nikkikl

U.S. history and government/civics test

7 posts in this topic

Hi all

I have a problem. I have been trying hard to learn as much of the U.S. history/civics as I can and I'm struggling. I have multiple sclerosis which was diagnosed in January this year and one of the problems with MS is memory and cognitive issues. On my own tests (I have an app on my iPad) I am frequently failing entirely due to my memory. I know for sure I can pass the English test. I cannot be sure that I won't fail miserably at the history/civics though.

If this were you, what would you do? File for an exemption? My Neurologist would certainly complete the form without any hesitation. I have submitted my N-400 and I am waiting for a fingerprint date so I'm possibly shutting the door after the horse has bolted but like everything, there must be a way around that.

TIA

Nikki

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all

I have a problem. I have been trying hard to learn as much of the U.S. history/civics as I can and I'm struggling. I have multiple sclerosis which was diagnosed in January this year and one of the problems with MS is memory and cognitive issues. On my own tests (I have an app on my iPad) I am frequently failing entirely due to my memory. I know for sure I can pass the English test. I cannot be sure that I won't fail miserably at the history/civics though.

If this were you, what would you do? File for an exemption? My Neurologist would certainly complete the form without any hesitation. I have submitted my N-400 and I am waiting for a fingerprint date so I'm possibly shutting the door after the horse has bolted but like everything, there must be a way around that.

TIA

Nikki

As I think you've recognized, you could have requested a medical exemption when you submitted your application. That may or may not have been granted.

What you can do now is:

-schedule an info pass appointment, submit the form from your doctor and hope that the accommodation request is eventually added to your application.

-attend your interview and explain the situation at that time. I'm guessing, but I would expect them to either fail you or defer the decision until they review your accommodation request. If they fail you, you will have a second chance to to pass your test so it's important that you get your exemption request in at your interview. Failing that, you'll have to reapply.

-if your condition is not grounds for a medical exemption, them you'll have to forgo naturalization... this doesn't seem likely with a serious condition.

Whether they allow you to request an exemption at the interview, during an Infopass, by mail, or if they will require you to reapply, you will need an N648 form. Details here: http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartE-Chapter3.html

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Also, keep at it... there's no harm in having a back up... rules are rules, but if you get say 4 questions right and you have an exemption form you may get a sympathetic officer who'll just decide not to bother with the extra paperwork.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Thanks, JimmyHou. I'll get the neurologist to complete the form, keep it in hand and practice more between now and the interview. I do still have fingerprints to do although I don't have a date and fingerprints weren't mentioned in the NOA, not sure if that's standard or not? Anyway I'll sort that all out and hopefully I'll either pass or they'll accept the form and I'll skip away a much happier girl :)

Timeline

Thanks, JimmyHou. I'll get the neurologist to complete the form, keep it in hand and practice more between now and the interview. I do still have fingerprints to do although I don't have a date and fingerprints weren't mentioned in the NOA, not sure if that's standard or not? Anyway I'll sort that all out and hopefully I'll either pass or they'll accept the form and I'll skip away a much happier girl :)

The NOA should have said something about background checks... those include fingerprinting.

Do you have anybody that can help you learn the whole concept, not just regurgitate a scripted answer? Coming from a teaching background, I can tell you that if you know examples and situations of how the government works, you are going to be able to give better answers than memorizing questions and answers with unfamiliar terms.

Then there are those questions like name your congressman or members of the Supreme Court...whatever. Write down those names on paper (tactile) and speak them out loud (auditory) to reinforce the learning instead of just trying to memorize a list on your iPad (visual). Your best leaning style may not be visual.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Hi all

I have a problem. I have been trying hard to learn as much of the U.S. history/civics as I can and I'm struggling.

Do you have anybody that can help you learn the whole concept, not just regurgitate a scripted answer? Coming from a teaching background, I can tell you that if you know examples and situations of how the government works, you are going to be able to give better answers than memorizing questions and answers with unfamiliar terms.

Then there are those questions like name your congressman or members of the Supreme Court...whatever. Write down those names on paper (tactile) and speak them out loud (auditory) to reinforce the learning instead of just trying to memorize a list on your iPad (visual). Your best leaning style may not be visual.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.