ambitious-outsider

Ukrainian craziness

9 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hi,

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Ukraine. She's got a green card. When going through passport control in Ukraine, my wife was told she needed a stamp in her passport. This is required since she has a green card. I can't find any info for this process on the Ukrainian US embassy websites. Does anyone know how to get this stamp? She was told they could technically hold her in the country and not let her return to the US without it. So right now, she can't go back and visit without it. It's like some kind of BS exit visa, which I thought was stopped a few years ago. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

2004:

Oct 19 - Overnight 129F to USCIS Nebraska

Oct 20 - NOA1

2005:

Jan 7 - NOA2

Feb 4 - Dept of State approval

Feb 14 - Fiance received P3 in mail

Mar 3 - Interview date at Kiev embassy (rescheduled due to heavy snow)

Mar 14 - New interview at Kiev embassy (fingerprinted and put in AR)

Apr12 - Fiance called back to Kiev embassy after AR, must return for 2nd K1 interview

Apr20 - 2nd interview at Kiev embassy (looked at her for 1 minute and said she was approved)

Apr28 - Got visa/passport via Fedex

May4 - Arrived in USA

Jun17 - Married

July11 - Filed for AOS, EAD

Sept18- RFE (Civil Surgeon paperwork sent to USCIS)

Sept21 - Biometrics appt

Oct28 - EAD received

Dec22 - Passed AOS interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have heard anecdotal evidence of the need for this stamp as well. I am only aware of one person who actually managed to get this stamp (If I remember correctly it took the lady's mother quite an effort to receive). They got the stamp from within Ukraine so I do not know if the Ukrainian Embassy in DC can or will help or not. I will look for that information and if I find it I will post.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Hi,

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Ukraine. She's got a green card. When going through passport control in Ukraine, my wife was told she needed a stamp in her passport. This is required since she has a green card. I can't find any info for this process on the Ukrainian US embassy websites. Does anyone know how to get this stamp? She was told they could technically hold her in the country and not let her return to the US without it. So right now, she can't go back and visit without it. It's like some kind of BS exit visa, which I thought was stopped a few years ago. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know the answer....but this BS seems to be the norm in these Former Russian countries..You wouldn't beleive the process the get this new Visa to enter Romania for the interview.. Luckily Veronica has a relative high up in the Moldova Government..and even he needed to go with her to the Moldova embassy and plead her case.. I think even then the only thing that saved us was the expiration of the NOA2 approval.. But then a Bribe might of got it done in minutes...LOL

9/14 2006 I-129F Sent Next day Air

9/15 Recieved and signed for by "Freeman" at NSC

9/19 NOA1 CSC Recieved

9/25 Notice date Check cashed 9/25

9/28 I Recieved NOA1(I-797C) in the mail

12/5 NOA2 12/6 but Approved on 12/5 touch

12/9 Received NOA2(I-797) by snail mail

12/15 NVC has received it..Case # issued...

12/19 NVC shipped to Romania

12/22 Romanian Embassy has received an email from NVC that my Petition is on it's way...

12/29 Packet 3 sent to Veronica

1/12 2007 Packet 3 received Dang Holidays..

1/22 Sending all paperwork(I-134,Bank/Employer letters etc..,)..to Veronica per DHL, 3.5lbs...$144 WOW!

1/25 Recieved notice that She needs to pick up my packet in Chisinau..

1/26 Sending Back Packet 3

2/16 Transit Visa to go to Romania for the Interview approved..

2/20 Leaves for Bucharest overnight drive by bus...

2/21 Medical

2/22 Interview !!!! APPROVED !!!!!

3/9 2007 Flight to me....

4/7 2007 Married,,,

AOS

7/27 Sent I-485, I-864, I-765

7/30 Chicago Recieved I-485,I-765

Veronica is pregant....Due 4/17/08

9/1 Recieved NOA Bio appointment letter

9/8 Recieved NOA1's for both I-485 and I-765

9/18 Bio appointment

Received Green Card.. Nov 2007

Djuliann came 4/25/2008

I-751 Lifting Of Conditions

9/8/2009 Sent I-751

Received NOA 9/21 NOA Receipt Date 9/10/2009

9/24 received Bio letter Dated 9/18

10/9 Bio Appointment

10/23 Received Permanent Resident Card

N-400 2012

Filed for citizenship sent 2/21/2012

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't know the answer....but this BS seems to be the norm in these Former Russian countries..

"Russian" is an ethnicity. There are NO "former Russian" countries - there are "former USSR countries", and it is NOT the same thing. USSR and Russia are not the same thing - Russia was one of the 15 republics in the USSR, and not all USSR citizens were Russian. Moreover, not all citizens of Russia are Russian - we have over a 100 nationalities in Russia alone.

Russian, Ukrainian, Moldovan, Kazakh and the rest are different ethnicities, and we get offended when people confuse them.

I didn't no exit visas still existed in Ukraine, we don't have anything like that in Russia.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline

It's very annoying and capricious. This is her 2nd return trip since leaving. They didn't say anything about it when she left Ukraine on the 1st return trip. This time they were somewhat threating and said they could detain her.

2004:

Oct 20 - NOA1

2005:

Jan 7 - NOA2

Apr12 - Fiance called back to Kiev embassy after AR, must return for 2nd K1 interview

Apr20 - 2nd interview at Kiev embassy (looked at her for 1 minute and said she was approved)

May4 - Arrived in USA

Jun17 - Married

Sept21 - Biometrics appt

Oct28 - EAD received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I do not know which airport you typically fly out of when returning but until such time that you can decipher this "stamp" issue you may want to consider using the VIP service when departing. A lot less hassle! I just departed ODS last month with my fiancees cousin, who is has been here 5 years, and was not hassled for this stamp. Might also be true if you use VIP from KBP. Just an interim thought....

