Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

So I am in the U.S. since the end of January where I started a 12-month internship in Finance.

My boss is now asking me what visa I would need to be able to stay after my J1 visa expires in January 2016.

We couldn't apply for an H1B visa as I am not graduated yet. I will have a Bachelor's Degree in October 2015.

I did the DV Lottery, but sadly with no luck. I have no possibility to get married nor do I have enough money for an investor visa.

So after looking up all possible info given by the DoS and every immigration page on Google, I am asking for your advice.

Is it possible to get a second J1 Visa?

Everything I read is that J1 visa can be renewed but only it doesn't exceed the maximum program length. The J1 Intern visa has a maximum period of 12 months (according to the very useless official J1 website).

If there was a way I could get another J1 visa, I could stay and my employer would file for an H1B in April 2016.

I am not subject to the 2-year home residency rule.

As I will graduate in October 2015, I can only apply for the J1 Intern visa because for the Trainee one you need to have finished your studies for 12 months or more.

Please help. If you have other visa ideas, let me know too.

Thank you,

- Eliza

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought is why is he asking you and not his Immigration Lawyer?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at a website that VJ doesn't allow me to link to and it just says 12 months. It mentions for example Au Pair where it specifically says the duration you can extend with but yours only mention 12 months. So I think you need to look into other options.

Edited by Maria&Seve

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.