bkromka

Recent Naturalized Citizen Sponsoring Parents that own US Property

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I've recently became a US Citizen and now I am in the process of sponsoring my parents for their Green Card / Employment Authorization document. My parents have lived here for over 20 years, originally coming here on a work visa which has since expired (and was never renewed).

I just received an RFE saying: "Based on the documents submitted with Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, for the petitioner/sponsor, the income did not meet 125% of the poverty guideline for the petitioner/sponsor's household size.

Subtmit evidence of assets that meet the standards listed below or obtain a join sponsor......."

My question is, can my parents be their own sponsor? They own their own home (which could be used as an asset) - plus they have money in their bank accounts. All in US, of course. Or does the sponsor need to be an outside party that is a legal resident of this country?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Legal Resident or a USC.

US domiciled.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, it has to be a second home, they cannot be homeless if immigration needed to liquidate their home

so you will need a joint sponsor

you are always the primary sponsor as the petitioner, you will need to get a joint sponsor

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Then they do not qualify

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.