bluebulb

Houston Naturalization (Citizenship) interview experience (May 2015)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I submitted by N-400 in November and was given a date of May 22 for my interview. 2pm.

I showed up at 1:20pm and was told at the check-in to come back at 1:45pm, so I sat in the waiting area with my book. At 1:45 I walked up to the counter and there were already about 4-5 applicants. By the time I got to the counter there weren't more than 15 applicants, presumably all given the 2pm slot. They checked everyone in in a couple of minutes. They asked only the applicants to wait in line at the counter.

I sat in the waiting area and almost exactly at 2pm they started calling in people one by one. Even here they seemed to restrict the entry into the rooms to only the applicant.

I should clarify though that my interview was very smooth. I have read only scary stories here (I assume people with smooth interviews don't catalog their experience because it's "boring"). So I wanted to catalog an experience from the other side of the spectrum.

I interviewed with a very friendly Filipino lady. She herself was an immigrant so her demeanor was relatively friendly. Out of the 45 mins I spent in her office, official business was only 2-3 mins. The rest of the time she was chatting about a bunch of personal stuff. It was very relaxing. Later on she told me that the paperwork was very organized and it made her job easier. It was a relatively straightforward application.

As for the official conversation - she asked me to read and write a sentence each. She asked six questions - "Why are there 13 stripes on the flag", "What ocean is on the west coast" , "Who signs bills into laws". Don't remember the rest.

She stamped "Approved" on the package about 20 mins in but spent a lot of time marking up the form. I'd made two mistakes on the form and amazingly enough she zeroed in on them pretty quickly - one was my phone number and the other was my daughter's name (I'd written my wife's name by accident).

She said it was done and told me that oath ceremony will be on June 24th and "Congrats!".

Feel free to ask any questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.