thank you!

You can apply for ROC while you are overseas, we did it. You have to return for biometrics which is about a month to six weeks after you send your application in. No choice there.

You can re-enter without question inside of 6 months and they hassle you a little bit if you have been out of country for longer than 6 months but they will usually let you in. I believe I would suggest you file mid-march and plan to be back in the US around mid to end of April. You won't trigger any interest on a trip like that.

When you submit your application your receipt notice allows you an automatic 1-yr extension on your green card. You can fly back and forth on that extension. Don't lose it.

Make sure you have a rock solid address in the US. Address, vehicle, utility bills, bank account, credit cards, everything and keep it current. You don't want the slightest sniff of an impression that you are on anything but a temporary overseas adventure.

Your extended leave is called a travel document. There is no point applying for a travel document, which expires when the green card expires, on a conditional card.

Timeline

You can re-enter without question inside of 6 months and they hassle you a little bit if you have been out of country for longer than 6 months BUT LESS THAN A YEAR but they will usually let you in.

Minor clarification. Good luck

Finally somebody agrees with me.

I tried to say the same in other threads, and always got people to say you will loose residency if you work outside USA.

Everything you said makes sense and happened with me exactly.

You can apply for ROC while you are overseas, we did it. You have to return for biometrics which is about a month to six weeks after you send your application in. No choice there.

You can re-enter without question inside of 6 months and they hassle you a little bit if you have been out of country for longer than 6 months but they will usually let you in. I believe I would suggest you file mid-march and plan to be back in the US around mid to end of April. You won't trigger any interest on a trip like that.

When you submit your application your receipt notice allows you an automatic 1-yr extension on your green card. You can fly back and forth on that extension. Don't lose it.

Make sure you have a rock solid address in the US. Address, vehicle, utility bills, bank account, credit cards, everything and keep it current. You don't want the slightest sniff of an impression that you are on anything but a temporary overseas adventure.

Your extended leave is called a travel document. There is no point applying for a travel document, which expires when the green card expires, on a conditional card.

Timeline

Finally somebody agrees with me.

I tried to say the same in other threads, and always got people to say you will loose residency if you work outside USA.

Everything you said makes sense and happened with me exactly.

There is a high percentage of inaccurate advice spread around these pages. That's unfortunate, because the purpose of this forum is to apply actual (and successful) experience in answering questions.

Edited by Expat1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.