BryterMoon

AOS Vaccinations, worries.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've completed my medical in London, and have my K1 interview in two weeks. For a few different reasons I couldn't get my vaccination records or shots in time for the medical (NHS losing records, and lack of local GP with needed shots). If I were to wait for the results to go along with the medical results it would have delayed things significantly, which I didn't want to happen. I saw it as id rather be in the US and get it sorted, than away from my fiance and child for longer. So I chose to have the vaccinations proof for a later date, with AOS.

I know it's going to be a pain, and that I will have to get a civil surgeon to sign me off with the AOS, which could be expensive. My worries are that if for some reason I have issues getting one, can't file for AOS, and go past the 90 day window, I'll be removed from the country?

I'm getting married in July, so that isn't a issue. It's just that im concerned that if I don't get things done in time I'll be removed.

Sorry if I don't make sense!

Thanks.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”― J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm not sure, but once you marry then the 90 day window no longer applies, and can't you start the AOS process even without having all the shots? Someone else needs to confirm, but I think as part of the AOS process you need to submit proof of vaccinations at some point, not necessarily at the initial filing. Maybe it's similar to the I-129F filing as when you start the process, it's only further down the line that you need to have the medical results incorporated.

I stress though, someone else needs to confirm whether you need the vaccination proof within the 90 day K1 window to start the AOS. I haven't got that far yet!

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Chas, isn't your exam in London tomorrow? That's when you'll get your vaccination proof to provide during AOS.

To my knowledge you don't have to apply for AOS straight away, though it's probably a good idea that you should - as you'll be out of status if you don't. You are unlikely to get in trouble, but it's a good idea to protect oneself. Afterall you can't work or visit people back home if you don't. No you won't be removed, unless you go wandering around near border patrol or something or do something illegal. It's expensive to file for AOS, so I'm sure a lot of people choose to wait a bit.

See the AOS guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

11. I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status.I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status. If you are a K-1, K-2, K-3 or K-4 visa holder the I-693 instructions state that you are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485 is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. If you are missing any shots from your overseas medical a I-693 vaccination transcription is required to be completed by seeing a Civil Surgeon to have certain portions of the I-693 completed and have the Civil Surgeon certify the form (sealing the original in an envelope and giving you a copy).

OP: that means, yes you'll need to seek out a civil surgeon in the US, have the vaccines and have them certify the form and give it to you. This you will have to send along in your AOS packet, as the instructions state. The process is expensive to see a civil surgeon in the US, so that is why most choose to go through the NHS or obtain the shots at Knightsbridge.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought you could get them done at the medical?

Have they stopped doing that?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Chas, isn't your exam in London tomorrow? That's when you'll get your vaccination proof to provide during AOS.

Yup, my medical is tomorrow afternoon!

I will be taking my proof of vaccinations along with me, and will make sure that these are all registered during the examination.

And yes, I will then have the vaccination proof for AOS. Though as mentioned I haven't got to the AOS stage so didn't know if you needed them to file for the AOS initially, or if they can be incorporated further along the AOS process. That I believe is the issue for BryterMoon, who wasn't able to get the vaccinations signed off at the medical.

I definitely agree with you that filing for AOS asap is a good idea :thumbs:

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Timeline

Thanks for the replies everyone, im worrying more than I should I know, I know its going to be fine.

I'm trying to make sense of the DS 3025 I was given, the a means not age appropriate, d means not routinely available, but those marked K1?

I've attached a picture of it.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks for the replies everyone, im worrying more than I should I know, I know its going to be fine.

I'm trying to make sense of the DS 3025 I was given, the a means not age appropriate, d means not routinely available, but those marked K1?

I've attached a picture of it.

Nich-Nick made a really handy post about that form recently. This might explain some of what you need to know. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/551080-immunizations-ds-3025-or-i-693/

Keep in mind if you are missing shots though, some of this won't apply to you because you'll need to seek out a civil surgeon stateside.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I've completed my medical in London, and have my K1 interview in two weeks. For a few different reasons I couldn't get my vaccination records or shots in time for the medical (NHS losing records, and lack of local GP with needed shots). If I were to wait for the results to go along with the medical results it would have delayed things significantly, which I didn't want to happen. I saw it as id rather be in the US and get it sorted, than away from my fiance and child for longer. So I chose to have the vaccinations proof for a later date, with AOS.

