VOL

Driving in Philippines

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I drive a motorbike quit a bit there when visiting Philipppines, and I have been stopped by the guys who stand on the side of the road, Last time in Albay region it was a PNP officer. My motorbike had current tags, which I believe denotes your insurance is paid up do date, part of tag fees.

I have always told them I have a US Driver License and don't carry it on me due to I usually wear short,flops and t shirt when I ride. Last trip the PNP dude said I needed a Philippines driver licenses to drive, I basically told him I have an Texas Driver License and that should be good enough, but after a short conversation I was on my way. When I got back to USA I looked it up and it says if you have a US Driver Licenses then it is valid for 90 days, Per LTO office.

Just a FYI incase you get a misinformed guy trying to issue you a ticket in Philippines, and I have driven for years over there, and this was the first case of having an issue over there, albeit a small one.........

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Getting a driver's license in the Phils is rather simple, aside from the waiting..........

Yes, my wife has a Philippines Drivers Licenses she doesn't know how to drive, never took the test just knew somebody.

I figure it best to only have a US license and not a Philippines Licenses, Kinda like in the USA. If you get caught in USA with a Mexico Driver license or without a DL at all you have a much better chance of the cop letting you go without a ticket...........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had a similar incident last year while driving a rental car in Mindanao. I researched ahead of my arrival and knew that a U.S. drivers license is valid in the Philippines. First, I was stopped at a PNP roadblock(soldiers in full combat gear and heavily armed) in the provinces and had no problem showing a California drivers license. Next day was stopped by local cop in CDO who argued that I was suppose to have an International Drivers License. My fiancee ultimately convinced him otherwise(in Bisaya) and later said the cop really wanted a bribe/money. Experiences I will remember for some time.

Yes, my wife has a Philippines Drivers Licenses she doesn't know how to drive, never took the test just knew somebody.

I figure it best to only have a US license and not a Philippines Licenses, Kinda like in the USA. If you get caught in USA with a Mexico Driver license or without a DL at all you have a much better chance of the cop letting you go without a ticket...........

hi vol if you get caught in Pennsylvania without a drivers license you will get a ticket plus they impound the car too and if yoyr a immigrant they might bring you into the station too Edited by teddy k

I usually wear short,flops and t shirt when I ride.

At the hospital she worked in, Chinook saw a lot of riders with broken bones, severe road rash, and worse.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.