7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Visa Journeyer's!

So after I get married my fiancé and I will be staying with our mutual friend as we plan to move out of state in the coming new year. We can easily bring in joint phone bills, bank statements etc. but what about a joint lease? neither of us have a lease in are names. Can we supply a letter from our friend that we are staying with stating we are living with her until we get a place of our own? Is it even mandatory if we have other proof? I don't need anymore complications to run into when I get to the U.S. Answers would be great thanks!

If you adjust quickly after you marry on the K-1, you don't really need any additional evidence (as you proved all of that with the K-1). Send your marriage certificate and some pictures from the wedding (I'm not sure we even did that). They know you just moved since you did the K-1, so the burden of proof for AOS is pretty low.

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Timeline

Oh okay well we plan to get married within the same month I arrive (July) so I'll make sure to get everything in quickly for AOS. Thanks Sarah for the prompt response. I was getting nervous, this process has been so long and over drawn out.

If you adjust quickly after you marry on the K-1, you don't really need any additional evidence (as you proved all of that with the K-1). Send your marriage certificate and some pictures from the wedding (I'm not sure we even did that). They know you just moved since you did the K-1, so the burden of proof for AOS is pretty low.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you have an interview, then yes, you can bring a letter from the friend you live with stating the two of you live together as a married couple in their home.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Oh okay I see. You say "if we have an interview"? Do many couples don't get interviewed? I'm confused. So we submit are AOS package and you're saying we may or may not get an interview? Is it at random or is it if they speculate something with the marriage?

If you have an interview, then yes, you can bring a letter from the friend you live with stating the two of you live together as a married couple in their home.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello, You don't need any proofs for the AOS through the K-1 as long as you have to get married within 90 days, and send the AOS right after that. You will need the marriage certificate, taxes from your sponsor and stuff like that...I ve sent mine 15 months ago and still waiting, I received a letter of potential interview waiver on june 2014, these cases take a while to get approved, and the big joke is that I just received an RFE recently for a new medical exam, the K-1 med exam expires after 1 year (New law) lol ! So go ahead and send your AOS asap ! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Oh okay I see. You say "if we have an interview"? Do many couples don't get interviewed? I'm confused. So we submit are AOS package and you're saying we may or may not get an interview? Is it at random or is it if they speculate something with the marriage?

It is about a 50/50 chance of not interviewing when adjusting from a K-1. Seems to be fairly random. Those waiting for approval without interview are typically having to wait months longer than those getting interviewed though.

You do not need to send evidence of marriage, other than a copy of marriage certificate, with your initial AOS filing. If you have an interview, that is when you should bring proof of co-mingling finances and co-habitation.

Hello, You don't need any proofs for the AOS through the K-1 as long as you have to get married within 90 days, and send the AOS right after that. You will need the marriage certificate, taxes from your sponsor and stuff like that...I ve sent mine 15 months ago and still waiting, I received a letter of potential interview waiver on june 2014, these cases take a while to get approved, and the big joke is that I just received an RFE recently for a new medical exam, the K-1 med exam expires after 1 year (New law) lol ! So go ahead and send your AOS asap ! :)

Wow, that is too long to wait. Have you put in service requests? Contacted your congressperson or the USCIS ombudsman for help with your case?

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.