1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

So, since I became a U.S citizen last Friday, and I already have travel plans for June 29, I had to get an expedted passport.

Luckily, I live close to one of the 28 (or so) cities in the U.S. that have a Passport facility that one can visit in person to get a passport fast.

Last week I called and scheduled an appointment, (you need to have proof of travel withing 14 days to be able to get an expedited passport) and I was hoping they would have a time available already on Monday this week but the earliest time I could get was today.

At first I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get my passport in time for my trip, however, I had nothing to worry about.

I got there this morning. I was early, had my appointment at 9am but were there before 8am (wanted to avoid LA traffic).

I had to wait outdoor or in a Cafeteria until it was my time and then I was let in to the Federal building.

I had my Naturalization certificate, My Driver License, Proof of Travel and the Passport application form with me.

There were probably 200 people in the waiting area. I had to sit and wait for about 75 minutes before it was my turn.

The Officer took my aplication, looked that everything was in order, and said I could pick it up by will call tomorrow Thursday afternoon.

Happy to hear that!

So, to every one of you, There is no need to worry if you are out last minute and need to renew or apply for passport if you have a Passport facility at driving distance.

I heard that they are accomodating all expedited requests to the best of their ability, and prioritizing the applications based on your date of travel.

I even heard that people could apply and pick up their passport the same day (around 3pm) if they have a flight in the evening. Even if you don't have an appointment, they have a "walk in" line for people as well. Be sure to be there before 7am when they open, and expect to spend a few hours in line, but they will most likely be able to accomodate your needs.

This is just my experienece. Just wanted to share.

I will pick up my passport tomorrow afternoon and then on Monday I will be out of the country. :)

Edited by sunnylife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.