mirrortraveler

Florida State ID Issuance Pending?

8 posts in this topic

Hi there, fellow VJ'ers!

So yesterday my husband and I went to the DMV to try and get my Florida State ID.

Since my I-94 has now expired, I used my recently issued EAD card and Social Security Card (both in my married name) to apply.

In terms of application, all went well. No problems whatsoever. But when the lady behind the counter (who was nice and knowledgeable and even got her supervisor to help her and double-check everything just in case) finalized my application, she said that she could not give me the State ID right away because according to their Central Issuance Office in Tallahassee, the issuance of my ID was still pending as they had to check back with US Immigrations. She said this was most likely because my AOS is still in process. When I asked her when I could expect my State ID, she said it could take up to 90 days.

She gave me the phone number of the Central Issuance office in Tallahassee and said I should try to contact USCIS too, just in case.

Now, first of all, is this normal? Is there anything that I can do at this point? Can I speed anything along or will I have to wait it out?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from AOS/Family-Based main forum to the "Moving to the US" forum, where similar matters are often discussed. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I know some people on here have problems being verified in SAVE database. I had no problems getting my learner droving licence with ssn and ead in my married name. My i-94 was long expired and in my maiden name too.

If you believe it can be save database issue you can try to contact them on

USCIS Verification Programs Contact Center: 1-888-464-4218

E-mail Address: SAVE.HELP@dhs.gov

Edited by agnesb

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

I tried calling the number. I get the message "to complete this call, you must enter or speak each number of the access code now". I have no idea what that means.

Sorry... i guess these contacts may be for gov agencies only rather than us poor aliens. :-(

It is not where I breathe but where I love that I live.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there, fellow VJ'ers!

So yesterday my husband and I went to the DMV to try and get my Florida State ID.

Since my I-94 has now expired, I used my recently issued EAD card and Social Security Card (both in my married name) to apply.

In terms of application, all went well. No problems whatsoever. But when the lady behind the counter (who was nice and knowledgeable and even got her supervisor to help her and double-check everything just in case) finalized my application, she said that she could not give me the State ID right away because according to their Central Issuance Office in Tallahassee, the issuance of my ID was still pending as they had to check back with US Immigrations. She said this was most likely because my AOS is still in process. When I asked her when I could expect my State ID, she said it could take up to 90 days.

She gave me the phone number of the Central Issuance office in Tallahassee and said I should try to contact USCIS too, just in case.

Now, first of all, is this normal? Is there anything that I can do at this point? Can I speed anything along or will I have to wait it out?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Hi there! I'm also from florida and just received my Ead last week. What requirements did you bring to DMV and how much for a state id?

The total fees I had to pay were $31.25. I brought my EAD card, two proofs of address (any letter from USCIS, the Social Security Administration, or your bank will do), and my Social Security card (in my married name). Just to be sure, I also brought a certified copy of our marriage certificate, but the people at the office didn't need it.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The total fees I had to pay were $31.25. I brought my EAD card, two proofs of address (any letter from USCIS, the Social Security Administration, or your bank will do), and my Social Security card (in my married name). Just to be sure, I also brought a certified copy of our marriage certificate, but the people at the office didn't need it.

Did you also get a learner's permit? In some states state Id Is for free. But not here in Florida. Too bad :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.