AubreyJ

Flights to Accra

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi all.. I know this topic has been covered, but I think it's been a while!!

My family is planning a trip to Ghana to meet my hubby's family this summer, and we're just looking into logistics right now. I'm checking out the prices on tickets, and I'm blown away! Last time I went payed around 1200, but now the cheapest tickets I see are double that!! I know gas prices have risen.. but....

It's particularly frustrating, because I know that the same tickets, physically purchased in Ghana, are about half the price! But no one's willing to wire money and go that route. However, there are going to be 9 of us, so I don't know if we would qualify for some kind of group rate either? Any one know of a good travel agent, website, or other that can get us a deal? Thanks!!!

Edited by AubreyJ

10-2004 Meet my one and only

05-05-06 Picked up the VISA

05-22-06 My baby's home! Once day short of a full year apart

08-14-06 Married!!!

02-24-07 Green Card in Hand

07-21-07 The REAL Wedding in Ghana

06-12-08 Our beautiful baby joins our lives :)

Filed: Timeline

When I flew to Accra, this past June, I flew with Martinair. I left from Orlando. I don't know which cities they leave from, I thought, I asked them before and they said only Orlando, but then again things can always change. I am not suprised the tickets are almost double the price you paid last time, but I just called Martinair and got a quote for May 25 to June 14 (I'm not leaving at that time of course, but just to see the price they'll give), he said 1289.36, I asked him if I were to change the date to April would it go up, he said it all depends on if the plane is getting close to having a flight of passengers, if it is, the price will go up.

I really had a good experience flying with them. Even if they don't leave from the city you live, maybe you can fly to where ever they leave, it still may be cheaper. 1-800MARTINAIR, press 1 and then the next will be 2. They'll refund your money up to 30 days before your flight, if you change your mind. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hi all.. I know this topic has been covered, but I think it's been a while!!

My family is planning a trip to Ghana to meet my hubby's family this summer, and we're just looking into logistics right now. I'm checking out the prices on tickets, and I'm blown away! Last time I went payed around 1200, but now the cheapest tickets I see are double that!! I know gas prices have risen.. but....

It's particularly frustrating, because I know that the same tickets, physically purchased in Ghana, are about half the price! But no one's willing to wire money and go that route. However, there are going to be 9 of us, so I don't know if we would qualify for some kind of group rate either? Any one know of a good travel agent, website, or other that can get us a deal? Thanks!!!

Do a lot more search on the flights. Delta is cheaper but the time also counts a lot.

Try North American Airlines. I haven't used them. A friend of ours going to Togo left yesterday out of BWI to Accra. (Accra isn't that far from Lome) I think she paid about $1000. Another friend is leaving this week to Lome through Accra via Amesterdam from Atlanta on Air France/KLM for $1000.

K-1 Journey

3/09/06 K-1 petition sent to Vermont

3/22/06 NOA1 received

4/17/06 NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/21/06 NVC received/ Sent to Paris

5/06 returned to NVC, je ne sais pas pour quoi

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

7/11/06 RFE received at VSC

8/18/06 NOA 2 Reapproved!!!!!!

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

11/29/06 Interview/ APPROVED!!!!!

12/05/06 US arrival JFK POE

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/20/07 SSN card received in mail

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/3/07 I-485 and I-765 sent

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/15/2007 EAD production of card

6/24/2007 EAD received

6/27/2007 AOS approved!!!!

7/2/2007 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/14/07 Baby Arrives 7:44pm

11/03/07 "It's a Family Affair" wedding

I-751

4/28/09 mailed to Vermont

5/11/09 receipt letter, I-751 received by VSC

6/12/09 biometrics Baltimore

8/4/09 approval letter

8/11/09 email, card will be sent within 30 days

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I haven't researched flights to Ghana-only to Nigeria. But www.bt-store.com seems to have competitive rates and you can choose from several different airlines. Good luck!!!!!!!

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Timeline

Long time AubreyJ!