YMMV

I don't know the answer....but this BS seems to be the norm in these Former Russian countries..

"Russian" is an ethnicity. There are NO "former Russian" countries - there are "former USSR countries", and it is NOT the same thing. USSR and Russia are not the same thing - Russia was one of the 15 republics in the USSR, and not all USSR citizens were Russian. Moreover, not all citizens of Russia are Russian - we have over a 100 nationalities in Russia alone.

Russian, Ukrainian, Moldovan, Kazakh and the rest are different ethnicities, and we get offended when people confuse them.

I didn't no exit visas still existed in Ukraine, we don't have anything like that in Russia.

Yes sorry about that..I was just using general terms to keep it simple... Like when people use "You Americans"... Well as you know American is made up with 100's of nationalities.. lots of States...lots of different cultures..etc..., So if we got offended everytime the world lumped us into one thing "Americans" with the idea that we are all the same.. Well wouldn't that be a mess.. So to keep it simple...We don't worry when they say Americans..Idahoian..NorthWestern..US Citizen..etc.,

So again I was using a general term for a general problem .. Didn't mean to offend..:)

But I think the point that I was trying to make..is this.. they seem to adjust/bend the rules to fit the person/Dept. that is enforcing it.. this seems to be a normal problem there..

As for us right in the annex for the new Visa Law's that came into effect jan 2007 it says that Moldovians don't need a invitation letter to get the transit visa.. But they insisted she needed a letter from the consulate..even after I pointed out what is said in the annex..

It's all about the $$$..

Edited by Chris-n-Veronica

9/14 2006 I-129F Sent Next day Air

9/15 Recieved and signed for by "Freeman" at NSC

9/19 NOA1 CSC Recieved

9/25 Notice date Check cashed 9/25

9/28 I Recieved NOA1(I-797C) in the mail

12/5 NOA2 12/6 but Approved on 12/5 touch

12/9 Received NOA2(I-797) by snail mail

12/15 NVC has received it..Case # issued...

12/19 NVC shipped to Romania

12/22 Romanian Embassy has received an email from NVC that my Petition is on it's way...

12/29 Packet 3 sent to Veronica

1/12 2007 Packet 3 received Dang Holidays..

1/22 Sending all paperwork(I-134,Bank/Employer letters etc..,)..to Veronica per DHL, 3.5lbs...$144 WOW!

1/25 Recieved notice that She needs to pick up my packet in Chisinau..

1/26 Sending Back Packet 3

2/16 Transit Visa to go to Romania for the Interview approved..

2/20 Leaves for Bucharest overnight drive by bus...

2/21 Medical

2/22 Interview !!!! APPROVED !!!!!

3/9 2007 Flight to me....

4/7 2007 Married,,,

AOS

7/27 Sent I-485, I-864, I-765

7/30 Chicago Recieved I-485,I-765

Veronica is pregant....Due 4/17/08

9/1 Recieved NOA Bio appointment letter

9/8 Recieved NOA1's for both I-485 and I-765

9/18 Bio appointment

Received Green Card.. Nov 2007

Djuliann came 4/25/2008

I-751 Lifting Of Conditions

9/8/2009 Sent I-751

Received NOA 9/21 NOA Receipt Date 9/10/2009

9/24 received Bio letter Dated 9/18

10/9 Bio Appointment

10/23 Received Permanent Resident Card

N-400 2012

Filed for citizenship sent 2/21/2012

Timeline
I do not know which airport you typically fly out of when returning but until such time that you can decipher this "stamp" issue you may want to consider using the VIP service when departing. A lot less hassle! I just departed ODS last month with my fiancees cousin, who is has been here 5 years, and was not hassled for this stamp. Might also be true if you use VIP from KBP. Just an interim thought....

We left out of ODS. The VIP service is a good idea. That is worth considering.

2004:

Oct 20 - NOA1

2005:

Jan 7 - NOA2

May4 - Arrived in USA

Jun17 - Married

Sept21 - Biometrics appt

Oct28 - EAD received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes sorry about that..I was just using general terms to keep it simple... Like when people use "You Americans"... Well as you know American is made up with 100's of nationalities.. lots of States...lots of different cultures..etc..., So if we got offended everytime the world lumped us into one thing "Americans" with the idea that we are all the same.. Well wouldn't that be a mess.. So to keep it simple...We don't worry when they say Americans..Idahoian..NorthWestern..US Citizen..etc.,

So again I was using a general term for a general problem .. Didn't mean to offend..:)

But I think the point that I was trying to make..is this.. they seem to adjust/bend the rules to fit the person/Dept. that is enforcing it.. this seems to be a normal problem there..

As for us right in the annex for the new Visa Law's that came into effect jan 2007 it says that Moldovians don't need a invitation letter to get the transit visa.. But they insisted she needed a letter from the consulate..even after I pointed out what is said in the annex..

It's all about the $$$..

No offence taken :)

Yep, all those 15 countries inherited their bureaucracy from the good old Soviet Union, so, I guess, we may only see any positive changes when a change of generations happens - that is, in about 50 years from now. And until then, we don't have any other choice but to deal with tons of stupidity.

Edited by Jewel12

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.