langdon.alan

How to go about getting a DCF from Brazil

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am a US Citizen living in Brasil as a Permanent Resident since 1983. I married in December 2013 here in Brazil with a Brazilian who had a Visa denied (tourist Visa) about a year or so before we got married.

Now we want to travel to the US, for her to meet my family, spend 2 months or so traveling there and then come back.

So initially she just needs a VISA to visit the US. But we are both also wondering if we might want to emigrate to the US in the near future, and perhaps this would affect how we should go about the process.

For the purpose of a visit only, what is the best route?

And if we wanted to move towards her getting US citizenship, or at least ability to live and work there, what would be the route?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am a US Citizen living in Brasil as a Permanent Resident since 1983. I married in December 2013 here in Brazil with a Brazilian who had a Visa denied (tourist Visa) about a year or so before we got married.

Now we want to travel to the US, for her to meet my family, spend 2 months or so traveling there and then come back.

So initially she just needs a VISA to visit the US. But we are both also wondering if we might want to emigrate to the US in the near future, and perhaps this would affect how we should go about the process.

For the purpose of a visit only, what is the best route?

And if we wanted to move towards her getting US citizenship, or at least ability to live and work there, what would be the route?

I suggest she applies for a tourist visa because her circumstances have changed a lot. These B 2 visas always come down to the same thing. Ties to the applicants country.

In this case it may be possible to overcome the problem of her ties to her husband. We were told during my 3 denials for a B 2 that my ties would be to my USC husband when we entered the USA therefore no visa. My husband had lived in Thailand for 2 years but on a tourist visa. Your many years there should indicate to them you both intend to go back to Brazil.

The application for a B 2 will have no impact on another visa petition by you for an immigration based visa. There is no reason to disclose such possible events as part of that.

I am not certain but I think you can file for a IR 1 using the DCF method where you file in country saving a lot of time. Look into U S domicile, support docs ect do help make decision.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello, Brazil doesn't have DCF anymore. You have to follow the long IR1 route

(in South America, if I'm not mistaken, only Peru does DCF).

In adition, with the IR1 visa in hand, she must move to the US in the following 6 months (6, right?), so you should petition her when you actually have the intent to imigrate. For visits, the B2 would certainly be the most appropriate.

Good luck!

USCIS:

2015/3/23: I-130 Sent: (Let's start the waiting game!)

2015/3/25: NOA1 Sent by email, case routed to the USCIS California Service Center (hardcopy 2015/6/4)

2015/4/21: NOA2 (email; got hardcopy in 2015/5/6)

NVC:

2015/5/21: Got NVC case # and IIN

2015/5/29: Filled DS261 online

2015/6/1: Payed AOS fee online

2015/6/5: Sent AOS and IV packages

2015/6/8: DS261 reviewed over the phone

2015/6/8: Scan Date

2015/7/5: Payed IV fee online

2015/7/8: Filled DS260

2015/7/23: Checklist!!

2015/7/25: Checklist Scan Date

2015/8/18: NVC CC

2015/9/11: Interview Scheduled for October 8th (no letter yet, just called NVC!)

2015/10/1: Medical

2015/10/8: Interview - Approved!!!

2015/10/30: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You seem to be confusing two separate issues.

If she wants to visit she needs to apply for a B2.

If she want to immigrates then that is a totally separate issue, as an aside does Brazil do DCF? I thought not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.