Well it seems that the seasonal pricings are really playing out as far as ticket prices go right now. If you were traveling before May, costs to Accra from the east coast are running between 1100-1300. But once May hits, the price goes up exponentially...We (my family and I) flew on the new Delta direct flights in December and it was fine. I would recommend it. JFK to ACC in 9 1/2 hours. They are still working out the kinks and you probably won't depart on time.But it was so great getting on the plane in America and getting off and being there! Tickets were running around $1400-1500 on KLM, Lufthansa and BA and we got Delta for about $1150. Give them a check. Also try www.flycheapabroad.com, www.airfareplanet.com, www.farepath.com. Those, plus BT store are my primary sources for flight information. I am on the hunt for a ticket too since I will be going back to Ghana in May to spend time with the Ghana family...Finally got tired of waiting and got married in January. I thought I would regret it, but I can't complain. Going to try and follow up on a few leads. I might be relocating!! The embassy can't hold me back!!!! :) Let us know how the ticket search goes....

:mellow:

1/5/2007 WEDDING DAY. ACCRA GHANA.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Try North American Airlines. I haven't used them. A friend of ours going to Togo left yesterday out of BWI to Accra. (Accra isn't that far from Lome) I think she paid about $1000. Another friend is leaving this week to Lome through Accra via Amesterdam from Atlanta on Air France/KLM for $1000.

I am most likely going to go with North American Airlines the next time I go as they have direct flights to Nigeria from New York (of course I am transfering another location to go to New York). I think is a little better as it saves me from Going through Europe or London.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks everyone! I will check into all those sources! I think part of the expensive ticket is that we're on the West Coast, not East, and also, I think I figured out today why so many of the flights are already full when we're planning on going- Panafest starts just days later.. good timing right!! Arrgh.. We actually wouldn't mind spending a few days layover in Europe anyway.. so that wouldn't be too bad. Anyways, I'll let you know if I strike gold- thanks everyone!!

10-2004 Meet my one and only

05-05-06 Picked up the VISA

05-22-06 My baby's home! Once day short of a full year apart

08-14-06 Married!!!

02-24-07 Green Card in Hand

07-21-07 The REAL Wedding in Ghana

06-12-08 Our beautiful baby joins our lives :)

Timeline

I am most likely going to go with North American Airlines the next time I go as they have direct flights to Nigeria from New York (of course I am transfering another location to go to New York). I think is a little better as it saves me from Going through Europe or London.

My husband just bought a ticket from Accra to USA and it cost him $1200. If he had come back in October, they quoted him $1000. As was said, depends on the time of year and the airlines. I heard United Arab Emirates is nice to fly on and usually cheaper than KLM or British Airways. My Ghanaian friends do not like flying through London because they said they are always hassled when changing plans there.

You could try US Airways, they have direct flights to Accra from New York, but last time I checked they were expensive.

Good luck!

Sent I130 September 23, 2004

Approved January 5, 2005

Interview date July 21, 2005

Told to pick up visa October 2005, but no visa issued.

Case went missing for six months - from October 2005 through April 2006

Emailed Embassy constantly, sent letter directly to director of Embassy by fax and snail mail

Response received April 2006 from Director - full of inaccuracies, but placed my husband's name on list to enter Embassy.

Husband entered Embassy in late April - told case worker working on our case quit, they were short staffed so no one touched our case; told to return in July 2006 to pick up visa.

July 2006 - no visa issued still, told case went to US for secondary approval.

August 2006 - US said case was approved in January 2005 and they did not have it.

September, October, November and December 2006, Embassy kept insisting they did not have our case. I emailed EVERY day until finally, response said my husband was called on the phone to pick the visa up six months earlier. My husband has NEVER been called on the phone by the Embassy.

Told to come pick up visa January 19 - said the "Ghanaians who print the visas didn't print them"

Changed date on blue slip and told to come back. Finally received the visa February 2, 2007.

THANK GOD!

Arriving in USA very very soon and I can't wait!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't know too much about plane ticket prices, but I would guess that it would be around $1300. Try NAA and Delta as others mentioned for the direct flight. Also beware of all the celebrations going on in Accra this year! :)

All4Kweku - It's good to hear from you! I'm sorry the visa process is still not working out. If you do end up moving to Ghana, you'll love it! Let us know how everything works out for you!

