rjsantos

need help filing i-864 with household member.

7 posts in this topic

hi, visajourney fam,

i have a question regarding filing i-864. i didn’t meet the poverty % required by uscis so i asked my dad to joint sponsor my wife. We live in the same house so i know he needs to file i-864a…. But my issue is that my dad and my mom file joint tax, so my million $ question is does my mom needs to file i-864a too? this part is really confusing and we don’t wanna hire a lawyer because they try to milk on us first time around. thanks in advance.
Edited by rjsantos

Filed: Timeline

Um no..

You fill out the 864 as the primary sponsor- even if you dont make enough.

Your dad would fill out another 864 as a joint sponsor. (He needs his own stand alone 864 as a joint sponsor) IF his wife wants to use her income in addition to his on the joint form- SHE would fill out the 864a (as a person A-ttached to him get it?)

(the A doesnt stand for A-ttached lol- but it makes it easier to understand)

You cant attach a joint sponsor on to your form. They need their own.

Um no..

You fill out the 864 as the primary sponsor- even if you dont make enough.

Your dad would fill out another 864 as a joint sponsor. (He needs his own stand alone 864 as a joint sponsor) IF his wife wants to use her income in addition to his on the joint form- SHE would fill out the 864a (as a person A-ttached to him get it?)

(the A doesnt stand for A-ttached lol- but it makes it easier to understand)

You cant attach a joint sponsor on to your form. They need their own.

:thumbs: great answer.

OP you are misunderstanding I-864A seriously. Same household doesn't mean you can combine income necessarily.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Living together does not mean someone has to use the I-864A. If your father is going to be the joint sponsor, then he needs his own separate I-864 and will check 1d. in Part 1 as the only joint sponsor. You will check 1a on your I-864.

Since they file taxes jointly, your mother can fill out an I-864A to go along with your father's I-864. Their incomes will be combined on his I-864 to act as the joint sponsorship together. Be sure to read through both form instructions so you know what required supporting evidence you need to include for everyone.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Living together does not mean someone has to use the I-864A. If your father is going to be the joint sponsor, then he needs his own separate I-864 and will check 1d. in Part 1 as the only joint sponsor. You will check 1a on your I-864.

Since they file taxes jointly, your mother can fill out an I-864A to go along with your father's I-864. Their incomes will be combined on his I-864 to act as the joint sponsorship together. Be sure to read through both form instructions so you know what required supporting evidence you need to include for everyone.

my mom isn't a us citizen so she doesn't need to file i-864a? i'm really confuse so i'm trying to gather more info. so far you guys hepling me big time. thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

my mom isn't a us citizen so she doesn't need to file i-864a? i'm really confuse so i'm trying to gather more info. so far you guys hepling me big time. thanks.

No she doesn't have to, but she does not need to be a USC either.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.