I know it's going to be a pain, and that I will have to get a civil surgeon to sign me off with the AOS, which could be expensive. My worries are that if for some reason I have issues getting one, can't file for AOS, and go past the 90 day window, I'll be removed from the country?

I'm getting married in July, so that isn't a issue. It's just that im concerned that if I don't get things done in time I'll be removed.

Sorry if I don't make sense!

Thanks.

You will not be removed. The requirement of your visa is to marry within 90 days. There is no deadline stated in the law that says you must adjust status before your 90 days run out. Obviously, the sooner you file the better, so you get in the queue for your work and travel permit.

**Note to those that have not been to the medical yet--

You can get your shot records well before your NOA2. Instead of fretting over USCIS, NVC, and CEAC, use some energy to sort your shots.

You can still get complete without your childhood records. Tdap and MMR this time of year.

You can get shots at Tesco, Boots, Sainsbury's type places, as well as at Knightsbridge.

**Comment concerning when to submit I-693 if you failed to get complete at Knightsbridge--

Read the USCIS instructions. The VJ guide quoted above may not be correct. Things change. Review the official source. http://www.uscis.gov/i-693. I quote--

If you are applying for adjustment of status, you may submit Form I-693 in one of the following ways:

(*) Submit Form I-693 by mail, together with your Form I-485, Application to Register for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to the location specified for your Form I-485 (see Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485).

(*) Submit Form I-693 by mail, after filing your Form I-485, to the location specified in your most recent communication with USCIS (for example, a Request for Evidence letter from USCIS).

(*) Submit Form I-693 in person, at an interview in a USCIS field office (if an interview is required).

And another source, the handbook your adjudicators reference. The link is provided on the USCIS page to USCIS Policy Manual Volume 8, Part B, Chapter 4. http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter4.html#S-C-4

Timing of the Submission of​ the Medical Examination Report​

​The medical examination report may be submitted to USCIS:​

(*) Concurrently with the immigration benefit application; or​

(*) At any time after filing the immigration benefit application but prior to the adjudication of that application;

if not filed concurrently with the immigration benefit application, USCIS encourages applicants to wait until USCIS requests the medical examination report before submitting it.​ [28]

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

You will not be removed. The requirement of your visa is to marry within 90 days. There is no deadline stated in the law that says you must adjust status before your 90 days run out. Obviously, the sooner you file the better, so you get in the queue for your work and travel permit.

**Note to those that have not been to the medical yet--

You can get your shot records well before your NOA2. Instead of fretting over USCIS, NVC, and CEAC, use some energy to sort your shots.

You can still get complete without your childhood records. Tdap and MMR this time of year.

You can get shots at Tesco, Boots, Sainsbury's type places, as well as at Knightsbridge.

**Comment concerning when to submit I-693 if you failed to get complete at Knightsbridge--

Read the USCIS instructions. The VJ guide quoted above may not be correct. Things change. Review the official source. http://www.uscis.gov/i-693. I quote--

If you are applying for adjustment of status, you may submit Form I-693 in one of the following ways:

(*) Submit Form I-693 by mail, together with your Form I-485, Application to Register for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to the location specified for your Form I-485 (see Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485).

(*) Submit Form I-693 by mail, after filing your Form I-485, to the location specified in your most recent communication with USCIS (for example, a Request for Evidence letter from USCIS).

(*) Submit Form I-693 in person, at an interview in a USCIS field office (if an interview is required).

And another source, the handbook your adjudicators reference. The link is provided on the USCIS page to USCIS Policy Manual Volume 8, Part B, Chapter 4. http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume8-PartB-Chapter4.html#S-C-4

Timing of the Submission of​ the Medical Examination Report​

​The medical examination report may be submitted to USCIS:​

(*) Concurrently with the immigration benefit application; or​

(*) At any time after filing the immigration benefit application but prior to the adjudication of that application;

if not filed concurrently with the immigration benefit application, USCIS encourages applicants to wait until USCIS requests the medical examination report before submitting it.​ [28]

Thanks, wondefully helpful as usual. Feel more content now, even found a local Civil Surgeon in Indiana, close to where i live that is known to be good with these things.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.