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Long time AubreyJ!

Well it seems that the seasonal pricings are really playing out as far as ticket prices go right now. If you were traveling before May, costs to Accra from the east coast are running between 1100-1300. But once May hits, the price goes up exponentially...We (my family and I) flew on the new Delta direct flights in December and it was fine. I would recommend it. JFK to ACC in 9 1/2 hours. They are still working out the kinks and you probably won't depart on time.But it was so great getting on the plane in America and getting off and being there! Tickets were running around $1400-1500 on KLM, Lufthansa and BA and we got Delta for about $1150. Give them a check. Also try www.flycheapabroad.com, www.airfareplanet.com, www.farepath.com. Those, plus BT store are my primary sources for flight information. I am on the hunt for a ticket too since I will be going back to Ghana in May to spend time with the Ghana family...Finally got tired of waiting and got married in January. I thought I would regret it, but I can't complain. Going to try and follow up on a few leads. I might be relocating!! The embassy can't hold me back!!!! :) Let us know how the ticket search goes....

:mellow:

oh sorry I missed that part about you still waiting for your visas as well! Chin up, you are next, I KNOW it! I thought once Peggylibr's fiance got her visa that we had to be next. It took some time, but we got it! Email them every day I am totally serious! They get tired of having to research and respond! Best wishes!

I also use BT Store and have had great service with them.

Edited by ReggaeDancer2

Sent I130 September 23, 2004

Approved January 5, 2005

Interview date July 21, 2005

Told to pick up visa October 2005, but no visa issued.

Case went missing for six months - from October 2005 through April 2006

Emailed Embassy constantly, sent letter directly to director of Embassy by fax and snail mail

Response received April 2006 from Director - full of inaccuracies, but placed my husband's name on list to enter Embassy.

Husband entered Embassy in late April - told case worker working on our case quit, they were short staffed so no one touched our case; told to return in July 2006 to pick up visa.

July 2006 - no visa issued still, told case went to US for secondary approval.

August 2006 - US said case was approved in January 2005 and they did not have it.

September, October, November and December 2006, Embassy kept insisting they did not have our case. I emailed EVERY day until finally, response said my husband was called on the phone to pick the visa up six months earlier. My husband has NEVER been called on the phone by the Embassy.

Told to come pick up visa January 19 - said the "Ghanaians who print the visas didn't print them"

Changed date on blue slip and told to come back. Finally received the visa February 2, 2007.

THANK GOD!

Arriving in USA very very soon and I can't wait!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

check out Royal Air Maroc--i was a bit skeptical but i flew them from cameroon and thought it was fine. didn't have all the amenities of the european or american airlines (less movies and such), but i didn't think it was a problem. i also used flights.com to get tickets once and that was reasonable.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

During my trip to Liberia, I flew on the nonstop Delta flight from JFK to Accra. It was fine going there even though we left late, but coming back was a different story. The Delta airlines people in Ghana cancelled a flight the day before ours and decided to transfer those people onto ours and kick us off. There were about 30-40 Americans who had paid for their seat, including myself, and were kicked off because of "lack of space". People were screaming and crying and arguing with the staff. They were so rude to us and refused to even acknowledge our stories. We were told the next flight was leaving in 2 days but was full already. They insisted that WE pay $200 to get a seat, confirmed or standby, on any of the upcoming flights. To make a long story short, my mother had to call Delta on the American side and get my seat confirmed through our customer service. They told her they had never heard of a $200 fee and were going to be investigating it since they had been getting alot of complaints about the Delta on the Ghanaian side. Sorry to deviate from the topic, but I'm still a little bitter about the fact that they tried to bribe me, made my transit through Ghana into a 6 day nightmare, I got in trouble for overstaying my 48 hour visa, etc, etc. Overall, I had fun in Ghana with my friends, but I vowed to never fly on Delta through there again. Of course, this might not always happen...it could have been an isolated incident. Good luck on your ticket search!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.