Unidentified

Pros, cons and general questions about Advanced Parole

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I had not even considered getting an Advanced Parole as I was okay with potentially not coming back to Sweden until I've received my Green Card. But I have now been staying with my parents for the last 1 1/2 months (will stay here until I leave in July) and I have concluded that my dad is not doing great. He will be 72 next month and he has diabetes and all kinds of issues and I suspect he is depressed as well. I am starting to think that maybe applying for Advanced Parole just to have that in case something happens might be a good idea.

What are the pros and cons? I've heard that even if you have it you're not guaranteed re-entry, that they can revoke it at any time? Is there some kind of expiration date attached to the Parole? Cost? I've heard that waiting time is about 3 months or so, it it true or is it shorter, longer?

Thank you so much for all the help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Cons: None that I'm aware of. You might have difficulty at the POE upon your return to the USA, but that would just be due to some a-hole CBP officer and not due to the law. You also will have to fill out an additional form and provide 2 more passport photos when submitting your AOS/AP/EAD.

Pros:

1. It is free (when submitting it along with your I-485/adjustment of status)

2. It gives you "freedom" and the ability to return to the USA if you need to go elsewhere.

Time? We submitted the application in mid-May and the VJ timeline says we should expect it to get it in late July (so a little over 2 months). My wife's biometrics appointment is next week, so feeling semi-confident the timeline will be right. You might want to look at the March/April AOS filers thread to see how they're doing time-wise for EAD/AP.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from Fam.-based AOS to Working & Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thank you so much! Will definitely throw in that form then. Would feel so much better knowing I can head back home if something happens to them :) And I am glad I don't have to pay extra for it. I was trying to find the fee and there were a whole bunch of different fees depending on what type I wanted and there was no real explanation as to what type I should go for :P

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thank you so much! Will definitely throw in that form then. Would feel so much better knowing I can head back home if something happens to them :) And I am glad I don't have to pay extra for it. I was trying to find the fee and there were a whole bunch of different fees depending on what type I wanted and there was no real explanation as to what type I should go for :P

Smart move. There are currently several active threads where the AOS petitioner did not concurrently file for EAD/AP at the same time as the AOS. Only to find out later of the emergent need for travel home for family emergency. Another factor is the current protracted AOS processing times. Though the real deal-maker is that there are no additional fees for EAD/AP if filed concurrently with AOS application.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.